Roast The $$Dump$$ Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Imagine giving up 6000 first round draft picks for a "superstar" (it's hyperbole gaiz, don't @ me).... who then goes on to poll a whopping 3 Brownlow medal votes in 2022. Career low, in case yall are wondering :thumbsupv1:

Always feels like Kelly is only going backwards at West Coast. The meme that keeps on giving for opposition supporters. I get we only won a cutla games and our team is absolute trash in every essence, but gee whiz, even crap teams can still have players that poll votes. Especially with the lack of talent around him. Is he supposed to be good or not? Seems there's always one excuse or another for him. Getting tagged and wilting completely probably does him zero favors. 16, 18, 19 disposal games, and last but not least..... the 4 disposal effort after being shut down completely by rookie nobody Windhager.

I don't think Kelly is actually even close to the top 20 mids of the competition. Saying "Oh but he's our best mid" is a total cop out, considering Jamie Mcnamara could probably be our best mid at this point (providing he knows what end we're kicking at). If thicc boy Jye Bolton dropped the FIGJAM and left Claremont for West Coast in 2023 for one year, i think even he'd be close to being our best mid.

I appreciate the fact we took a punt and what we were "trying" to do, but it seems we reaaaaallly cocked up evaluating our list and flag window. If we managed to get him after the flag in 18 (Cheers Wells you POS) we might have been able to make that last flag push in 19, but after being held to his contract and the trade going through a year late, we've been nowhere near it unfortunately :toilet:

Seems people like to cite what players those draft picks turned into like it's some sort of a defense for what we paid, yet that argument is bollocks IMO. Nobody can say who we'd have drafted, nor who else we could've targeted with those potential picks. Potentially Warner, potentially Robertson, who even knows. Daresay our list profile would look a lot better if we'd have just hit the draft.

We've played 1 final since Kelly joined the team, and we got punted out by the less fancied Collingwood at our own home ground (ironically the final of Kelly's 12 disposals from that game riled a few fans when he fed the ball to Tom Cole in traffic to get his kick smothered). Wonder if Benny Cousins ever racked up a measly 12 touches in a final. Or Kerr. Cats obviously used those picks for Cameron in the end, and here we are. Offloaded an evidently replaceable 4th string mid, cashed in and bought a KPF. 102 goals in less than 2 seasons playing second fiddle to Tommakent.

Such is Fyfe.

I've sorted your new avatar for whilst we're in our down swing:

IMG-20220521-WA0005.jpg

All this talk on Tim Kelly always gets me worked up. I do think we completed the trade far too quickly wrapping it up on day one and if we had played hard ball we may have been able to keep one of the second rounders but when people say we were massively screwed for Tim Kelly i think they forget some of the trades that came before it.

Can you honestly say in the grand scheme of things our trade was worse than the trades for Dylan Shiel, Adam Treloar & Dayne Beams?

Dayne was good at Brisbane but they paid a heavy price for that but i don't think Dylan Shiel or Adam Treloar are better than Tim Kelly and they gave up picks lower than ours in the first. I've adjusted all picks to where they fell in the draft, not what they originally were.

ADAM TRELOAR TRADE
Giants Receive
2016 Pick 8
2015 Pick 9
2015 Pick 63

Collingwood Receive
2015 Pick 31
Adam Treloar

DYLAN SHIEL TRADE
Giants Receive
2018 Pick 11
2019 Pick 14

Essendon Receive
Dylan Shiel
2019 Pick 42

TIM KELLY TRADE
Geelong Receive
2019 Pick 16
2020 Pick 18
2019 Pick 27
2019 Pick 38

West Coast Receive
Tim Kelly
2019 Pick 52
2019 Pick 58

DAYNE BEAMS TRADE
Brisbane Receive
2014 Pick 5
2014 Pick 25
Jack Crisp

Lions Receive
Dayne Beams
2014 Pick 65

DAYNE BEAMS TRADE PART 2
Collingwood
2019 Pick 18
2018 Pick 21
2018 Pick 55

Brisbane
Dayne Beams
2018 Pick 50
2018 Pick 55

Personally looking at the above i don't think our trade was the worst. Not even the second worst.

There can be more than one incompetent trade.

They all look pretty bad to me. Beams by the length of the Flemington.

I agree to some extent but my i suppose my point is that was the going rate at the time (two firsts) and many clubs gave up significant firsts where we did not. When people bang on about ours being the worst trade ever i think they are being somewhat dramatic.

Comparing Des Headland to Tim Kelly is stretching it a bit as well.
Kelly isn't at his Geelong levels, bit his stats are still miles ahead of Headland at Fremantle.

Comparing Des Headland to Tim Kelly is stretching it a bit as well.
Kelly isn't at his Geelong levels, bit his stats are still miles ahead of Headland at Fremantle.

He's been played differently for us than he was at Geelong, he rotated on the HFF a fair bit for them hence all the goals.

It's a shame that Shuey & Yeo have been injured for so much of his time with us. He was expected to be something he wasn't but due to necessity his role with us changed and he is sadly compared to his time at Geelong. I think we would have been speaking different of Tim if he had the back up he should have had and he did have at Geelong.

He's still been our best midfielder for the last 3 years regardless with all the extra burden placed upon him and the constant tagging.

Wasn't ours the worst going by points value only?

I remember that thread. That was the time Dylan82 announced he's got some juicy news, then disappeared for 2 days and came back after the trade had happened.
Correct. I think you could say Treloar was valued at around pick 3 going on points but i'd be feeling sick if i gave up two top ten picks for him. Points as we all know don't reflect the true value of draft position.

I've posted this before, but the kelly trade in hindsight isn't actually that bad. Fact is these late teen picks and picks in 20 are not really anything special and far from a sure thing. Exactly why our list is in the state it is in; lack of access to top talent.

Have a look at who went at the picks we parted with and it's dud central. And yeah before someone points out the ome or two guns who went 10 picks later, unlikely we take the one or two gems .. that's fantasy think.

I have no doubt cats would much rather still have tk around then what they got.

Given the lack of talent in the 25 to 29 bracket, having tk is important for the next few years.

I was as mad as the next guy when the trade happend, it's undeniable we have been too kind at the trade table in the past. But hindsight shows the trade hasn't been the disaster some make it out to be.

How much longer can Kelly be debated?
Well, it is a slow time for us, no finals, no new guns coming in, no sackings, no new CEO, no new Coach, No Masten to whip anymore, no priddiss to whip anymore.
You know, whats a supporter to do....Kick an ex Geelong gun who is struggling a little....sounds like fun, no?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Slip Kelly back into this current Geelong team and he would look like a super star. I’m happy we got him and hoping we can at least get a fit and firing list… even if it has the old firm of shuey, sheed and Yeo

Well, it is a slow time for us, no finals, no new guns coming in, no sackings, no new CEO, no new Coach, No Masten to whip anymore, no priddiss to whip anymore.
You know, whats a supporter to do....Kick an ex Geelong gun who is struggling a little....sounds like fun, no?

It's like arguing with your partner about a topic you already argued about 2 years ago.

At some point people need to move on.

Also it's been 3 years, so still a few years for it all to play out.

Different time & age of players I know, but how were we feeling at the end of 2010 after 3 years post-Judd trade?

Cheeky

Best I can do is send it here
Captain America Avengers GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back