Drop the bass! A thread for killer basslines

Remove this Banner Ad

Not much of a mention to probably the greatest Bass player ever. He influenced every bass player who heard him from the mid 70's onwards. Metallica's bass player Robert Trujillo described Jaco Pastorious as "the most important musician you might have never heard of". Fantastic work with Weather Report and Joni Mitchell. Sadly was beaten to death by a bouncer aged just 35.

Jaco Pastorious live on Joni Mitchell's "Coyote"

Pastorious' fretless bass influence on Pino Palladino can be heard in his playing on Paul Young's song "Wherever I Lay My Hat".

Palladino is now the Who's bass player replacing possibly the very first electric bass superstar, John Entwistle. Listen to his playing on "My Generation" from 1965.

Last edited:
Paslladino is now the Who's bass player replacing possibly the very first electric bass superstar, John Entwistle. Listen to his playing on "My Generation" from 1965.
My favourite musician. In my humble opinion, the greatest bass guitarist of them all. This version of "My Generation" (along with the extended jam that follows) turns the original into overdrive.

I never really paid attention to the bass line in this song, but after watching a Carol Kaye special where she talked about the bass playing on this song. I went back and had a listen. It really is terrific right from the opening. Way ahead of the times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Max Bennett on this wonderful Joni Mitchell track. "The Hissing of the Summer Lawns" written about the strange relationship between Jose Feliciano and his wife. A superb example of what the bass was capable of in the hands of a talented and inventive player.

I came here to say Roundabout too.

You could say pretty much any Rush song but this is the one I think of

It's funny how much Dream Theater were the successor to Rush

Max Merritt and the Meteors - Max Merritt, Bob Bertles, Stewie Speer and Dave Russell on Bass with their 1969 hit. Great bass lines!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back