Duke Balls to be used in Australia in 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Just think, the solution to our swing problems has been available at K-Mart all this time....

629ebc1cd430c1393e9140c9c7e6cb16.jpg

:p:p

Mick Lewis is liking this by the minute lol!

Yes, although I haven't for a year and a bit due to a back injury.

I'm all for trialing different balls. We need to get the ball moving a bit, now will the duke do it possibly, possibly not. At least it will allow our bowlers to bowl with the ball before the Ashes.

Then let them go to England for some Sunday games if they can't get CC games. Siddle went to England for a bit, so you know even if there are restrictions, why not try?

Then let them go to England for some Sunday games if they can't get CC games. Siddle went to England for a bit, so you know even if there are restrictions, why not try?

Happy to do that as well, I'm happy to give the Duke balls a chance.

It's the techniques that need fixing, not the balls.

But techniques are honed according to the conditions. Consistent exposure to balls that swing and bowler-friendly pitches will improve techniques over time.

Having said that I'm not certain Duke balls swing anymore than Kookaburras? Pitches are the big issue. And overhead conditions, but we can't do anything about that.

But techniques are honed according to the conditions. Consistent exposure to balls that swing and bowler-friendly pitches will improve techniques over time.

Having said that I'm not certain Duke balls swing anymore than Kookaburras? Pitches are the big issue. And overhead conditions, but we can't do anything about that.
I tend to think techniques are largely set in place by the time you are 14/15 once you get past that age it's very difficult to make big changes without taking yourself out of the game for a big period to change the muscle memory - there's a fair bit of evidence to say that I'm right. English conditions are very, very different - the pitches are made of a different clay, they tend to have a bit more grass on them, the outfields are generally lusher and the overhead conditions can be damp more often than not and yes ball is considerably different.

If you want to get used to playing in English conditions - you go and play in England - you don't change one aspect and hope for the best.

If you want your batsman to have better technique - do something about the way they learn the game. If you have kids or intend to and you like cricket & if they do - do this - teach them how to grip the bat properly (like picking up an axe), teach them to face up side on & with their back lift going to first slip. If you do that they'll have a chance of making it. If they can smash it while swinging across the line - baseball is your game.

Would have thought doing it in the early rounds (october) with cooler weather would make more sense.

I think both techniques, and balls/pitches play a factor. I will be interested in how the balls go in somewhere like Tasmania in particular.

The current Shield rules hopefully will start encouraging more result wickets. Also with injuries to fast bowlers being such a major issue states are starting to see the benefit of getting a result on Day 3. Or Day 2 even...

If we leave more grass on the wickets then changing to a Duke ball may offer more seam movement. If we prepare flat, dry wickets the change of ball is irrelevant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a fan.

England have had the Duke balls for years, and we've had the Kookas for years. If the Duke is better, that means England would have been better.
They haven't.

In 1990, the ECB were concerned that the ball was leading to poor technique amongst bowlers and batsmen, meaning their test team was pretty woeful.
They reduced the seam on the Duke ball from 15 strands to 9, and the height of the seam from 0.9 mm to 0.7mm. Scoring went through the roof, Graham Gooch set recordf for most runs in a test, and England didn't win back the Ashes for another 15 years.

Most of the cricket world uses the Kookaburra ball. Are we so fixated on The Ashes that one poor session against a swinging ball means we make such a knee-jerk change? It would appear so.

The current Shield rules hopefully will start encouraging more result wickets. Also with injuries to fast bowlers being such a major issue states are starting to see the benefit of getting a result on Day 3. Or Day 2 even...

If we leave more grass on the wickets then changing to a Duke ball may offer more seam movement. If we prepare flat, dry wickets the change of ball is irrelevant.
Cricket Australia told the curators to produce batter friendly decks in shield cricket.

Maybe they can rename the WACA to Lords and see if that helps?

Would have thought the Dukes in Australian conditions would mm do nothing to prepare you for Dukws in English conditions.
Oh come on Captain Obvious...that would be way too...how do I say this...logical

Not a fan.

England have had the Duke balls for years, and we've had the Kookas for years. If the Duke is better, that means England would have been better.
They haven't.

In 1990, the ECB were concerned that the ball was leading to poor technique amongst bowlers and batsmen, meaning their test team was pretty woeful.
They reduced the seam on the Duke ball from 15 strands to 9, and the height of the seam from 0.9 mm to 0.7mm. Scoring went through the roof, Graham Gooch set recordf for most runs in a test, and England didn't win back the Ashes for another 15 years.

Most of the cricket world uses the Kookaburra ball. Are we so fixated on The Ashes that one poor session against a swinging ball means we make such a knee-jerk change? It would appear so.

:drunk:

It's not about a parochial debate what ball is better. The intent is to prepare for the conditions that the Ashes will be played in - not saying it is a great idea as I don't believe it will be too effective since using the Duke on Australian pitches won't be a guide to mastering it in England, but no stone unturned and all that.

:drunk:

It's not about a parochial debate what ball is better. The intent is to prepare for the conditions that the Ashes will be played in - not saying it is a great idea as I don't believe it will be too effective since using the Duke on Australian pitches won't be a guide to mastering it in England, but no stone unturned and all that.

Personally I think it's an 'easy' short cut solution because they want to avoid addressing the real elephant in the room.

Without putting more life into the pitches this isn't going to be useful in any way - and if we put more life into the pitches then there is no point changing balls

I tend to think techniques are largely set in place by the time you are 14/15 once you get past that age it's very difficult to make big changes without taking yourself out of the game for a big period to change the muscle memory - there's a fair bit of evidence to say that I'm right. English conditions are very, very different - the pitches are made of a different clay, they tend to have a bit more grass on them, the outfields are generally lusher and the overhead conditions can be damp more often than not and yes ball is considerably different.

If you want to get used to playing in English conditions - you go and play in England - you don't change one aspect and hope for the best.

If you want your batsman to have better technique - do something about the way they learn the game. If you have kids or intend to and you like cricket & if they do - do this - teach them how to grip the bat properly (like picking up an axe), teach them to face up side on & with their back lift going to first slip. If you do that they'll have a chance of making it. If they can smash it while swinging across the line - baseball is your game.
I agree with your sentiment . But in 15 years I think my kids will have a better chance of making a living from the game swinging it like a baseball bat than pointing the bat at 1st slip.

This is why Test Cricket doesn't have a long term future. The only thing that keeps it relevant is one series between only two teams. We've won enough to just get on top of the test rankings but because we don't currently hold the ashes we're going to act like it's the end of the world and start ******* around with our first class domestic comp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back