Remove this Banner Ad

NonPhixion

Bookie Assassin
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tony Ferguson
Funny reading this in November. On day 2 without smoking again, probably for the first time since this post. Anyone who tells you that you can't be addicted to marijuana is full of sh*t. In the last year and a half, I have maybe not smoked for 10-15 days total.
Agree 100%. Had a legitimate addiction to it myself for 3 years I was going through an O a week. No joke.
The 1st week is the hardest, once you get over that it becomes a lot easier as you feel yourself feeling better with a clearer head. Just keep yourself busy man & the more days that go by where you don’t smoke the easier it gets. I’m at the point now where I will only smoke every now and then maybe once a month. The trick is to pick up small quantities when you do want to have the occasional smoke, otherwise you just go through it.
Keep at it man. there’s a lot of positives to it, other than health reasons, especially getting your dreams back.

Engimal v3

Premium Platinum
Sep 21, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Agree 100%. Had a legitimate addiction to it myself for 3 years I was going through an O a week. No joke.
The 1st week is the hardest, once you get over that it becomes a lot easier as you feel yourself feeling better with a clearer head. Just keep yourself busy man & the more days that go by where you don’t smoke the easier it gets. I’m at the point now where I will only smoke every now and then maybe once a month. The trick is to pick up small quantities when you do want to have the occasional smoke, otherwise you just go through it.
Keep at it man. there’s a lot of positives to it, other than health reasons, especially getting your dreams back.
Cheers mate. On day 3 now, going well. Monday was hell, couldn't think about anything else. Pulled about 10 buckets of weeds out of my garden just to keep my mind off it. Still feeling a bit nauseous, but the anxiety and sweats and stopped now.

I'm not trying to quit completely, I just can't keep going 7 days a week on it. Too much time wasted. Thanks for the advice!

radiojake

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
I wonder if it's the weed that is addictive, or the routine ?

I smoked pretty much daily for 15 years - I would go through phases cutting down, or trying to cut down, but if there was weed in my room, I was smoking it when I got home from work/school/whatever more times than not
I certainly thought I was addicted to it for most of that

But then I got this job that drug tests, and I had to stop - and suddenly it was quite easy to stop

Sure I miss it sometimes, but it wasn't hard to stop once I had a proper reason

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Engimal v3

Premium Platinum
Sep 21, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I wonder if it's the weed that is addictive, or the routine ?

I smoked pretty much daily for 15 years - I would go through phases cutting down, or trying to cut down, but if there was weed in my room, I was smoking it when I got home from work/school/whatever more times than not
I certainly thought I was addicted to it for most of that

But then I got this job that drug tests, and I had to stop - and suddenly it was quite easy to stop

Sure I miss it sometimes, but it wasn't hard to stop once I had a proper reason
It's not the weed, it's your brain. When you've got nothing to do, you convince yourself that smoking is "doing something". After a while, you forget that there's anything else to do with your free time. That's what it's like for me, anyway.

radiojake

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
It's not the weed, it's your brain. When you've got nothing to do, you convince yourself that smoking is "doing something". After a while, you forget that there's anything else to do with your free time. That's what it's like for me, anyway.
excellent description - hadn't quite thought of it like that before

PoppedCorn

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 29, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
West Ham 76ers
Agree
Its def a habit
We go away for 5 days or so and the first day I'm like shesh I wouldn't mind a cone about now, usually of an evening.
Because that's my routine at home, so become accustomed to that
But then I find after the first day of two I'm not really thinking about it.
Get home and straight back into the old routine tho
Thinking of cutting out weeknights and maybe just have a few over the weekend if I'm in the yard....but fmd after a ten hr weekday shift I like to relax and I barely drink so have a smoke.

Ounce lasts a good 3 months so it's not like I'm smashing it

metic

All Australian
Nov 20, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
A clever mate tried to talk me into a herb vaper , and have to agree its good idea.
Healthier tar levels in your body etc
Plus mixing tobaco in cost big tax nowadays.
(Luckily get sent from a pal who works in Png duty free)
Apparently 150 bucks get a good butane unit. Anyone able to discuss the price for value situation ?

PoppedCorn

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 29, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
West Ham 76ers
Dunno
I know someone that bought some vape thingy that had a porcelain bowl maybe?
Got it from Off Ya Tree I think?

metic

All Australian
Nov 20, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Saw a beautiful crop of poppies today and the strain is from a tassie poppy farm. Theyre not for tapping though, they're grown for seeds on bread .

The point is,
Another backyard poppy grower gave me some gum recently to smoke, it tasted unique and sweet flowery but theres not much noticable narcotic effect , why is that ?
Have smoked on H----n so know the difference (and appreciate the flavors)

Last edited:

Joker91

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 3, 2012
Tigerland
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Cheers mate. On day 3 now, going well. Monday was hell, couldn't think about anything else. Pulled about 10 buckets of weeds out of my garden just to keep my mind off it. Still feeling a bit nauseous, but the anxiety and sweats and stopped now.

I'm not trying to quit completely, I just can't keep going 7 days a week on it. Too much time wasted. Thanks for the advice!
Update?

Engimal v3

Premium Platinum
Sep 21, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Actually have managed to cut back. Started off really strong where I was only smoking weekends, but fell into a comfortable groove. I used to be a 7 day a week smoker, and now I'm a 4-5 day smoker, although that varies. Even when I do smoke on a weekday, I'm doing it at 10pm and having a few puffs, rather than getting home at 6:30pm and being stoned all night. Also, If I used to run out on Sunday, I'd be buying a quarter on Monday. Now if I run out on Sunday, I'll wait until Friday to buy again.

Still have a lot of work to do, but getting there I feel. Small wins.

William Wonka

Jesus died for somebodies sins but not mine
May 28, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Funny reading this in November. On day 2 without smoking again, probably for the first time since this post. Anyone who tells you that you can't be addicted to marijuana is full of sh*t. In the last year and a half, I have maybe not smoked for 10-15 days total.
Agree
Its def a habit
We go away for 5 days or so and the first day I'm like shesh I wouldn't mind a cone about now, usually of an evening.
Because that's my routine at home, so become accustomed to that
But then I find after the first day of two I'm not really thinking about it.
Get home and straight back into the old routine tho
Thinking of cutting out weeknights and maybe just have a few over the weekend if I'm in the yard....but fmd after a ten hr weekday shift I like to relax and I barely drink so have a smoke.

Ounce lasts a good 3 months so it's not like I'm smashing it
Are you blokes mixing it with tobacco?
If so- there is your problem.
If not- see below.
A clever mate tried to talk me into a herb vaper , and have to agree its good idea.
Healthier tar levels in your body etc
Plus mixing tobaco in cost big tax nowadays.
(Luckily get sent from a pal who works in Png duty free)
Apparently 150 bucks get a good butane unit. Anyone able to discuss the price for value situation ?
Havent combusted weed since about 2002.
Vaping gives you 'as much or as little as you choose' type arrangement with green.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NonPhixion

Bookie Assassin
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tony Ferguson
Are you blokes mixing it with tobacco?
If so- there is your problem.
If not- see below.

Havent combusted weed since about 2002.
Vaping gives you 'as much or as little as you choose' type arrangement with green.
yeh ill be honest I always mix with tobacco. Cant stand smoking it straight especially in a cone, not a pleasant experience for me. Vaping is a very nice way of getting blazed. I've used a volcano vaporizer a few times in the past & those things are real good, if I had more cash id definitely invest in one.

William Wonka

Jesus died for somebodies sins but not mine
May 28, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
yeh ill be honest I always mix with tobacco. Cant stand smoking it straight especially in a cone, not a pleasant experience for me. Vaping is a very nice way of getting blazed. I've used a volcano vaporizer a few times in the past & those things are real good, if I had more cash id definitely invest in one.
Hard not to be addicted to cones when they are chock full of nicotine.
Ive never smoked a cigarette but put god knows how many of the horrible things through a bong for the best part of a decade.
I had a lovely little nicotine habit by the end just through the pipe- to the point id rather cut off a finger joint than go through quitting them again.

The only reason I was able to quit is I got a flu and literally couldn't smoke for a few days.
Even then I pulled about 40 cones of straight green an hour for the next few days still chasing that nicotine hit.
So yeah cant help you with taking the tobacco out but if you do manage it you will see how little if at all youre hooked on green.

Vaping is excellent and there are many options available (completely different apparatus to nicotine vaping)

I like the vaporstar cause it replicates pulling cones so you get the same ritual etc.
But the electronic 'whip' type vapes are probably a step up efficiency wise.

Volcanos are the top of the tree, german technology for ******* you up.
Probably better for someone who wants to significantly increase their cannabis consumption rather than reduce it though.

biggiemediums

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 20, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chelsea, Storm, Heart.
I used to smoke weed alongside EVERYTHING. It got to a point where everything was boring as hell without weed. Now I only smoke during certain things - I know what I like to do sober and what I enjoy high. I also mix it up. Edibles, joint, bong, pipe, vape. That way i'm not getting used to a pattern or routine which is where the addiction comes into play I believe.

This has changed everything for me - I can now go days without and not get irritated, agitated or bored. I still smoke a lot - but I can go without now. I think it's all about your relationship with the plant. Use it for everything, you can't go without.

Don't get me wrong - once that sh*t's legal and more available my use will be more. I prefer life high, so why the fu** not.

metic

All Australian
Nov 20, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn

"In an interview with Nine News Perth, WA Police Commissioner Chris Dawson said the current strategies in the war on drugs were not working and it was easier to buy meth on Perth streets now than 10 years ago.

“Chalking up a criminal conviction for a user has not been proven to be demonstrable,” Mr Dawson said.

“I use the example of cannabis; if it’s under the prescribed amount and they are a first or second-time user depending on their age they can get diverted off.” "

Bomberboyokay

Hall of Famer
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
If you're mixing cannabis with tobacco as a matter of course, you're almost certainly addicted to the tobacco. In 2015/16 began adding tobacco to what I rolled on weekends because it 'burns smoother, doesn't go out' etc (bong went in the bin in 2013). Come 2018 I realised "fu**, that's a lot of tobacco by now..." and got rid of it. By next weekend, the need to get high had dropped right off. I've never been addicted to normal cigarettes but had become unwittingly addicted.

Anyway, last time I got high was 2019 AFL Grand Final weekend. And... I feel fine. I'm sure eventually I'll buy some again. Would merrily partake if a friend/partygoer offers. But after 8 years of doing it every weekend (and more...) there was maybe a sense of pointlessness? And that it was making my free time less productive than it can be. It had become what alcohol is to many people in terms of a substitute to accepting your feelings about what's going in life and stress etc. Done with the smoke though. It'll be butter or a vapour when I buy again.

Last edited:

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal
What's the shelf life of MDMA? Allegedly may have had some caps that had been capped around 12 months ago and when taking them a year later didn't have any effect.

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal
Tip my hat to you for if said drugs were in a reachable place for 12 months and were not taken.
Gave them to my houesmate for a festival last year and he never used them. Came up in conversation last night when I mentioned I was running low on supplies that he still had them sitting there.

Gigantic

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Rabbitohs, Liverpool, Phoenix Suns
What's the shelf life of MDMA? Allegedly may have had some caps that had been capped around 12 months ago and when taking them a year later didn't have any effect.
Depends where you've stored it. If in a cool, dark place then probably be good more than a year later I reckon

SSwans2011

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 7, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
West Coast Wonders, Crystal Palace
Despite probably not being the best idea given we're both going through pretty rough times at the moment, had some shrooms with a mate last week and went for a long walk and just chatted about life and what we're going through. Easily one of the most fulfilling drug experiences I've ever had, even if not the most "fun". Saved the "fun" part for when I got given a fair amount of free coke a few days later. Wouldn't go near it if it wasn't free, but went to a gig and had a great time nonetheless.

Also wanted to see if anyone here has had similar experience, but I'm currently on SSRIs and my GP has suggested we bump up my dosage, yet (understandably) is hugely reluctant, and even dismissive, as soon as I enquire about sedatives. I understand why, but honestly, I'm much more concerned about ever trying to come off antidepressants, assuming my dosage continues to be increased, than I am staying on the same dosage and developing a valium dependency. A bit of a frustrating situation, even if I completely understand my GP's perspective.

Soups

Premium Platinum
Jul 16, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
One of my close mates (haven’t had contact in over a year) has been fully caught up in the oxy world. Sad really, owned his own business and now has cooked himself and lives in a world of delusion. Will be lucky to be around for much longer. Be careful out there, that sh*t is f’ed!

Top Bottom