Drugs

Remove this Banner Ad

Mudguts12

Team Captain
Jul 6, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
My sons problem was over the counter and prescription pain killers, doctor and chemist shopping. He was a pot smoker from when he was around 15, he smoked everyday, breakfast, lunch, and dinner, then to get to sleep at night.
I can't say, with hand on heart, that I didn't know, I think I chose not to know, if that makes sense. But it got worse for him.
One day i'm driving down Canning Hwy in Perth and I get a phone call from my daughter, she tells me she was looking in her brothers room and saw him shooting up, everything dropped inside of me at that moment, but of course I told her she was lying, I screamed down the phone at her, this poor 14 year old girl who thought she was doing the right thing, which she was, was being abused, called all sorts of terrible names by her mother. I arrived home and refused to discuss it with her, we never have and that was 20 years ago!
So trying not to make this too long, the next year was unbearable for me, their father and I had an awful marriage for 22 years and I always said to myself that when the kids were old enough i'd leave him, and I did, my daughter was 15, my son was 18, I begged them to come with me but neither of them would leave their dad, I can understand why, he was well off and a pretty decent father, so they stayed with him.
I had to move states, I came back to S.A. to be with my family, he threatened me on nearly a daily basis if I didn't come home so I ran, gutless, yes, life saving, yes...
So the years went on, my children and I had a good relationship even though it was long distance.
But without my knowledge my sons pot smoking had got out of control and he found the cheapest way to combat the pain of withdrawals was to medicate with pain killers, it would be nothing for him to take 20 panadiene forté at a time, then one night after he'd been to the funeral of his best mate he passed away, the Coroners report said he died of multiple drug toxicity, they didn't know if it was a suicide or an accidental overdose. I like to think of it as accidental, I can't bear the thought of him taking his own life.
It has had a massive impact on my daughters and his fathers life, she spends all of her money on psychics, even to this day, 3 years, 11 1/2 months later she's still doing it. My ex husband tells me that it's all my fault for leaving, he doesn't have to tell me that though, I blame myself for the whole sordid mess, the guilt I carry everday is dibilitating sometimes..
Some of you may judge me, and i'm ok with that but I just wanted to share how pot can be very addictive, people say that you have to have an addictive personality, I call BS on that, it can happen to anyone!!
Sorry for the novel, once I started I couldn't stop, this is the only place in nearly 4 years that ivé felt safe enough to tell my story, I thank you all for that!
Thank you for sharing. Your story hit me pretty
hard. I'm sorry for your loss and hope you can unburden yourself of your guilt sometime soon.

It doesn't sound like there was much you could have done to control the choices of your son, he needed to want to help himself first. Its not your fault.

I grew up south of the river in WA and every single one of my old friends have been ruined by weed. They're just shells of the people they used to be. I worry about this happening one day with my young children and hope they'll have some resilience in this crazy world.

I find that people espouse heavy weed use being 'safe' a bit misguided for various reasons and obviously don't know many older smokers to see the long term results.

Peace.

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal
You think you're so smart, and start jotting stuff down. Last time I did, I checked my notes the next morning and I wrote "are there cartoons for deaf people?" Lol
I always had a writing sheet on hand for my wisdom when tripping.

Spoiler alert very little of it, if any, was close to wisdom. Most of it was being stuck in a recursive loop writing the same thing several different ways.

resinparrot

Draftee
Apr 13, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Well, I tried a little, but I can say for sure that I don't like its effect. You either start to slow down, or you start hallucinations. In any case, you are not in this world. And I feel good here too. Why run away from yourself?

metic

All Australian
Nov 20, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Well, I tried a little, but I can say for sure that I don't like its effect. You either start to slow down, or you start hallucinations. In any case, you are not in this world. And I feel good here too. Why run away from yourself?
Well, what did you try a little of ?

joop

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
Thank you for sharing. Your story hit me pretty
hard. I'm sorry for your loss and hope you can unburden yourself of your guilt sometime soon.

It doesn't sound like there was much you could have done to control the choices of your son, he needed to want to help himself first. Its not your fault.

I grew up south of the river in WA and every single one of my old friends have been ruined by weed. They're just shells of the people they used to be. I worry about this happening one day with my young children and hope they'll have some resilience in this crazy world.

I find that people espouse heavy weed use being 'safe' a bit misguided for various reasons and obviously don't know many older smokers to see the long term results.

Peace.
What are the various reasons? And why do you think it's misguided? Not trying to start an argument but I'm always keen to hear from the other side.

Mudguts12

Team Captain
Jul 6, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
What are the various reasons? And why do you think it's misguided? Not trying to start an argument but I'm always keen to hear from the other side.
I guess due to the fact that whilst it doesn't contain any physical addictive elements, it is certainly habit forming. Leads to a cycle of dependency using it as a crutch to suppress emotion and then evolves into amotivational behaviour- apathy, isolation etc.

I find that if people sustain heavy use since their teenage tears they get stuck in kind of a time warp whete they are unable to take the next step into adulthood. Commonly end up perpetually living with their folks and unable to hold down a job. Not even capable of having a conversation that stays on track without digressing into god knows what.

IMO It robs people of their focus and potential and is damaging on a 'psychic' level where we don't yet have the method or understanding to fully quantify the extent of this harm.

I acknowledge that this is not always the case and some people can function in society with it but this would be in the minority imo. I'm also talking about sustained heavy smoking, not just a sneaky joint after work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

joop

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
I guess due to the fact that whilst it doesn't contain any physical addictive elements, it is certainly habit forming. Leads to a cycle of dependency using it as a crutch to suppress emotion and then evolves into amotivational behaviour- apathy, isolation etc.

I find that if people sustain heavy use since their teenage tears they get stuck in kind of a time warp whete they are unable to take the next step into adulthood. Commonly end up perpetually living with their folks and unable to hold down a job. Not even capable of having a conversation that stays on track without digressing into god knows what.

IMO It robs people of their focus and potential and is damaging on a 'psychic' level where we don't yet have the method or understanding to fully quantify the extent of this harm.

I acknowledge that this is not always the case and some people can function in society with it but this would be in the minority imo. I'm also talking about sustained heavy smoking, not just a sneaky joint after work.
Pretty vague and cliche stereotype stoner you’re talking about.
I think it’s all about the individual. People want to blame weed because they don’t want to acknowledge or take responsibility for how they live their life.
On the contrary I know 3 people who you would class as a heavy user, myself not included. 1 owns 3 BJJ gyms around Melbourne, 1 is a lecturer and the other is a general manager for a public listed company. Fair cry from living with mum n dad eating cereal 3 times a day.

Mudguts12

Team Captain
Jul 6, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Pretty vague and cliche stereotype stoner you’re talking about.
I think it’s all about the individual. People want to blame weed because they don’t want to acknowledge or take responsibility for how they live their life.
On the contrary I know 3 people who you would class as a heavy user, myself not included. 1 owns 3 BJJ gyms around Melbourne, 1 is a lecturer and the other is a general manager for a public listed company. Fair cry from living with mum n dad eating cereal 3 times a day.
Yes it reads as stereotypical because it's a pretty well established and consistent pattern of stoner behaviour.
How long have you been smoking for and what age did u start if you don't mind me asking?
Im just calling it as I've seen it over my life so far from many close friends and family. I'm glad it works for you, it just doesn't work for a lot of people though, myself included, where it exacerbates destructive ways of thinking and being. Yes I agree it come down to the individual as well.

joop

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
Yes it reads as stereotypical because it's a pretty well established and consistent pattern of stoner behaviour.
How long have you been smoking for and what age did u start if you don't mind me asking?
Im just calling it as I've seen it over my life so far from many close friends and family. I'm glad it works for you, it just doesn't work for a lot of people though, myself included, where it exacerbates destructive ways of thinking and being. Yes I agree it come down to the individual as well.
This is incorrect.
It’s stereotypical behaviour because people have been told for decades that this is what it does to you.
The university of Miami just released a study that was done over 15 years that found people who smoked more were actually more inclined to exercise, eat better and less prone to obesity.
Here’s the link to the article;

Let’s not forget it was also peddled as a ‘gateway’ drug for many years, again this is incorrect. Opioid addiction and prescriptions are down in nearly all states and provinces in North American where cannabis has been legalized.
I smoked my first joint when I was 14 so I have been smoking for nearly 20 years.
You don’t blame food for people being obese, you blame people’s lifestyle choices and that’s exactly the same with cannabis.

Mudguts12

Team Captain
Jul 6, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
This is incorrect.
It’s stereotypical behaviour because people have been told for decades that this is what it does to you.
The university of Miami just released a study that was done over 15 years that found people who smoked more were actually more inclined to exercise, eat better and less prone to obesity.

Let’s not forget it was also peddled as a ‘gateway’ drug for many years, again this is incorrect. Opioid addiction and prescriptions are down in nearly all states and provinces in North American where cannabis has been legalized.
I smoked my first joint when I was 14 so I have been smoking for nearly 20 years.
You don’t blame food for people being obese, you blame people’s lifestyle choices and that’s exactly the same with cannabis.
This is incorrect.

You pick a study saying one thing, I'll find one saying the opposite:

Though I appreciate the link it looks like an interesting read and something else for me to consider in my views. Yes I agree the gateway drug thing is a load of crap. Again I'm not basing my opinion on 'Reefer Madness' style propaganda but through personal experience.

You appear to be a strong advocate for its use, just be mindful that it's not for everyone. Peace.

joop

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
You pick a study saying one thing, I'll find one saying the opposite:

Though I appreciate the link it looks like an interesting read and something else for me to consider in my views. Yes I agree the gateway drug thing is a load of crap. Again I'm not basing my opinion on 'Reefer Madness' style propaganda but through personal experience.

You appear to be a strong advocate for its use, just be mindful that it's not for everyone. Peace.
Nah of course it’s not for everyone, I would never say it is. Hell there are certain strains I’ve smoked that have given me insane anxiety and almost panic attacks.
It’s all about what does and doesn’t work for individuals, which again is my point about people making and taking responsibility for their own choices.

metic

All Australian
Nov 20, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Possible major difference between weed smokers who mix tobacco and those that don't. From personal experience those that don't mix the baccy are on another level to those that do...

Remove this Banner Ad