Review Dudley's mid-season review

Remove this Banner Ad

Well yours is a opinion piece as well...

Your opinion and that authors lack substance and more so stating the obvious (nothing wrong with this). Since you have the time I would be genuinely interested in reading a review on the game plan which isn't as easy to evaluate. Ofc the big issue with this request is that you need to be attending games to see off the ball action of players and what is happening qt to qt.

So if anyone can add their view on this side of things, I would appreciate it.
Ok but where should I send the invoice to?

Shane Yarran is not even on the list.......

How about a review on the game plan, now that is something that would be worthwhile reading.

I get sick of this game plan crap. When we won 6/7 the game plan was the same as it is now. The players carried it out properly and we won games. Unfortunately with so many new players rotating through and our better players becoming fatigued we stopped carrying out our game plan.

Talent is the problem....most teams have a similar game plan.

I get sick of this game plan crap. When we won 6/7 the game plan was the same as it is now. The players carried it out properly and we won games. Unfortunately with so many new players rotating through and our better players becoming fatigued we stopped carrying out our game plan.

Talent is the problem....most teams have a similar game plan.

Why are our better players so fatigued?

Fight back win , not having consistent quarter, depend too much on individual brilliant, playing players not 95 % fit . Team can carry sore players but when the numbers increase to 4-5 players, 5% increased to 20 -25% drop of performance for the team.

I would say that its from having to cover the more inexperienced players. At the end of the games that we have won, Fyfe and co look like they have just played a massive Final. Look at the way Fyfe and Neal were at the end of the Melb Game. While there are other problems, it certainly goes a long way to explain how the midfield has fallen off a cliff in the last month or so. Our best players play in the middle and are having to do everything, which while they could, covered up deficiencies.

I would say that its from having to cover the more inexperienced players. At the end of the games that we have won, Fyfe and co look like they have just played a massive Final. Look at the way Fyfe and Neal were at the end of the Melb Game. While there are other problems, it certainly goes a long way to explain how the midfield has fallen off a cliff in the last month or so. Our best players play in the middle and are having to do everything, which while they could, covered up deficiencies.
yep. It's all very well to play the kids but others have to pay for it

The yoof (Balic, Grey, Logue, Cox, Tucker etc.) are only playing 60 - 75% of a game.

The experienced hands are filling the void.

Add the high intensity, last kick wins and the 3 games in the rain. It's fairly easy to see how our players are tired.

The yoof (Balic, Grey, Logue, Cox, Tucker etc.) are only playing 60 - 75% of a game.

Add the high intensity, last kick wins and the 3 games in the rain. It's fairly easy to see how our players are tired.
Throw in restricted preseasons to most our midfield and/or returning from long stints out, it's no surprise.

But better player management should prevent this. We seem totally adverse to resting players when they need it. Even Langdon was made to play with a sore knee, and now he's out for 3-4 weeks. Our player management could be better.

Why then Melbourne going Tru different path after freo win against them where they win two match without wielderman, jaden hunt (only Vs Adelaide), spencer ,max gawn , Jesse .

Can we post what our expectations are for the second half of the season in this thread or should we create a new thread for that?

Can we post what our expectations are for the second half of the season in this thread or should we create a new thread for that?
I think it'll be largely covered in The Melt thread :'( haha

Probably best to start a new one. Make a sub-thread for the Game Plan too to appease Banker and others

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some very good answers to the question. I think its been a combination of things which some have been pointed out but I'll add that in a few of our home games its been quite hot and plus the travel. There's a few sides rebuilding and playing youth but they don't have the travel, regular games in heat or having to play catch up footy to get back in games.

Some very good answers to the question. I think its been a combination of things which some have been pointed out but I'll add that in a few of our home games its been quite hot and plus the travel. There's a few sides rebuilding and playing youth but they don't have the travel, regular games in heat or having to play catch up footy to get back in games.
Hard to argue , but agree that team like Melbourne and essendon travel less than freo. The only team that are having more travel will be GC and GWS.

Ross the boss could shoulder some of the load, still have the same guys in the middle since 2013. Only
Blakey has cemented a midfield role.
No Sandi, no idea, we need to rotate different skills, speed, etc, into our midfield.
Same forward and back, we are half way through the season, still playing with the deckchairs, find them their
position and back them in.
Drop x player, for Sherro, Sutcliffe, D Pearce. Revolving doors.
Bringing injured players straight back, Shill, Langdon.
Stop with the zone bullshit, how many times do we get cut to pieces by skilled teams?
Tackles?

Ross the boss could shoulder some of the load, still have the same guys in the middle since 2013. Only
No Sandi, no idea, we need to rotate different skills, speed, etc, into our midfield.
Same forward and back, we are half way through the season, still playing with the deckchairs, find them their
Stop with the zone bullshit, how many times do we get cut to pieces by skilled teams?
Tackles?

Bennell and Yarran should be providing variety and forward pressure.

Alas...

Tackles?

Yeah, agree. It doesn't help that we've been terribly outcoached early in 7 of our last 8 games meaning we're having to work extra hard to get back into the games.

Hard to argue , but agree that team like Melbourne and essendon travel less than freo. The only team that are having more travel will be GC and GWS.
??? - why would GWS and GC have more travel than Freo & WC?

Western Sydney to Melbourne ~= 872km
Gold Coast to Melbourne ~= 1345km
Perth to Melbourne ~= 2721km

??? - why would GWS and GC have more travel than Freo & WC?

Western Sydney to Melbourne ~= 872km
Gold Coast to Melbourne ~= 1345km
Perth to Melbourne ~= 2721km
Gold coast to China?
Freo Vs north
WC Vs freo
Freo Vs essendon
Freo No need to travel isn't it .

This is why I was hesitant on playing 3-4 1st year players at the same time. This is also another reason why I think Sean Darcy will get a debut game lter in the season. Darcy has been good in the WAFL but his body wont last 3 quarters in an AFL game.

Look at our 2014 draftees in Langdon, Weller and Blakely. All 3 got a debut game in 2015. In 2016, weller played all 22 games, Blakely and Langdon played 10-15 games each. All 3 are now in our best 22 when fully fit.

GWS played like 10-15 rookies in their 1st year in 2012. They took beatings in 2012-2014. Now they look good. But considering most of their players are in that 23-25 year old age group, they will get a finals run for a few years then drop off.

If there was one close game that stood out for me was the North game in round 5. we Kicked 2.7.19 at half time when we should of kicked 4 or 5 goals. We then won 9.13.67 to Norths 9.8.62. Freo should of kicked 12 or 13 goals and won easily that night.

But better player management should prevent this. We seem totally adverse to resting players when they need it.

While I agree that we might not be getting it 100% - player management must be difficult to get the balance right.

Take Fyfe for example - He's obviously not right - but is playing him to regain form better than resting him, when there's a bye coming up? What is the best in the long term?

Maybe we got it wrong - we probably did with Ed Langdon, but it was worth the risk.

Gold coast to China?
Freo Vs north
WC Vs freo
Freo Vs essendon
Freo No need to travel isn't it .
Wot?

Round 12: Perth - Brisbane: 3,609 km
Round 14: Perth - Geelong : 2,796 km

This doesn't include the trips to Darwin and Tasmania that are normally thrown our way. It's a modern miracle Pav got to 353 games based out of Perth.

Wot?

Round 12: Perth - Brisbane: 3,609 km
Round 14: Perth - Geelong : 2,796 km

This doesn't include the trips to Darwin and Tasmania that are normally thrown our way. It's a modern miracle Pav got to 353 games based out of Perth.
Do you suggest freo to walk out of the competition? The competition is make up of more Melbourne club than WA .My suggestions is WC and freo walk out (as a protest) to create their own competition .Why participate a competition that you are not happy about so many things .

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back