Politics & Government Dual citizenship - should you have to declare it?

Remove this Banner Ad

I had the option of getting NZ citizenship due to my parents being from NZ but never bothered as there isn't much difference between having an Aussie or a Kiwi passport, although Aussies are probably seen as bigger targets for terrorists than Kiwis these days so having a Kiwi passport might come in handy if you're taken hostage.

Where did you hear that?

Happened to my Dad when flying through Hawaii. A few years earlier he entered on his UK passport but then left on his Australian. They pulled him up on it because it looked like he'd stayed in the US for a couple of years. Got taken to a little room and interrogated for a while.
Oh yeah, always important to leave on the passport you came in on.

Passports are complete BS - FFS we are all world citizens aren't we.

Should be no border control, no passports and 100% freedom of movement for everyone.

Next question.

Nice sentiment John Lennon but that would just end up with desirable places like Australia, US, UK and Europe being swamped with people from third world countries, not to mention terrorists hell-bent on wreaking havoc and destroying us western capitalist pigs.

Where did you hear that?

Have you heard of the Bali Bombings? It's no coincidence that the majority of people killed with those bombs were Australian and it happened around the same time Australia joined the US in fighting wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. Thanks to our involvement in those wars Australia and Australians are now seen by terrorists as a target along with the other major participants like the UK, hence the London bombings in 2005. Obviously America is still no.1 on their hitlist but we're probably no.2 or no.3 now, NZ probably isn't even on their radar.

Nice sentiment John Lennon but that would just end up with desirable places like Australia, US, UK and Europe being swamped with people from third world countries, not to mention terrorists hell-bent on wreaking havoc and destroying us western capitalist pigs.

Yup - I'm, sure millions of starving africans who can't even afford food will be qeuing for the first class ticket direct from Nairobi to Sydney.

Have you heard of the Bali Bombings? It's no coincidence that the majority of people killed with those bombs were Australian and it happened around the same time Australia joined the US in fighting wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. Thanks to our involvement in those wars Australia and Australians are now seen by terrorists as a target along with the other major participants like the UK, hence the London bombings in 2005. Obviously America is still no.1 on their hitlist but we're probably no.2 or no.3 now, NZ probably isn't even on their radar.

L O L

Hate to pop your patriotic bubble but Australia is a nothing on the world stage.

Yup - I'm, sure millions of starving africans who can't even afford food will be qeuing for the first class ticket direct from Nairobi to Sydney.

Plenty of dirt poor boat people still manage to make it here.

L O L

Hate to pop your patriotic bubble but Australia is a nothing on the world stage.

Apart from the US or UK which other Western country would be a bigger terrorist target than us?

We're still way behind the US as a terrorist target but we're one of their biggest allies which terrorists are aware of, as I said the Bali Bombings wasn't a coincidence and there have been other terrorist threats here in recent years that have been foiled by ASIO and the AFP.

Plenty of dirt poor boat people still manage to make it here.

Apart from the US or UK which other Western country would be a bigger terrorist target than us?

We're still way behind the US as a terrorist target but we're one of their biggest allies which terrorists are aware of, as I said the Bali Bombings wasn't a coincidence and there have been other terrorist threats here in recent years that have been foiled by ASIO and the AFP.

France and Germany

the Bali Bombings wasn't a coincidence and there have been other terrorist threats here in recent years that have been foiled by ASIO and the AFP.

It was more just unfortunate geography. A party island for Aussies in a highly populated Muslim country with a decent dose of instability. Australia would be a fair way down on the target list. Even developed Asian nations such as South Korea and Japan would be bigger targets.

Europe includes the UK.

Maybe politically it does but geographically the UK is separate to mainland Europe and they still use their own currency rather than Euros, most Poms consider themselves separate to Europe too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I never realized that these things weren't on record in the first place???

If you've got nothing to hide, there shouldn't be any problems declaring dual/multi citizenship.

Handy to know this though, my soon to arrive daughter will be a dual citizen.

You've been misled.

People pay thousands upon thousands of dollars to people smugglers to get on those boats to Australia.

These are not 'poor' people.

Thousands of dollars thats probably taken them about 10 years to save from hard labour, prostitution, selling organs etc. There wouldn't be too many rich boat people rolling in money, if they're prepared to risk their lives in some shitty boat then things can't be too great for them where they come from.

In Australia you are not allowed to take up a seat in parliament if you are a dual citizen, so those who hold another passport have to renounce it if they are elected or simply miss out on taking up their seat).
I never knew this. I have dual citizenship. If I cannot take office, then I don't see why I should have to vote either.

Passports are complete BS - FFS we are all world citizens aren't we.

Should be no border control, no passports and 100% freedom of movement for everyone.

Next question.
i would love for that. unfortunately the world has become so divided over the years it's really not possible. maybe in some utopian future but it would be many centuries away and unlikely to actually ever be conceivable.

but you are right, we are old citizens of the world. there is a great line in the muse song map of the problematique Why can't we see
That when we bleed we bleed the same
and although that song seems more of a personal song than a political song i always wish you could send that line to some of the ****ed up politicians and nutters in this world who just seem intent on bringing it down.

i always wish you could send that line to some of the ****** up politicians and nutters in this world who just seem intent on bringing it down.
The politicians are just puppets, my friend.

Interchangeable, replaceable, and controllable.

If you spend enough time reading and observing you will work out who the real cretins are.

And you'll also work out that they want you focusing your anger towards the politicians.

i would love for that. unfortunately the world has become so divided over the years it's really not possible. maybe in some utopian future but it would be many centuries away and unlikely to actually ever be conceivable.

Future.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back