Noosa
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Ana Ivanovic
What's your view on different drugs?

Have you done drugs?

Do you regularly do drugs?

Come One Come all Discuss the broad topic of Drugs here.

Dec 7, 2000
Victoria home of football
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles
Its all fun and games till someone loses an eye.
Having seen the effects drugs have on people, i cannot imagine myself ever touching the stuff. Really sad when you see close friends destroy their lives because they got influenced by the wrong crowd.

Anyone who brags about using drugs needs to get their heads checked.

buffalopride

Team Captain
Mar 6, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Having seen the effects drugs have on people, i cannot imagine myself ever touching the stuff. Really sad when you see close friends destroy their lives because they got influenced by the wrong crowd.

drugs r good

Oct 23, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

As long as you don't think anyone who actually believes in the odd recreational use being safe is 'bragging'.

In response to the OP:

1. People should be able to do what they want if it does not harm others and they do it in a safe manner.
2. Yes
3. Not often, but often enough (no I don't know what that means either)

peter1979

Club Legend
Suspended
Mar 1, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton

it depends on whether its imposed or forced on u.
what becomes of those that didnt want the drugs, yet their parents or step parents are drug pushers.
no they are a problem for many these days, and we shouldnt condemn those who have grown up around drugs and try and be more understanding.
at the end of the day its an issue the government has to contend with.

peter1979

Club Legend
Suspended
Mar 1, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton

Have you done drugs?

depends what u mean by that question?
forced to take drugs or free willingly take drugs.
free willingly no
otherwise, yes.
as an answer to the next question, no:)

Dec 7, 2000
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles
In response to the OP:

1. People should be able to do what they want if it does not harm others and they do it in a safe manner.

Drugs hurt more people than just those who use it or those around them. Burglary, extortion, murder, forced labour, etc all are committed in the name of drugs.

Ever wonder who produces drugs? Or how they're produced? Distributes them? Imports them into the country? How an unemployed junkie can afford their habit?
You think its just a coincidence that drugs are always associated with the underworld?

People just use this BS "its my body and I can do what I want" or "as long as its not hurting anyone" excuses to justify using drugs. Try looking at the bigger picture, and then tell me drug use is fine so long as it doesn't hurt anyone.

Oct 23, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Drugs hurt more people than just those who use it or those around them. Burglary, extortion, murder, forced labour, etc all are committed in the name of drugs.

Ever wonder who produces drugs? Or how they're produced? Distributes them? Imports them into the country? How an unemployed junkie can afford their habit?
You think its just a coincidence that drugs are always associated with the underworld?

People just use this BS "its my body and I can do what I want" or "as long as its not hurting anyone" excuses to justify using drugs. Try looking at the bigger picture, and then tell me drug use is fine so long as it doesn't hurt anyone.

Well then perhaps the government could try controlling it a little better.

There will always be drugs, and while they are illegal people will commit crimes to produce them.

It doesn't take many of the above things to grow a marijuana plant, either.

Dec 7, 2000
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles

There will always be drugs, and while they are illegal people will commit crimes to produce them.

Haha, are you serious? That's your argument?

Nice of you to use marijuana as the example. How about we take the other extreme and look at Ice?

Aug 15, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yea, i've done my share of drugs. I can honestly say though, its not worth it. Its expensive, your scattered for at least 2-3 days. You feel dirty when you start coming down and although you have had a good time you haven't actually really been there if that makes any sense. I dunno, i've got plenty of mates that get on it every 2nd week or every week and they have good jobs with big careers so i think some people can get away with it. If i did it like they do it, i'd be a wreck, i'd sit curled up in a corner rolling back and forth. I suppose its different for everyone, but they just aren't for me. I don't think i'll 'experiment' again.

Dec 7, 2000
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles
ur not saying that because ur star players have recently come off the hard stuff now are u?:p

I had the same view when Cousins was busted, and made my opinion known on another WCE forum (seems i was alone. Everyone just stuck up for the club like its sh*t didn't stink). I was especially disappointed when it was revealed the club was aware of Ben's problems for months, and only imposed a suspension on him when the story broke in the media. I thought it was p(ss weak of the club to not only sit quietly on the matter, but to allow Cousins to continue playing despite quite clearly breaking the AFL's drug code.

Oh geez, first you play the "it's my body I can do what I want to it" card, then the "blame the government" card. How much of this stuff have you actually taken because it has obviously messed with your head.

Just waiting for the "it's the parents' fault, they didn't educate their kids properly" card now. Anyone else with any further pearls of wisdom to share while we are embarking on this truly revolutionary thinking here?

I had the same view when Cousins was busted, and made my opinion known on another WCE forum (seems i was alone. Everyone just stuck up for the club like its sh*t didn't stink). I was especially disappointed when it was revealed the club was aware of Ben's problems for months, and only imposed a suspension on him when the story broke in the media. I thought it was p(ss weak of the club to not only sit quietly on the matter, but to allow Cousins to continue playing despite quite clearly breaking the AFL's drug code.
What are your thoughts on him being allowed to play now? IMO he should have been given suspensions similar to that of Wendell Sailor and Shane Warne. A 4 week holiday (errr 'rehab') in LA? Not nearly enough.

Dec 7, 2000
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles
What are your thoughts on him being allowed to play now? IMO he should have been given suspensions similar to that of Wendell Sailor and Shane Warne. A 4 week holiday (errr 'rehab') in LA? Not nearly enough.

AFL never busted him, so according to the rules he should be allowed to play.
AFL also has a 3 strikes policy in regards to recreational drugs, and as far as we're aware Ben Cousins isn't even on his first strike as he has never tested positive.

Ben had an addiction, people need to understand that. He wasn't a regular user by choice, but by addiction. My criticism was towards the WCE football club and how they handled the whole situation.

FWIW, i think Ben has paid his penance. Loss of earnings (salary cut), public humiliation, forever tainted reputation. For all his on field success and achievements, he will forever be remembered as the drug addict.

Emerald

All Australian
Aug 1, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
WCW

Disagree with this. Drugtakers are always hurting someone (ok, I'm talking about hard serious drugs not grass) and no they don't always mean to and no the hurt isn't always physical.
People don't consider how it will hurt their family. You're think it's ok for a young mum to take heroin just as long as her kids are safe at their grandma's?

ICanDressMyself

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 5, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, United, Redbacks
Not a fan.

I spend enough money on alcohol and smokes as it is! I do weed occassionaly but almost always just stick to the good old booze n smoko

peter1979

Club Legend
Suspended
Mar 1, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
at least ur a true and very decent and honest supporter.
then again look at the growing number of sandalous events caused by players from all clubs these days.
not just the eagles.

skilts

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Feb 14, 2002
South-West Gippsland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lexton, Northcote Park

Would it not be possible to mount an argument that the crimes you mention are associated with the illegality of those drugs, rather than the drugs themselves? If the drugs were legal and/or supplied and manufactured under government supervision, the need to do crime to feed the habit would diminish, if not vanish.

Has it escaped your attention that it's not just the underworld which is involved in drug distribution? Has the fact that the drug trade in most states, especially NSW and Victoria, has been run by elements of their police forces for the past thirty years, also gone under your radar? Do you think it a good thing that police are corrupted in this way, as a direct result of the illegallity of these substances?

From the passion with which you write about this topic, I'd venture that there is an other, underlying reason for your stance, which is unrelated to just taking a position on the issue. Either that or you've got a warped understanding of the real world.

You omit to tell us what you think the "big picture" is, as if it's a given that everyone will know what you mean by this. Explain to us how what other people ingest affects your life, assuming they don't commit those crimes you find so distasteful.

It is not immediately obvious what the purpose is of all those questions you ask in your second paragraph. Are you once again assuming that people will intuitively understand that which you choose to leave unsaid?

utility

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Similar to these:

Be informed, then choose.
-- Alexander Shulgin

Penalties against possession of a drug should not be more damaging to an individual than the use of the drug itself.
-- Jimmy Carter

Have you done drugs?

Practically everyone has done drugs! You have be a little more specific as to what you mean by drugs. Do you realise that scheduled drugs occur naturally in the human body?

If you are referring to alcohol, nicotine/tobacco, caffeine, chocolate, prescription drugs, over-the-counter pharmaceutical products, or illicit drugs then the answer is no.

As Shulgin says, be informed, then choose - erowid.org is a great resource for understanding the effects of many, many different drugs.

daddy_4_eyes said:

Current prohibition laws increase the profitability of drug manufacture and sale, for example (taken from Ott, Pharmacotheon):

The best-known of these black-market derivatives [derivatives of Fentanyl] is is alpha-methyl-Fentanyl, roughly 3000 times the potency of morphine (Seymour & Smith 1987). According to the DEA, starting materials and equipment to make a kilogram of this drug costs about $2000, the product being worth as much as a billion dollars ($1000 million)!

I have only just begun reading this book but Ott provides a rather thorough thesis of why prohibition does not work, from a health point of view (e.g., deaths of illegal drugs are often attributal to contaminents or not knowing what is actually being used), from a science point of view (e.g., prohibition laws that prevent scientific research), from a financial point of view (e.g., as described above, increased cost to users, the 'war on drug users' industry), and from a social point of view (e.g., due to expense addicts commit crimes to feed their addiction).

The fact that we allow addictive and damaging alcohol and nicotine products to essentially be freely available and prohibit other drugs (and in some cases non-addictive drugs) is tantamount to cultural discrimination... it's like saying 'our drug is ok but your drug is not'. If you do some research into the topic you'll find racism is one reason why particular drugs are prohibited today.

Criminality of drugs is the greatest problem, though there are major issues at a societal level that need to change... and ironically it may only be drugs that will change it. :)

Crissy_v

Club Legend
Dec 20, 2006
Noosa
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Ana Ivanovic
OKAY GUYS DONT ACTUALLY HAVE TO ANSWER MY Q'S THEY WERE JUST THER AS BUILDING BLOCKS FOR THE THREAD.

personally I have different views on different drugs.

Yes, like just about everyone hear I've done illegal drugs in the past.

For me I think the effects of Marijuana>>>>>>those of Alcohol.
I feel happier, have a greater appreciation for all good aspects of my life and just generally have a better time(plus no hangover), but that's just me, everybodies different.

Anywho there are so many drugs out there, some I would never dare try others I'm more open minded about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back