Strategy Duggan and Yeo - midfield or defence in 2018

Where do you think they should play?

• Total voters

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeo has all the physical tools needed to play as an elite mid, but his game sense and awareness seem to be off every time he is put onto the ball. Given he was playing superb footy and made all australian this year playing half back, it might be better to leave him where he is

Apr 8, 2016
Vietnam
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
Duggan should be given more midfield time to see if he can make it his own. He is still young and I think he will end up being a good midfielder once he bulks up and with a few more games. Yeo's best position seems to be as a HBF. As much as I would love him in the midfield, I simply think he plays his best footy with the game in front of him. So Yeo as a HBF with time in the midfield but if one day it all clicks for him as a mid, then sure, move him there permanently (but I am not convinced it will).

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I chose Yeo mostly back line, Duggan mostly midfield. They can pinch hit each others position if required. Moving Yeo to the midfield after an AA year in the back line is like moving Gov forward just to see if he can do it.

I'd also advocate for Duggan on the wing. Decent tank, good overhead, can still win his own footy and uses it well when given the time.

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeo 70% backline with some time in the middle.

Duggan 70% midfield and 30% down back.

Yeo is an AA defender so i think we let him play his natural game. He is versatile enough for him to say spend a bit of time forward/mid if we need to change it up during a game.

Duggan showed in 2015 he is capable of playing in the guts so i think he should spend 2018 with the influence of Mitchell & Van Berlo to see if he can get a good crack at it. He showed in 2017 he showed he has mongrel and would get into other players faces or wasn't scared of going for the hardball.

Apr 8, 2016
Vietnam
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
When it's the derby, play Duggo on Fyfe so he can make him his little bitch again.
prison break sm.gif

dinnaz

Club Legend
Dec 26, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Duggan for DT . Should play in the guts all year unless he really struggles. Covered around 16 km in the Port Final which was top 5 on field so fitness wont be an issue. Looks bulked up already
Give Yeo a free pass to do what he wants. Starts at half back tho.

BeornJ

Premiership Player
Sep 17, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeo mostly defence (unless he crushes it early in the midfield)

Duggan 50 50. Has the ability to become inside outside in time

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
I feel like we can't give up on Yeo as a mid. And next year is the perfect time to give him a real shot there. So I think mostly midfield, some defence.

I think for Duggan he really grew as a player in 2017 off half back. I think it will be good to give him the year there so he has continuity and can grow on confidence. Then move him to the midfield in 2019 onwards. So I think mostly defence, some midfield.

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
Duggan strength confuses me to be honest. There's moments he floors/ nails much larger opponents and then there's moments where he struggles to break out of tackles and we all go he needs to get stronger. Im not saying this because i sponsor him but i legit am a massive fan of him. One of his early traits was his ability for him to wriggle under heavy packs to dig the ball out but just just lacked the strength to get it off to a player.

Im more bullish about Duggan as a mid than Yeo. This is purely because Duggan was drafted as player with high footy iq and i think us playing him purely as HHF with minute minutes on ball has ruined his confidence. His contested work is actually pretty good and like i said above, its his size and strength thats got in his way of show casing that side of his game. Hopefully mitch works with him closely this season and he has a big year in the gym. He could really be dangerous in the guts for us with his pure gut running capabilities as well.

Back