Drone Operator Career

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 18, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I am constantly thinking of things to do on the side and/or a different career to fall back on down the track. For some reason if been thinking about Drone Operator career even if just in my spare time to start with.

I’ll be honest and say I know very little about this and if it is even viable. But would love advice and general thoughts on this in today’s climate and Into the future

A few thoughts
- license requirements?
- type of work?
- thinking video & photography, so should I look at upskilling in video/photo editing etc.
- Is there currently enough work?
- what does the future hold in the industry?
- is it self employed or can you actually get a job?
- General Drone advice (brands etc)

Really any thoughts and advice would be great

Cheers

Last edited:
The license is ******* expensive and its done through a very serious process. Real estate / property and council or government would be your main money givers.

I know my area now has plenty of competition which has only come from the past 2 years. It would be more of a niche which suits best a suplement to a marketing or creative agency rather than being just a "drone flyer".

There is nothing stopping you from getting a drone and getting footage on weekends and learning the ropes, you can fly for free "just cannot earn money doing it without the license"

I am constantly thinking of things to do on the side and/or a different career to fall back on down the track. For some reason if been thinking about Drone Operator career even if just in my spare time to start with.

I’ll be honest and say I know very little about this and if it is even viable. But would love advice and general thoughts on this in today’s climate and Into the future

A few thoughts
- license requirements?
- type of work?
- thinking video & photography, so should I look at upskilling in video/photo editing etc.
- Is there currently enough work?
- what does the future hold in the industry?
- is it self employed or can you actually get a job?
- General Drone advice (brands etc)

Really any thoughts and advice would be great

Cheers
Did you end up moving into the drone/RPA industry?

I've been in it for around 5 years now as a service provider, consultant, licence and training certification both as a business owner, employee and Chief Remote Pilot.

Sorry I didn't see this post earlier but if this is something you're still interested in I'm happy to share my experiences.

I watched a few at work last year.
We have put in massive solar systems and they used drones for a bit to get a good look at the roofs etc.

I also watch a lot of free climbers online who take drones with them and get amazing footage.

Often thought about waiting for a decent sale and grabbing something small just to fly around with on my couple acres to see how easy they are to control and what kind of footage i could get and to see how good i was at controlling one.

I've been in it for around 5 years now as a service provider, consultant, licence and training certification both as a business owner, employee and Chief Remote Pilot.

Sorry I didn't see this post earlier but if this is something you're still interested in I'm happy to share my experiences.

no mate... still doing my day job. Didn’t feel I could make a go of it and especially living in country sa

Trust you are kicking goals :thumbsu:

Came across this:

OR

if you've been watching too many movies, join the military.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back