Strategy Duggan and Yeo - midfield or defence in 2018

Where do you think they should play?

• Total voters

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Didn't Yeo play midfield early in his career? Simmo has mentioned him playing more midfield in 2018. Yeo has said he'd like to play mid.
It's a solid unit with Shuey, Yeo and Ahchee ( plus the rest). But watching Yeo intercept mark and run off HB is a beautiful thang!
Duggan could be outstanding this season.. be curious to see him working the wing. (Jetts might have to do the oranges)

Aug 1, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I think with the exit of pritchell we will be forced to play both of them in the midfield at times. What we really lack is A grade quality in the midfield. With his size and pace and relative experience I'm hoping Yeo can be that guy to help out shuey because their ain't a lot else. Because of that I want him to play about 60% midfield depending on the opposition. Duggan maybe increase to about 40% if he performs.

Too early to call really.

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
Yeo has to stay at half back. Is such a weapon.

Dug can have extended periods in the middle but mostly plays at half back.

Aug 1, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeo has to stay at half back. Is such a weapon.

Dug can have extended periods in the middle but mostly plays at half back.
Will Duggan really improve our midfield though? He's not overly large or strong, or quick and is still adjusting to the pace of AFL level. Don't see how he would offer much more than Redden/Sheed/Ah Chee other than being an extra rotation. I feel like this is why we need Yeo.

Last edited:

dajesmac

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Manchester
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Demons, Liverpool
Duggan strength confuses me to be honest. There's moments he floors/ nails much larger opponents and then there's moments where he struggles to break out of tackles and we all go he needs to get stronger.

Are you thinking of the Fyfe bump as an example? He just used his body really well there. He definitely lacks strength, even for his size.

Lyyynnnchy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
London, UK
AFL Club
West Coast
One had an all australian year in defence the other a personal best season so far, they should stay where they were, where they worked.
Ablett had a, at the time, career best year playing forward
Pav had an AA year playing back
Cousins had a, at the time, career best year playing forward

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
Yeo showed his brilliance behind the ball in 2017 yet I am hoping there is a role in midfield that he can do to make us better.

What about on a wing as a more outside midfielder? I can picture the inside mids looking to pass off by hand to a running Yeo or NicNat looking o place it further from stoppage and allow Yeo to run onto it. I think Yeo we need to play to Yeo's strengths and build clearance options for him and not try to shoe-horn him into replacing Priddis.

The more damaging we have Yeo, the more options Shuey will have and hence he will be more damaging.

Desert Rat

Eating dust and whoops
Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Is it just me or do others see a bit of Guy McKenna in Duggan at half back ?
As we know players like that don't come around to often. Tough, level head and good disposal.
Yeo needs to run off the back of the square. Serious weapon if he can continue his form.

Are you thinking of the Fyfe bump as an example? He just used his body really well there. He definitely lacks strength, even for his size.

I am not entirely sure it is just a strength issue. Looks like Duggo plays old school in terms of not letting the ball spill out into an unknown situation and looks to force the stoppage when he is tackled. It has been a very effective way of playing football for generations. Unfortunately at AFL level the umpires are currently addicted to paying HtB in the interest of promoting "a free flowing game".

I am really hoping Mitchell can have an impact on our mids in terms of gaming the system better with the ball dropping shaking loose in the tackle and little toepokes to advantage that teams like Sydney, Hawthorn and the Bullies seemingly mastered seasons ago. It's been a super effective way of generating some clean ball on the outside as players collapse into the anticipate stoppage.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I am not entirely sure it is just a strength issue. Looks like Duggo plays old school in terms of not letting the ball spill out into an unknown situation and looks to force the stoppage when he is tackled. It has been a very effective way of playing football for generations. Unfortunately at AFL level the umpires are currently addicted to paying HtB in the interest of promoting "a free flowing game".

I am really hoping Mitchell can have an impact on our mids in terms of gaming the system better with the ball dropping shaking loose in the tackle and little toepokes to advantage that teams like Sydney, Hawthorn and the Bullies seemingly mastered seasons ago. It's been a super effective way of generating some clean ball on the outside as players collapse into the anticipate stoppage.
Pretty good observation

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeo showed his brilliance behind the ball in 2017 yet I am hoping there is a role in midfield that he can do to make us better.

What about on a wing as a more outside midfielder? I can picture the inside mids looking to pass off by hand to a running Yeo or NicNat looking o place it further from stoppage and allow Yeo to run onto it. I think Yeo we need to play to Yeo's strengths and build clearance options for him and not try to shoe-horn him into replacing Priddis.

The more damaging we have Yeo, the more options Shuey will have and hence he will be more damaging.

Not convinced a wing will harness his assets. In the midfield he can use his big frame to burst from a stoppage and then down back has his intercepting skills.

WCEbrody

Premiership Player
May 17, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea,Chicago Bulls
Would love to see Yeo play a full season in the midfield, with a couple of really good pre-seasons under his belt now.

Naitanui ~ Shuey ~ Yeo ~ Sheed is very exciting midfield.

Would love to see Yeo play a full season in the midfield, with a couple of really good pre-seasons under his belt now.

Naitanui ~ Shuey ~ Yeo ~ Sheed is very exciting midfield.

The N(i)SSY midfield. Should get strong support from upper management.

eaglesfan84

Premium Platinum
Oct 6, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

He could play that outside role at stoppages from the HBF, off the back of the square running through, or the back of a stoppage running through.

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
Nope. Seen him tackle and bump some much bigger opponents in the last few years.

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
Not convinced a wing will harness his assets. In the midfield he can use his big frame to burst from a stoppage and then down back has his intercepting skills.
I watched him a lot last year in stoppages and it is not his strength in close. Yeo is not great at reading the ball from the ruck and at first ball get, he is OK without being great. Where he excels is when he gets the next hand pass. Then he has slightly more room to move in and then turn on the burst speed and evade. In other words, a Redden at first ball get, some blockage by Ah Chee and options to Shuey closer and Yeo running past would be brilliant.

As much as we want someone to be the bull inside, that is not Elliott.

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
As much as we want someone to be the bull inside, that is not Elliott.

elliot.jpg

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
Yeo is not a midfielder.

Get it through your heads.
Mainly agree - many on the board are having trouble with that.

The role of rebounding HBF and defensive outside wing are pretty similar so I can see him excelling at both.

Last edited:
Mainly agree - many on the are having trouble with that.

The role of rebounding HBF and defensive outside wing are pretty similar so I can see him excelling at both.

He's a gun HB who can break lines, drift forward when required and basically beat 90% of opponents in the air or on the ground. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to possess that ability to go find his own footy in the middle, but its no knock on him, he's one of if not the best HBF in the league.

Back