Driving the Nullarbor - Perth to Melbourne

My recommendation in terms of Petrol would be to fill up at Ceduna, Eucla & Balladonia or Norseman (if you can make it). Avoid Nullabor, Cocklebiddy, Mundrabilla, Border Village. Too expensive.

DREAM TEAM BUFF

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Fred Medal Ex-Moderator
Feb 9, 2011
Western Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
MUFC & HRT
My recommendation in terms of Petrol would be to fill up at Ceduna, Eucla & Balladonia or Norseman (if you can make it). Avoid Nullabor, Cocklebiddy, Mundrabilla, Border Village. Too expensive.

We fill up at Ceduna , Nundroo sometimes , Border Village , Cocklebiddy & Norseman.

Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Rochester FC, Waroona FC, Pacers
Is anyone else surprised that a series of large towns/cities never sprung up along the Nullarbor? For a country where the majority of the population lives on the coast, for mine it seems odd that this never occurred.

whiteoak

Cancelled
Feb 6, 2013
Uncle Ho's City.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Is anyone else surprised that a series of large towns/cities never sprung up along the Nullarbor? For a country where the majority of the population lives on the coast, for mine it seems odd that this never occurred.

Not surprised in the least.

Large towns and cities supporting, and supported, by what exactly?

Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Rochester FC, Waroona FC, Pacers
Not surprised in the least.

Large towns and cities supporting, and supported, by what exactly?

I'm not talking about a whole network of cities, but perhaps two or three along the coast. Major industries could have been transport, tourism, fishing, mining etc. I'm not suggesting that a city is built now, but why weren't the seeds planted for one 100 years ago. I realise that there are plenty of small towns along the way that died in the arse. Australia has odd places where cities are located, so why not on the Nullarbor?

Or I am being a spazz?

DREAM TEAM BUFF

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Fred Medal Ex-Moderator
Feb 9, 2011
Western Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
MUFC & HRT

They could make Eucla a bigger place.

whiteoak

Cancelled
Feb 6, 2013
Uncle Ho's City.
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm not talking about a whole network of cities, but perhaps two or three along the coast. Major industries could have been transport, tourism, fishing, mining etc. I'm not suggesting that a city is built now, but why weren't the seeds planted for one 100 years ago. I realise that there are plenty of small towns along the way that died in the arse. Australia has odd places where cities are located, so why not on the Nullarbor?

Or I am being a spazz?

There are no viable minerals to speak of. May be discovered in the future.

You'd need a port for both mining and fishing. Lots of cliffs and an angry, dangerous Southern Ocean.

Transporting what to where?

Tourism? People need something to see. And there is only so much time that you can spend looking off a cliff at the ocean. And the caves are too dangerous.

The soil, and rainfall, won't support any kind of intensive agriculture. Hence the cattle and a few sheep stations that the dogs haven't eaten out.

So, no jobs. No population.

Geoff

Premium Platinum
May 13, 2004
W.A.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Did the Melbourne - Perth run on the 18th of March taking 4 days and a bit. We bought a new VW GOLF MKVI 103 TDI (Diesel) Comfortline in Melbourne and decided to drive it back to Perth. New car stock items, No night driving, Commenced driving at 07:00 each morning, Choosing motel accommodation each night, Avoiding Adelaide. Route = Essendon Fields - Wycheproof - Port Augusta - Nullarbor - Norseman - Perth

Day 1. Essendon Fields (3:30pm) - Wycheproof
Day 2. Wycheproof - Port Augusta via Mildura / Renmark / Burra
Day 3. Port Augusta - Nullarbor
Day 4. Nullarbor - Noresman
Day 5. Norseman - Perth

Ess_don

Club Legend
Sep 11, 2009
Sudden Valley
AFL Club
Essendon
Me and a mate are just thinking of doing this atm.. heading to Melbourne, catch a Bombers game by driving across sometime this year.

In terms of the costs, is it significantly more expensive than flying? Obviously it will cost more, especially with the el cheapo $179 flights on jetstar or whatever, but curious on just how much more we'd have to spend on the fuel.
We'd most likely take a Commodore sv6, 10-12L/100km? Then probably just sleep the nights in the car, saving on accommodation.

Of course the experience is a main reason for going, but then again my mate hasnt been to Melbourne before and so I was thinking the time and money would be better spent in Melb instead of driving..

Any opinions? Suggestions?

Cheers

Nov 10, 2008
Bunbury
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham
Me and a mate are just thinking of doing this atm.. heading to Melbourne, catch a Bombers game by driving across sometime this year.

In terms of the costs, is it significantly more expensive than flying? Obviously it will cost more, especially with the el cheapo $179 flights on jetstar or whatever, but curious on just how much more we'd have to spend on the fuel.
We'd most likely take a Commodore sv6, 10-12L/100km? Then probably just sleep the nights in the car, saving on accommodation.

Of course the experience is a main reason for going, but then again my mate hasnt been to Melbourne before and so I was thinking the time and money would be better spent in Melb instead of driving..

Cheers

Didn't Jetstar have 59$ flights out to Melbourne from Perth for June or July or something?

Ess_don

Club Legend
Sep 11, 2009
Sudden Valley
AFL Club
Essendon
Didn't Jetstar have 59$ flights out to Melbourne from Perth for June or July or something?

http://www.perthnow.com.au/business...-melbourne-fares/story-e6frg2s3-1226385974809

Think that was just for last year when Tiger is trying to win back customers after being shutdown..
Cheapest I can find now is about $110, still cheap I guess but I remember being able to book a return from Perth to Melb for just under $200! (On Tiger Airways just before they got closed down mind you!)

Cheers

I'd say you'd be getting well under 10L/100m whilst on the highway.

I think we spent about $800 on Petrol doing 6700km

Back