DRS

(Log in to remove this ad.)

greatwhiteshark

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
I have an issue that no balls are only checked if a wicket is taken. Now while I understand that batsman should not be given out if it’s a no ball the problem is that if you are not going to check every ball then you should not be checking wicket balls.
Don’t mind the DRS in general but hate the review situation. Players should be left out of it. If the third umpire thinks a decision is wrong he should intervene and go through his process.

The Swans Blog

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Swans Blog
What does everybody think? Watching the first test everyone is bagging the umps (rightly in the case of No Balls/but which should be up to technology to call or better get rid of the front foot rule and just do back foot) but some of the overturned decisions were bizarre.

1) The LBWs. Hawkeye dramatically over estimates the bounce. How often is a spinner bowling it lands half way down hits the knee roll only to be ruled clearing the stumps. Give me a break.

2) Hot Spot. Snicko. While these are good there is too much emphasis on these. Like the Cummins one. His pad and arms blocked the wrist strap of his golve where the ball hit. Yet the 3rd ump said because there was no hot spot the decision was over turned.

I'd have this like the Goal ump in footy. In that the umpire gives his call it goes upstairs and then the 3rd umpire decides. Either over turned/upheld or back to umpires call. Use any relevant technology but the ultimate call should be the umpires not what the "inaccurate" technology is telling them.
There was a trial in 2013 where fixed cameras were set up for a test match to judge no balls. ICC said that it was cost prohibitive for all other tests.

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
St Kilda
What does everybody think? Watching the first test everyone is bagging the umps (rightly in the case of No Balls/but which should be up to technology to call or better get rid of the front foot rule and just do back foot) but some of the overturned decisions were bizarre.

1) The LBWs. Hawkeye dramatically over estimates the bounce. How often is a spinner bowling it lands half way down hits the knee roll only to be ruled clearing the stumps. Give me a break.

2) Hot Spot. Snicko. While these are good there is too much emphasis on these. Like the Cummins one. His pad and arms blocked the wrist strap of his golve where the ball hit. Yet the 3rd ump said because there was no hot spot the decision was over turned.

I'd have this like the Goal ump in footy. In that the umpire gives his call it goes upstairs and then the 3rd umpire decides. Either over turned/upheld or back to umpires call. Use any relevant technology but the ultimate call should be the umpires not what the "inaccurate" technology is telling them.
It may appear that way with the bounce but I don’t think it over estimates it significantly. Especially with a guy like Lyon when the batsmans forward it’s unlikely to be hitting.

Kram

I'll brik u
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal

frankrizzo

Norm Smith Medallist
Why does cricinfo keep talking about kohli being angry about an overturned decision?

I thought it was a not out for caught behind and without conclusive evidence stayed as it was, kohli whinging doesn't mean a mistake was made and india did not suffer from an overturned call.

Adelaide Hawk

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
The part that cracks me up about DRS is when an umpire gives a batsman out, it is changed to "not out" by the 3rd umpire, and the fielding captain starts arguing with the central umpire who actually gave it out in the first place :)

AFL Club
Sydney
I have an issue that no balls are only checked if a wicket is taken. Now while I understand that batsman should not be given out if it’s a no ball the problem is that if you are not going to check every ball then you should not be checking wicket balls.
Don’t mind the DRS in general but hate the review situation. Players should be left out of it. If the third umpire thinks a decision is wrong he should intervene and go through his process.

"could" have been the difference in the Edgbaston '05 or Adelaide 92/93 tests and warnie would've had a test ton.

Top Bottom