Due to Popular Demand: 2013 Giro Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't need to bother watching the last few stages now, sigh..

The sport is still a long way away from being clean.
Correct. But you can't throw that out there as if Cadel is clean and Nibali isn't. Highly likely neither are clean, or at the very least haven't been at some stage in their career. From my perspective this Giro has been Le Tour de Flu, and perhaps Cadel's performance today suggests he isn't well. Nibali has been the best rider throughout the Giro and deserves to win.

Correct. But you can't throw that out there as if Cadel is clean and Nibali isn't. Highly likely neither are clean, or at the very least haven't been at some stage in their career. From my perspective this Giro has been Le Tour de Flu, and perhaps Cadel's performance today suggests he isn't well. Nibali has been the best rider throughout the Giro and deserves to win.
Cadel has never been mentioned when people suggest someone is doping, he has never had that explosive untouchable look to him. Its no coincidence that the year after Contador got caught doping was the year Cadel Evans finally won the TDF, it was the slowest raced tour in years because everyone was too scared to get caught.

He may still dope like the rest of them but if anyone is clean its cadel, born with a broken nose that restricted his breathing from birth & put into a coma at age 8 the man is far from your average bloke.

Had to laugh at the commentators last night, raving about how quickly Cadel was riding, when he was in reality having a shocker. I woke up to it as soon as they cut to the shot of him after Uran went through the time check point, it took them another 3-4 min to realise what was happening.

Here is/was my line of thinking:
Uran went through the time point 48sec down on Sanchez. If Cadel was having a decent ride, then he should have been matching Sanchez' time at the very least, so he should have been roughly 2 min behind Uran at that point. Just before the time point was a false flat & downhill section, which took the riders about a minute to cover. If Cadel was on track, then he should have been hitting that section about a minute after Uran passed the timing point. With Uran's time having been noted, the cameras cut to Nibali, then to Cadel, spending about a minute on each rider - Cadel still hadn't hit the false flat / downhill by the time the camera cut away from him. I knew then that he was well behind schedule. The commentators didn't click until he hit the time point.

Help him enormously. Not so much to hold off Uran, but more Scarponi who seems to love the cold. I would usually back Evans in terrible conditions, but it is clear that he is not well and is battling to save time rather than attack others. To still be 2nd in the Giro while being some way from the peak of his powers is an incredible achievement.

It is disappointing not to see the Stelvio and the Gavia, but riders health and safety must come first. Bravo to organisers for doing this. Barring a catastrophe, Nibali cannot lose from here.

Cadel has never been mentioned when people suggest someone is doping, he has never had that explosive untouchable look to him. Its no coincidence that the year after Contador got caught doping was the year Cadel Evans finally won the TDF, it was the slowest raced tour in years because everyone was too scared to get caught.

He may still dope like the rest of them but if anyone is clean its cadel, born with a broken nose that restricted his breathing from birth & put into a coma at age 8 the man is far from your average bloke.
Not doubting that. I'll argue with anyone that '11 TdF was our country's greatest sporting moment. I guess (and I'd had a few beers) that I saw your post as similar to those made last year when Wiggo dominated the TdF. I just find Nibali a lot more likable than Wiggo, and don't mind seeing Cadel (who is surely winding down somewhat in terms of being a GC contender) come second (touch wood) to him. I worry a bit the Cadel/Tejay may be alongside Froome/Wiggins as the talking points of the tour this year.

This race has unfortunately petered out after such a promising first week.A mixture of the weather and big names not being on form has hurt the Giro this year. Doesn't take anything away from Nibali's win though, he proved last night he is the best cyclist in the race. Cadel should hopefully do enough to bag a podium, meaning he gets a podium for each GT, which is a superb achievement.

today's stage........cancelled!
Looking at some of those shots from the mountain tops, it's understandable. Snowing under 700m in some places. The Italian summer snow season puts out winter snow season to shame!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely hellish conditions last night. What a brutal Giro it has been. Nibali sent the tifosi to their delirious best with a legendary day in pink. If they didn't love him already, he sealed it with that ride. He also confirmed why so many of us already love his attacking style. It has been a dream 2013 for him in Italy, with the triple crown of Tirreno-Adriatico, Giro del Trentino and the Giro di Italia.

Bentacur sealed the white jersey with a great ride following some mechanical issues. In many ways he has been the breakout rider of this race.

Cadel fought hard but didn't quite have it today. He surrendered his second place to Uran, but held on to the podium. He has now podiumed every GT, and is one of Australia's greatest athletes of all time.

While it has been one of the weakest GC fields for a few years, with Nibali one of the few main names at his best, and the final week was ruined by weather and the high attrition rate, it has still been a good watch. Especially the unpredictable opening week.

It was great to watch but the way Nibali kept distancing everyone on that climb so easily unfortunately has me doubting he is clean...

On his website Cadel said he had a technical problem in the final km's last night. May have cost him 2nd. At one stage it looked like he was getting back up to Uran then next time they showed him he was well behind and getting overtaken by others (including Scarponi). At least he's managed to hold onto the podium.

Lance Armstrong had cancer. He's far from average as well.

its a sad day for the sport when any rider who has a good stage is immediately branded a cheat, and any rider behind him must be clean....

Well Cavendish wraps up another superb tour with another stage win.

Overall that was a entertaining Giro, especially that first week. Weather and sickness soured some stages, but overall we still had some great racing and epic finishes.

Nibali the deserving winner, was simply unbeatable in the mountains.

That mountaintop finish in the snow would have to be one of the most insane finishes to a stage I have ever seen (what I could see of it anyway) :eek: :eek: .

Nibali thoroughly deserved his win. Glad Cadel hung on for third. Looked to be in pretty good form for a lot of it.

Insane riding last night from Cavendish! Course last night was way too technical, had potential for diasaster.

For me this years Giro was abit disappointing, bad weather coupled with poor organisation and a lack of quality riders meant it was slightly underwhelming. Congrats to Nibali on the win, but Cavendish was the star again for me.

Good too see Cadel get some form back. Unexpected podium good for him, and good to get some days into his legs before the tour. Well deserved by Nibali - no pesky Sagan to worry about! Gee Cav is a beast, other riders can only beat him if they're having a great day and Cav is off ... now to see the critical warmups before the Tour...

Shame the Stelvio/Gavia stage had to be cancelled, but there was no way they would've been able to safely descend in those conditions. I've been up and down the Stelvio pass in late June and there is plenty of snow up there at that time of year with Summer skiing the norm on those slopes. I'm sure many remember De Gendt winning the stage there last year climbing up from the Bormio side amongst the whiteness in the background. Coming down the Eastern ramp on the other side with those 48 switchbacks and in the conditions they were to face would've been sheer lunacy.

At least they went ahead with Tre Cime Lavaredo, albeit modified. That was another potentially great day of climbs with the Tre Cime itself and Giau, along with the Karerpass and the other Cat 2 mtns.

Allora, i Dolomiti. Grandi ricordi!

Despite the issues, Nibali is a deserving champion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back