* off Sportsbet

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually think gambling is a good thing. A percentage of the take from the TAB goes to the gov't, although i'm sure overseas betting companies never pay tax. The pokies of course generate tax. I'd like to see taxation use gambling more. It makes taxation voluntary which is surely a good thing.
Double or triple the Government taxes on gambling revenues (Like cigarettes).
Transfer more revenue from company to Government.
Resulting in a less attractive industry to invest or remain in.
Increase Government revenue.
Reduce other Government taxes…stamp duty, gift tax, inheritance etc

well i like your thinking but there isnt an inheritance tax and there probably should be one for super rich to pay back some of their lifetime scams.

of course, we both know that the success of such a scheme will depend on the elasticity of gambling - for the all the economics students out there. Increasing taxation thru gambling decreases payouts and this will decrease taxation as well....but fortunately a lot of people are hooked, much like the old smoker. I actually asked the woman down the IGA how much a pack of winfields cost and she said $60....cha-ching for gov't coffers.

+ legalize marijuana. At a time when we’re facing Government debt that’ll take decades to clear there’s a lot of levers that can pulled to increase revenue.

Nathan Brown did a 10 minute segment on Fox with stat breakdowns that was just a really long gambling ad.

Problem would be bigger overall losses for problem gamblers, as the increased taxes would come out of the payouts. Thus you'd be hitting the people who are already being hit.

I think Ed said that there's more gambled on 1 T20 match than the whole of the AFL season (because of overseas gambling, predominantly via India). Imagine if they get attracted to AFL.

Banning betting would go down as well as prohibition, not gonna work, the Adds don’t make any difference to problem gamblers IMO, if the government really wanted to help people they would ban pokies, anything that decides wether you’ve won or lost before placing a bet should be banned, overall they simply can’t lose.

Same as tote betting, only one side is gambling, the other is raking in cash no matter who wins, ditto for lotteries.
NO-one is advocating banning betting.
I am advocating banning betting ads on AFL broadcasts.
7 can have a 24/7 racing channel with wall to wall betting agency ads. I don't give a*.

I don't want to see them on AFL broadcasts and Gillon the fiuckwit should ******* know that.

* off Sportsbet.

* off hasbeen former US athletes telling Aussie kids to bet on their phones.

Bet all you like.

I don"t give a rats.

I bet.

I think Ed said that there's more gambled on 1 T20 match than the whole of the AFL season (because of overseas gambling, predominantly via India). Imagine if they get attracted to AFL.

Cricket is an international sport, AFL is domestic.

7 can have a 24/7 racing channel with wall to wall betting agency ads. I don't give afu**.

I don't want to see them on AFL broadcasts and Gillon the fiuckwit should ******* know that.

fu** off Sportsbet.

fu** off hasbeen former US athletes telling Aussie kids to bet on their phones.

Bet all you like.

I don"t give a rats.

I bet.

Should other industries that are even more harmful to kids be banned as well from advertising ?

7 can have a 24/7 racing channel with wall to wall betting agency ads. I don't give afu**.

fu** off Sportsbet.

fu** off hasbeen former US athletes telling Aussie kids to bet on their phones.

Bet all you like.

I don"t give a rats.

I bet.
I couldn’t give a flying * what you like, this is something you’ll understand.

Interesting that there’s some ex players promoting other gambling companies when they have had significant issues with the punt.

It really is just money for these people unfortunately, willing to sell themselves

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sick of has been US sport folk littering our screens with Sportsbet bullshit for few dollars.
I don't give sh*t what you used to do go and fu** up your own society.
Arrogant asreholes.
They can take Nathan ******* Brown with them.

For the most part I agree with what you’re saying, but by the same token “Not happy, Jan!” became part of the popular vernacular, and I never once thought of advertising in the Yellow Pages.

Banning betting would go down as well as prohibition, not gonna work, the Adds don’t make any difference to problem gamblers IMO, if the government really wanted to help people they would ban pokies, anything that decides wether you’ve won or lost before placing a bet should be banned, overall they simply can’t lose.

Same as tote betting, only one side is gambling, the other is raking in cash no matter who wins, ditto for lotteries.
Then by your own admission, gambling should be banned. The odds with bookmakers are always against the punter. A punter will get lucky sometimes, but the more times a punter bets, the more likely they are to lose. Over time, all punters lose. Basic stats. I don't think I need to go into detail here.

And it's nonsense to suggest that adds do not influence gambling addicts as well. Those addicted to gambling are real people with real lives. Plenty try to quit throughout their addiction, and marketers know this and play on it, and find ways to keep them hooked (not that difficult since it is so addictive to some). Advertisements also glorifies the habit and introduces it to kids and normalises gambling as mentioned by some previous posters.
Gambling is here to stay, but I would prefer it to be less prominent with broadcasters in all sports.

The AFL commission encourages AFL footy clubs to get rid of their pokies, but that's pretty much where their influence ends. Its ok for the AFL to have Sportsbet as their major sponsor. The AFL is hypocritical and cares less about the community that the profits it can rake in from gambling sponsorships. This is not for the good of the game, but for the good of those running the AFL.

Gambling's fun, I drop $50 at Melbourne Cup like every other idiot, and I get a Tatts now and then if its more than 20 mill, its fun in a stupid way.

When the gambling really gets into a sport the sport is ruined. Boxing and racing are two sports where the gambling has turned them into a joke pretty much.

Racing was always dodgy, horses being nobbled, horses being juiced up one way or another, and if you cheat to win its easier to cheat to lose if you get a payoff.

Boxing likewise had a criminal connection because of the violence, boxers make great stand over men, some guys had criminal connections etc. so the crooked connection was there.

There's still plenty of money in both sports but the grass roots on racing is withering and so is boxing: the peak of the sport is pretty ugly and needs full bown Hollywood razzamatazz to get people to watch so I'd guess both are on a downward spiral. The criminal gambling fixers are looking for popular sports to ruin for profit.

Gambling is blitzing Aussie rules right now and has been for the last decade. The more money is on a game the more likely it is to be tampered with, fixed, rigged, players got at etc etc. The more ways there are to bet the more angles will be got at. "We're not asking you to throw the game, just make sure player X kicks the first goal" and remember our beloved idiotic Heater accidentally robbing the bookies in the 2010 GF replay? A lot of players are too dumb or too naive to not muck up.

Demetriou has turned out to be the shonky **** we all thought he was and it looks like the league has become a bit more dodgy recently, so it'll be hard to root out the gambling corruption if/when it really takes hold. Not saying the league was clean before him, there have been better and worse periods (eg Kenneth Luke was dodgy as hell fixing the zones for Carlton) but the Essendon drug saga happened under Demetriou, and Gillon "tidied it up", as in made sure no serious questions got asked about the Geelong connection. I have no confidence they can keep the sport clean.

The more ways there are to bet the more angles will be got at. "We're not asking you to throw the game, just make sure player X kicks the first goal" and remember our beloved idiotic Heater accidentally robbing the bookies in the 2010 GF replay? A lot of players are too dumb or too naive to not muck up.
You mean on Goldsack FGS?

Gambling's fun, I drop $50 at Melbourne Cup like every other idiot, and I get a Tatts now and then if its more than 20 mill, its fun in a stupid way.

When the gambling really gets into a sport the sport is ruined. Boxing and racing are two sports where the gambling has turned them into a joke pretty much.

Racing was always dodgy, horses being nobbled, horses being juiced up one way or another, and if you cheat to win its easier to cheat to lose if you get a payoff.

Boxing likewise had a criminal connection because of the violence, boxers make great stand over men, some guys had criminal connections etc. so the crooked connection was there.

There's still plenty of money in both sports but the grass roots on racing is withering and so is boxing: the peak of the sport is pretty ugly and needs full bown Hollywood razzamatazz to get people to watch so I'd guess both are on a downward spiral. The criminal gambling fixers are looking for popular sports to ruin for profit.

Gambling is blitzing Aussie rules right now and has been for the last decade. The more money is on a game the more likely it is to be tampered with, fixed, rigged, players got at etc etc. The more ways there are to bet the more angles will be got at. "We're not asking you to throw the game, just make sure player X kicks the first goal" and remember our beloved idiotic Heater accidentally robbing the bookies in the 2010 GF replay? A lot of players are too dumb or too naive to not muck up.

Demetriou has turned out to be the shonky **** we all thought he was and it looks like the league has become a bit more dodgy recently, so it'll be hard to root out the gambling corruption if/when it really takes hold. Not saying the league was clean before him, there have been better and worse periods (eg Kenneth Luke was dodgy as hell fixing the zones for Carlton) but the Essendon drug saga happened under Demetriou, and Gillon "tidied it up", as in made sure no serious questions got asked about the Geelong connection. I have no confidence they can keep the sport clean.

There are some Big Bash games that have more money wagered on them than the entire AFL season. Criminals can't bet huge money on AFL because it stands out too much and attracts too much attention. Also AFL is extremely complicated, trying to reliably orchestrate a certain player to kick the first goal for example is near to impossible.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back