Due to Popular Demand: 2013 Giro Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Would I be incorrect in saying that in the past 5-6 years the Giro has been the most interesting Grand tour?

2010 Giro is the best race that I have seen. 2012's Vuelta was great, as was 2011's Tour. They all have great years and poor ones, but personally the Giro is my favourite.

Anyway, reckon tonight will be a bit of a squib. I am interested to see how Sky play it with Henao and Uran, and am also keen to see Scarpone. He is looming as a massive dark horse for Nibali and Cadel.

Last year Vuelta was something special. The Giro every year has been fantastic. Last year Tour was the worst GT that i remember.
My bet is on Nibali on this one.

Nah Nibali lifted the pace and Wiggo cracked, cadel briefly lost touch but got back on. Was a cracking stage!

Awesome stage.

The two category 1 climbs certainly who showed us who can and cant win the Giro.

My observations and comments resulting from last night:

1. Hesjedal is done. He couldn’t match it on the first climb and despite efforts by his team to get him back on to the pink jersey group in the valley leading to the last climb they couldn’t due to the pace being set by Astana and then Sky.
2. Uran is a beast. He TT’s well and the way he climbed was a joy to watch. Made it look easy. A future star.
3. Wiggins looks in strife now. With some more steep climbing to come, one may think that Sky will shift its leadership to Uran. This would be a disaster for wiggins. I never thought he was the type of rider to win the Giro.
4. Cadel looks great. As good as I have seen in a long time. Stuck with Nibali the whole way. He never has any help from his team. There was no one from BMC helping at the base of the final climb. This will hurt, but if he can stay out of trouble and simply suck nibalis wheel for the next week or so and take a chance on one of the big mountain top finishes he is a big, big chance.
5. Colombian cycling is strong.... wonder why with climbs like this in Colombia... http://app.strava.com/activities/alto-de-letras-7533544?utm_campaign=ride_share&utm_content=8118&utm_medium=widget&utm_source=theclimbingcyclist.com
6. Cant wait for Sunday and finish on the Galibier (although I read its still covered in snow at the moment).

profile-15.jpg

'The climbers will likely show up for this one', this gon' be good.

Bit of trouble with Nibali with a dropped chain going up the first big climb. He's alright though.

Hesjedal struggling up the first climb, in real trouble. Not looking great and doesn't get back for the second climb.

11.7km left, onto the steep section. Peloton is still quite large at this point.

Uran goes for glory with 7.6km left, big move from Sky. Has 40 seconds on the main group with 4.3km left, 50 seconds at 4.1km.

lol some spectator stacks it over the edge of the road :D

Henao is gone. Betancur is gone. Attacks coming now with 3.3km left now, Wiggins battling! Boy it is steep here. Scarponi back with Wiggins. Evans is looking good, Nibali unflustered. Betancur back. Scarponi dropped from Wiggins, who's chasing the lead group. 2km left, let's see if Wiggins can get back, he's alone.

Wiggins 23 seconds down from Maglia Rosa group, Maglia Rosa group 19 seconds down from Uran. Evans setting the pace now! Betancur makes a go for it, Uran hits the final kilometre mark.

Nibali makes a break heading into the final kilometre, Evans after him. Uran has this though, great ride, took his opportunity and wins it. Second is Betancur, Nibali sprints for the line and gets 3rd.

Wiggins gets a further 40 seconds taken from him by Evans/Nibali.

Great stage.

and
'The climbers will likely show up for this one', this gon' be good.

Bit of trouble with Nibali with a dropped chain going up the first big climb. He's alright though.

Hesjedal struggling up the first climb, in real trouble. Not looking great and doesn't get back for the second climb.

11.7km left, onto the steep section. Peloton is still quite large at this point.

Uran goes for glory with 7.6km left, big move from Sky. Has 40 seconds on the main group with 4.3km left, 50 seconds at 4.1km.

lol some spectator stacks it over the edge of the road :D

Henao is gone. Betancur is gone. Attacks coming now with 3.3km left now, Wiggins battling! Boy it is steep here. Scarponi back with Wiggins. Evans is looking good, Nibali unflustered. Betancur back. Scarponi dropped from Wiggins, who's chasing the lead group. 2km left, let's see if Wiggins can get back, he's alone.

Wiggins 23 seconds down from Maglia Rosa group, Maglia Rosa group 19 seconds down from Uran. Evans setting the pace now! Betancur makes a go for it, Uran hits the final kilometre mark.

Nibali makes a break heading into the final kilometre, Evans after him. Uran has this though, great ride, took his opportunity and wins it. Second is Betancur, Nibali sprints for the line and gets 3rd.

Wiggins gets a further 40 seconds taken from him by Evans/Nibali.

Great stage.
Like you mentioned above, that fan falling over the side of the hill was hilarious. Sean Kelly on Eurosport was unflustered !! i reckon that would have been a decent fall....

and

Like you mentioned above, that fan falling over the side of the hill was hilarious. Sean Kelly on Eurosport was unflustered !! i reckon that would have been a decent fall....
That fan falling over made my night.

This race is setup perfect for Cadel, he has others doing the attacking & doesn't have to defend & the leaders team is poo so it will be left to nibali to chase everything down.

Similar setup to 2011 TDF only Nibali can TT, still have to wonder how many sky attacks he can handle.

That fan falling over made my night.

This race is setup perfect for Cadel, he has others doing the attacking & doesn't have to defend & the leaders team is poo so it will be left to nibali to chase everything down.

Similar setup to 2011 TDF only Nibali can TT, still have to wonder how many sky attacks he can handle.
Not really... Agnoli, Tiralongo, Kessiakoff and Kangert are all decent climbers. Compare that to BMC who have...... yeah, no one. Cummings is supposedly a future star, but it ain't the future yet. Santaromita and Morabito have been with BMC for a while now and have never really cut the mustard as gun domestiques IMO.

I agree that the race looks good for Cadel, but to say that Nibali has a bad team is off the mark.

As for last night's stage, it certainly proved the point that we wont know who will win, but we will certainly know who wont win. Hesjedal is gone. In fact, looking at the standing snow, I see it as a 4 way battle between Evans, Wiggins, Nibali and Uran. I'd be surprised if one of these 4 didn't win from here. Outsiders for me are Scarponi and Inxausti.

Time for Sky to cut Wiggo loose and back Uran, lest they cost themselves another GT like they did at the 2011 Vuelta.

Bentacur and Pozzovivo are a fun double act who should cause some chaos.

Samu should have lost enough time now to be given some freedom to go stage hunting.

Tonight's short downhill finish could suit him, Cadel and Nibali, but surely it is the breakaway's day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cycling news blackout was successful, just finshed watching the stage, well worth it.

couldn't get over how steep some of the final climb was.

my to resolve to go and cycle some of these mountains in Italy is growing.

amazing roads, amazing scenery

Not really... Agnoli, Tiralongo, Kessiakoff and Kangert are all decent climbers. Compare that to BMC who have...... yeah, no one. Cummings is supposedly a future star, but it ain't the future yet. Santaromita and Morabito have been with BMC for a while now and have never really cut the mustard as gun domestiques IMO.

I agree that the race looks good for Cadel, but to say that Nibali has a bad team is off the mark.

As for last night's stage, it certainly proved the point that we wont know who will win, but we will certainly know who wont win. Hesjedal is gone. In fact, looking at the standing snow, I see it as a 4 way battle between Evans, Wiggins, Nibali and Uran. I'd be surprised if one of these 4 didn't win from here. Outsiders for me are Scarponi and Inxausti.

Cadel's team doesn't matter, he doesn't have the jersey to defend if he did then he would be in massive trouble. His ideal scenario is to sit in 2nd place, close the gap if he can by taking a few seconds here and there and then try and take the jersey in the TT to leave his team 2 stages work.

Having good climbers doesn't mean much when the whips are cracking, the only decent helpers are top 20 in GC and Astana has one of them. Sky put the hammer down and they were left with 1 guy to pace Nibali for a few K's before he dropped off, they are not going to save Nibali any energy at all when it really counts.

Very wet and dark day. Breakaway was never going to get away today, never more than 3 minutes up.

Wiggins away from the peloton with 20km left, not sure what the deal is there. His team is with him trying to get him back. Oh wow, he's over a minute down. What is going on here with Wiggins? Seems to have lost his team now, wow. Now 2 minutes down with 14.4km left, he's going to lose time here.

5km to go, breakaway is at 20 seconds. Wiggins 2 minutes 50 down. Wow. Game changer.

Breakaway gets caught finally with 500m left. They left it very late! This is surely Cavendish's stage, he's in a good spot. Gets his easiest win of the race, by a bike length or two.

Wiggins is 3.30 down, insane.

Wiggins gone, excellent result!

Solid win to Cavendish though, held his spot all day and always looked like winning it.

Its amazing how everyone (not saying everyone here) likes to jump on the champion, but you see all over twitter and in the media.

Wiggo is a legend, and is clearly hampered at the moment. I say kudos to himm for fighting it out.
He is an A grade twat. Hence the immense joy at seeing him out of contention

Remove this Banner Ad

Back