Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
May 1, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Mark McGough needs a break. The kid is only 17 and the year is starting to take its toll on him. He should be sent to the VFL to recharge his batteries and learn to have a bit of fun. Harsh as it sounds he should be dropped while the team is fit and Cole Didak Johnson and co are playing well. He will get his chance soon enough via form or injury.

Thoughts?

Originally posted by Kane McGoodwin
Sounds fine with me - do reckon you can bring Dimmatina in for McGough. ;)

Dimma kicked 4 for Williamstown on the weekend and was best on ground. Hes a chance to play i think.

I agree about Mcgough..give the kid a break now, time to freshen up for the finals, hes been good, but at the same time not as good as his first few games. Send him back to the 2's for a few weeks and rip a few teams apart, then get him back in the seniors, and continue his form from his first few games.

Originally posted by Kane McGoodwin
Sounds fine with me - do reckon you can bring Dimmatina in for McGough. ;)

Nice try Kane. You might need Dimma in our side to give the Crows a chance of winning!

Originally posted by hotpie
Mark McGough needs a break. The kid is only 17 and the year is starting to take its toll on him. He should be sent to the VFL to recharge his batteries and learn to have a bit of fun. Harsh as it sounds he should be dropped while the team is fit and Cole Didak Johnson and co are playing well. He will get his chance soon enough via form or injury.

Thoughts?

He's a bloody good player, leave him in the side

Originally posted by PiesPremiers
Dimma kicked 4 for Williamstown on the weekend and was best on ground. Hes a chance to play i think.
No wucken fay! If he is selected to play for us ever again, I will be more cut than when "Australia" decided that Peter deserved to win Big Brother!!

Dimatinna is the Peter of our Club IMO.

McGough even at half intensity is miles ahead of Dimma. Dimma got 3 posessions in most of a game of football against Richmond. McGough got four times that in a "poor" one on Saturday coming off the bench!

If McGough was going to have a rest and make room for someone, then it should be someone with an ounce of talent like Chipper.

I don't belive he needs a rest after the mid season break that was built into the draw anyway.He is totally different to a normal 17yo in that his body shape and deameaner are well above any other player of his vintage.If he loses form he should be dropped like any other player but at the moment he is holding his place well.

BTW, it was McGough's 18th on the 20th of June, two days after Rohan's boy's. He may be able to actually drive to his games now!

if he's not suffering an injury or bad form, why change anything?? last 2 weeks he and cloke have spent considerable time on the bench and Malthouse is aware not to over run them.

He's rotating his youngsters on and off the bench so they get equal playing time. McGough is still a value if he only players 30-50 minutes of footy.

Originally posted by Nic
BTW, it was McGough's 18th on the 20th of June, two days after Rohan's boy's. He may be able to actually drive to his games now!

He's just gotten his first car and the mintute he drives it to training the boys swiped his keys and moved the car around the corner to make it look as if it had been stolen :p poor Marky shat himself!

Did anyone else see him on that young guns show......lookt like a shy nervous little boy hehe his high school friend came on and spoke much more confidently than him!

On the subject of dropping him while i agree he could get burnt out, getting sent back to the reserves for a 'rest' may hurt his confidence. Who is to say there would even be a spot for him come September anyway. His replacement may do a better job.

I still reckon McGough needs to be dropped.

While we're at it we need to get O'Bree playing better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by hotpie
I still reckon McGough needs to be dropped.

While we're at it we need to get O'Bree playing better.

Who comes in for McGough for the cats game if he's dropped?

Steinfort, Adkins, Dimatinna - plenty of choice. Also Holland or Molloy if fit.

Out of those three I think I'd prefer Steiner. As long as he's shaved before then. Maybe it's young Davo's turn to debut against the team his dad works for (and I think played for???).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back