News DT Changes 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

But cash cows take 6 or 7 weeks to fatten up, by which time the people with s**t starting teams could've fixed their team up anyway.

This is now basically rendered useless with this new trade rule. How I see it is that cows need to be traded in and out of your team constantly (providing there is a suitable replacement) by using those two trades every week in order to maximise the inflow of cash. The first price rises are always the highest and if you wait that extra week, you will be ultimately leaking that extra cash possible. The game has now turned ruthless and to perform well you will have to be willing to sideways a well performing player simply because of the upcoming draw. Surely it seems like an easier game for everyone, but in fact, the game has gotten much much more harder to consistently be up top of the rankings simply because of the two trades you essentially NEED to make each week :cool: *no hate here* To be fair, I hate these rules.

I think now that with this trade rule, trades need to be going back to be non-reversible to account for the ridiculous amount we have. This would ultimately separate the experienced from the flog :thumbsu:

We might be rolling over the rookies a bit sooner in 2013... 3-4 price rises and then goneski...

Only works if plenty of rookies are coming through during the year. Trading out a Greene type rookie early for a rookie that is about to have his first price rise can backfire if the rookie you bring in only plays another 1 or 2 games.

Will be interesting to see which strategy ends up winning the car. Plenty of different ways to go about it.

Only works if plenty of rookies are coming through during the year. Trading out a Greene type rookie early for a rookie that is about to have his first price rise can backfire if the rookie you bring in only plays another 1 or 2 games.

Will be interesting to see which strategy ends up winning the car. Plenty of different ways to go about it.

Could also bring in some midpricers that are on a bit of a bubble... should be interesting...

This is now basically rendered useless with this new trade rule. How I see it is that cows need to be traded in and out of your team constantly (providing there is a suitable replacement) by using those two trades every week in order to maximise the inflow of cash. The first price rises are always the highest and if you wait that extra week, you will be ultimately leaking that extra cash possible. The game has now turned ruthless and to perform well you will have to be willing to sideways a well performing player simply because of the upcoming draw. Surely it seems like an easier game for everyone, but in fact, the game has gotten much much more harder to consistently be up top of the rankings simply because of the two trades you essentially NEED to make each week :cool: *no hate here* To be fair, I hate these rules.

I think now that with this trade rule, trades need to be going back to be non-reversible to account for the ridiculous amount we have. This would ultimately separate the experienced from the flog :thumbsu:

My thoughts exactly!

Cash generation has historically come from one source, maxxed out rookies. Now plenty of ways to generate money right through the year. Rookies maxxed out, rookies traded early for new rookies, mid pricers on a 3-4 week run, premium switching. To me 44 trades says creating cash will not be an issue. The only thing which has stopped greater cash generation in the past has been limited trades.

As I see it, the greatest challenge this year will be to generate points early get off to a flyer and to stay ahead of the pack. Will be really tough to make ground after half year. Fixture assessment will be vital. Looking at teams with a good draw early for 3-4 weeks rather than the whole year could be the way to go, then moving players on to the next player with a good draw.

Can see myself starting with a couple of Swans this year and holding them for 3-4 weeks

Good post dogs, certainly similar to my thinking at the moment, make points early. Your still not going to be able to upgrade/downgrade until the same time as past years, maybe a round or 2 early which i did last year anyway.

However people need to remember that plenty of players actually struggled to score against GWS last year certainly early on.

For me my initial side is going to be all about the first 5 rounds and focusing on which players will score the most in those first 5 rounds and not even worry about the whole year. Once it gets to rounds 5-9 than thats when some serious upgrading/downgrading will start.

Good post dogs, certainly similar to my thinking at the moment, make points early. Your still not going to be able to upgrade/downgrade until the same time as past years, maybe a round or 2 early which i did last year anyway.

However people need to remember that plenty of players actually struggled to score against GWS last year certainly early on.

For me my initial side is going to be all about the first 5 rounds and focusing on which players will score the most in those first 5 rounds and not even worry about the whole year. Once it gets to rounds 5-9 than thats when some serious upgrading/downgrading will start.

Yep, first 5 rounds vital.

For the serious DTr, it's also not just about which teams leak points, it's about which part of the ground they leak them in. Knowing that North leak massive points in the midfield or to power fwds, or Port to small fwds, or which teams lay off in defence and which use fwd taggers. The challenge will be to set up an initial 5 week plan, followed by a broader plan of how to move these players on, such as prepping up for the Hawks easy mid year draw, or the multi-bye rounds.

The game will still have plenty of challenges, just need to change mindset and strategy to stay competitive

Yep, first 5 rounds vital.

For the serious DTr, it's also not just about which teams leak points, it's about which part of the ground they leak them in. Knowing that North leak massive points in the midfield or to power fwds, or Port to small fwds, or which teams lay off in defence and which use fwd taggers. The challenge will be to set up an initial 5 week plan, followed by a broader plan of how to move these players on, such as prepping up for the Hawks easy mid year draw, or the multi-bye rounds.

The game will still have plenty of challenges, just need to change mindset and strategy to stay competitive

For me looking at it, it suits true football knowledge rather than fantasy knowledge ability which is something i like, hopefully it plays out like that.

There is still going to be the timing of trades upgrading/downgrading around the same period, knowing when to pull the gun will be very important. If someones got a 250 BE but are playing North and are a midfielder than maybe bit the bullet a round early and hopefully they produce a nice 130 score and their next BE is low, thats the only twinge i see with the new rules for that strategy.

You still need to get a team of 22 guns as early as possible to generate points from there if they get injured or you can make money and points via sideways trade than that will be the go.

To do well as Gopower mentioned it probably requires more research instead of coming onto BF and getting a BF side and trading BF style which produces pretty good results.

I dont mind the actual change i just feel it came way too early. I like to have a set of rules in dreamteam for probably 3 years minimum before its changed so significantly, it really doesnt give you a chance to evaluate your past season, see where you went wrong and change it for the next year because the next year is all so different those plans just get thrown out the window.

Its a game, theres always significant strategy required is the basic underlining.

But cash cows take 6 or 7 weeks to fatten up, by which time the people with s**t starting teams could've fixed their team up anyway.

Yes, but they have already missed out on 1, 2 or more scores from said gun cash cows.

I do not like the 2 trades per week that much, but I am sure over-trading will strike and people will be impatient. It will be a real balancing act points vs dollars each trade.

The rolling lock out was a good idea I think, and I would have preferred that innovation to the increased trades. Everyone has phones and however busy your social life you can always sneak off to do your thing, I know everyone in my family accepts weird DT related behaviour. In reality there is only so much you can do anyway.

I understand a few die-hards are not happy, and I am also not sure why the changes needed to be so radical, but as usual I will continue to commit to DT over SC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do not like the 2 trades per week that much, but I am sure over-trading will strike and people will be impatient. It will be a real balancing act points vs dollars each trade.

The rolling lock out was a good idea I think, and I would have preferred that innovation to the increased trades. Everyone has phones and however busy your social life you can always sneak off to do your thing, I know everyone in my family accepts weird DT related behaviour. In reality there is only so much you can do anyway.

I understand a few die-hards are not happy, and I am also not sure why the changes needed to be so radical, but as usual I will continue to commit to DT over SC.

Agree

Rolling lockout would have reduced the "luck" element of a late out or player being sub. I still think there's some element of skill in trying to work out who the sub will be before lockout, can normally narrow down to 2-3 players and teams are following a similar pattern now.

I am happy that the captain loophole is not available every week, 2 cracks each round at a skipper seems wrong.

Agree

Rolling lockout would have reduced the "luck" element of a late out or player being sub. I still think there's some element of skill in trying to work out who the sub will be before lockout, can normally narrow down to 2-3 players and teams are following a similar pattern now.

I am happy that the captain loophole is not available every week, 2 cracks each round at a skipper seems wrong.

So there is no rolling lockout is that correct? think i read that in the paragraph. Seems strange to get rid of that you could still use 2 trades and have 2 late outs and still cop zero's.

How are they stopping the captain loophole from memory there are quite a few thursday/wednesday games before the normal card kicks off on friday. Cant people still have someone as VC who play wednesday/thursday than a non starting captain and if the VC scores poorly or very well it determines whether you push that player to the bench or not?

Agree with the sub, usually its a bench selected player 90 mins out from bounce down and from previous weeks can have a pretty damn good idea of who it will be. Sometimes coaches dont bother changing the team sheets aswell they might have a player who was meant to start as FP but is the starting sub than next week they are named starting FP again.

So there is no rolling lockout is that correct? think i read that in the paragraph. Seems strange to get rid of that you could still use 2 trades and have 2 late outs and still cop zero's.

How are they stopping the captain loophole from memory there are quite a few thursday/wednesday games before the normal card kicks off on friday. Cant people still have someone as VC who play wednesday/thursday than a non starting captain and if the VC scores poorly or very well it determines whether you push that player to the bench or not?

Rolling lockout every game, every week in SC. Will be as per last year for DT with just a couple of rounds pre-Friday night games.

Captain loophole in SC will be massive, for anyone who's played Big Bash this year with lockout every game you basically get 2 cracks at captain every week. SC will be like that this year.

Rolling lockout every game, every week in SC. Will be as per last year for DT with just a couple of rounds pre-Friday night games.

Captain loophole in SC will be massive, for anyone who's played Big Bash this year with lockout every game you basically get 2 cracks at captain every week. SC will be like that this year.

Yep...but with a rolling lockout there is actually no need at all for a VC - I think in time that concept will be phased out.

Yep...but with a rolling lockout there is actually no need at all for a VC - I think in time that concept will be phased out.

It's good to hear from you Skank.

The lack of VC would certainly stop the abuse (or the need to abuse in order to keep up with the pack). It has always been such a lame loophole. The power gamer inside of me is somewhat excited about having 2 trades every week as I am licking my lips with the anticipation of creating the ultimate team. My happiness however will be short lived when I come up against a team each week after round 16 that looks eerily similar to mine.

Urrrgggghhh!!!

My happiness however will be short lived when I come up against a team each week after round 16 that looks eerily similar to mine.

Urrrgggghhh!!!
That's the sort of thing that will be frustrating I feel. Things like holding your trades and waiting for the right time to strike and having good bench depth become quite meaningless now.

It really is a new game with past 'skills' almost being void so I look forward to seeing how I hold up this season (hopefully well!).

A good bench will still be important in making money and also still having that extra cover (although that importance has certainly decreased with the trades). Your right though its a pretty new game now. Also good bench cover may mean that you can have an injury cover them and upgrade/downgrade to other rookies on bubble and underpriced premiums. So they still hold their place.

I think teams have been the "same" after round 16 for quite some time now, maybe its a thing that just isnt going to change. Be happy to have 4-6 players different at the end of the day its about 25% of your team, thats quite a bit.

Still not happy with the changes, but it does bring in some interesting decisions for coaches. Many coaches will try to put in too many players with good early draws, but won't be able to get them out when injuries/poor form strikes.

Firstly very glad DT did not go with a rolling lock out. It hurts some people due to life cirumstances such as work etc. I know for me living in Canada it would be a huge disadvantage.

Couple of initial toughts off my head.

For me more trades means it's a different game to previous. Some people are claiming everyone will have the same rooks to start, and others are claiming they will load with swans players. If you want to make 4 trades in the 1st two rounds to balance rooks, you can't trade out the swans. That might cause you to miss someone else with a great start to the season

1st price rises in rooks are key, I can see me trading in some rook on the bubble for 1 week to get his price rise then going to another. But if I'm making these trades I can't do the sideways trades for good runs. The things that's changed is it's no longer when to trade but it's now what trade to make, and there will be a heap of options every week. Trade someone is a capt option, someone has a good run/bad run, rooks about to pop, out of form mids to consider.

people think they wont be hurt by injuries like before. If you have a gun that throws out a 6 for the round then his price will drop. Lots of little drops like that will kill you when someone is making lots of small gains.

for those thinking initial selection doesn't count as much you're crazy. if you have the best rooks then you can look at sideways trading the guns the are performing and those that aren't. Results in an instant lead on the pack.

it becomes a real balance between scoring early, while still trying to get the cash up. a race to filling the team with guns.... then it's a challenge to keep ahead of the pack by picking the good runs for players while avoiding injury.

good captain selection/trading for will be key. But if you burn 1 trade every week for capt changes then you can't do much else. some people will trade for stanton on a run then he'll bomb out a 60 while someone trades a rookie for cash instead and with GAJ rocks in a 140 + cash made

as always with DT you need a heap of luck!

I'm interested and keen. It's not that far from the old game. At the end knowledge + luck is key. at the end I'm just looking forward to the banter that come with footy and playing in a league with mates....

GO DONS!

Not everyone has or wants internet on their phones.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back