Ducking Crucified!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently Inside Footy has published some stats showing that WA umps pay considerably more frees to WC than umps from elsewhere.
I wish I had access to those individual ump stats. Can't say that I'm surprised, although I would be surprised if this trend had been going on for more than a year or two.

I wish I had access to those individual ump stats. Can't say that I'm surprised, although I would be surprised if this trend had been going on for more than a year or two.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility that WA umps get called up for the dud games, which would usually involve dud opposition, so WC genuinely earn more frees...or some such...

I wouldn't rule out the possibility that WA umps get called up for the dud games, which would usually involve dud opposition, so WC genuinely earn more frees...or some such...
The article says that the best umpires get chosen for the games that will have the most interest. In the recent WCE v Carl game, all 3 umps were local. Giesh says that they rate the WA umps highly and have no issue leaving them in Perth to umpire games at Subi.

The article says that the best umpires get chosen for the games that will have the most interest. In the recent WCE v Carl game, all 3 umps were local. Giesh says that they rate the WA umps highly and have no issue leaving them in Perth to umpire games at Subi.

Would be interesting to see if there is any correlation between which state umps are from and whether they show any bias on a more generalised scale.

Interesting.

Would be interesting to see if there is any correlation between which state umps are from and whether they show any bias on a more generalised scale.

Apparently that's part of the article. IIRC (based off a few tweets) there's a little "bias" in SA but bugger all in Vic. POBT?

Apparently that's part of the article. IIRC (based off a few tweets) there's a little "bias" in SA but bugger all in Vic. POBT?

Fair summary. I think it is just 2012 figures though so not real sure how much you'd learn from that.

No analysis of the Gabba, fwiw.

http://www.understandfooty.com/ seems to be a website run by Mick Ellis, writer with Inside Footy. Some interesting stuff there about homeground advantage.

Apparently Inside Footy has published some stats showing that WA umps pay considerably more frees to WC than umps from elsewhere.

tweet I retweeted highlighted one ump in particular (Dalgleish). Interestingly enough, he gets the WC game this weekend as well.

Fair summary. I think it is just 2012 figures though so not real sure how much you'd learn from that.

No analysis of the Gabba, fwiw.

http://www.understandfooty.com/ seems to be a website run by Mick Ellis, writer with Inside Footy. Some interesting stuff there about homeground advantage.

A lot of it seems very very liberally lifted/paraphrased from http://www.amazon.com/Scorecasting-Hidden-Influences-Behind-Sports/dp/0307591794 with just a slight AFL-slant put on it.

Edit: And reading his stuff on loss aversion it sounds like he misunderstood the concept. It's around losing stuff you either already have (if someone gives you $100 and then taking it back, it's more likely to draw a reaction when you ask for it back than saying you'll give them $100 and then reneging later) or think you already had, i.e. when you look like losing a game you had previously considered won due to the large lead you held previously.

He's writing it up as "people who don't like losing" which is a very different concept.

After a few weeks in a row of coping crap from the umpires - even despite winning two of those games, this time we seemed to finally get on the right side of the decisions. While there were poor decisions made both ways (as usual), we seemed to be getting more than our fair share in the first half when it counted.

However, I will hazard a guess that normal service will resume down in Sydney next week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back