Movie Dune

Remove this Banner Ad

I couldn't find any 4K versions, I don't think you'll see these on the high seas until after HBO Max starts streaming it. You can get HD versions now.

There are plenty of 4K versions available on the high seas. I decided to sail. I couldn't hang on another 5 weeks but might rewatch at iMax if travel between regional and metro Victoria opens up.

I liked it but I didn't love it. It looks and sounds great. Very cool set design and spaceships. Of course, it's an epic story. But the plot just didn't grab me and there wasn't much for the actors to get their teeth into. Some of the dialog was whispered or lost behind the soundtrack. It's quite long but they only gave glimpses of the political issues. And it was only part 1.

Then there was

Hand held combat in an age where they have technology so they can rapidly travel across the universe?
Bagpipes? No.
Mechanical grasshoppers/dragonflies? That have a rocket option?

There are plenty of 4K versions available on the high seas. I decided to sail. I couldn't hang on another 5 weeks but might rewatch at iMax if travel between regional and metro Victoria opens up.

I liked it but I didn't love it. It looks and sounds great. Very cool set design and spaceships. Of course, it's an epic story. But the plot just didn't grab me and there wasn't much for the actors to get their teeth into. Some of the dialog was whispered or lost behind the soundtrack. It's quite long but they only gave glimpses of the political issues. And it was only part 1.

Then there was

Hand held combat in an age where they have technology so they can rapidly travel across the universe?
Bagpipes? No.

There are clear in world reasons for this things.

Swords - shields can block fast projectiles, but not slow penetration.

Bagpipes - they’re humans, traditional call back to their origins.

Ornithopters - don’t remember this one :p

I saw it is cinemas in Europe, it’s ******* brilliant.

Then there was

Bagpipes? No.
Spoiler reasons were covered both in the films and in the books , swords are used due to shields exploding with the use of guns , bagpipes just showing the call back to traditions and thopter being used due to rockets alerting the sandworms and having space to transport people and equipment.

The trailers and posters are hiding the fact that the new Dune film is actually titled “Dune - Part One”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not really a sequel, it's part 2 of the same story, and this whole "will they, won't they" crap the studio had been peddling was always utter nonsense to begin with. They would've known they had a hit on their hands to begin with, especially after screening it to focus groups for comments and thoughts. The whole thing was nothing but a cynical publicity stunt, IMO.

It's not really a sequel, it's part 2 of the same story, and this whole "will they, won't they" crap the studio had been peddling was always utter nonsense to begin with. They would've known they had a hit on their hands to begin with, especially after screening it to focus groups for comments and thoughts. The whole thing was nothing but a cynical publicity stunt, IMO.
You get what I mean

Possiblly but it would have been cheaper for them to film it all in go now they have set up production again which will cost more. I think the bigger factor was Villeneuves box office history in particular Blade Runner 2049 which wasnt profitable theatrically. Then you have the sale of warner bros by AT&T, which while announced after production began management would have already known about and Dune was a very expensive movie to make so I can imagine there was extra caution around spending so big in those circumstances. Having said all that I always felt part 2 would be made also but can I understand why they did what they did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

800 pages…..if you’re struggling with that …that’s mind blowing

hope they don’t study or have to read or research for their jobs …wow

Reading for a job is different to reading for leisure. I use to be able to read for leisure but when work demands reading more technical and legal documentation then reading for leisure is all but gone.

Watched it again. Still a great movie. I did pick up that they only talk about stillsuits as catching sweat, but in the Books, they also collect urine and feces, and the moisture we breathe out. No water is wasted in Fremen culture.

Last edited:
Spoiler reasons were covered both in the films and in the books , swords are used due to shields exploding with the use of guns , bagpipes just showing the call back to traditions and thopter being used due to rockets alerting the sandworms and having space to transport people and equipment.

What is covered in the books is irrelevant. The movies need to be self-explanatory.

If you shoot someone with a gun then their shield explodes? How is that a good defence mechanism?

Considering we are 20,000 years in the future and can easily move around the galaxy maybe some better crafts than flying grasshoppers have been invented that might fly above the sandworm's range?

What is covered in the books is irrelevant. The movies need to be self-explanatory.

If you shoot someone with a gun then their shield explodes? How is that a good defence mechanism?

Considering we are 20,000 years in the future and can easily move around the galaxy maybe some better crafts than flying grasshoppers have been invented that might fly above the sandworm's range?

They clearly demonstrated that only slow moving projectiles could penetrate the shields?

On the Atreidis world, they have traditional aircraft, which were shown, so it stands to reason that the Ornithopters were on Arrakis for a reason.

Take it up with the dead writer

it was shown in the film that shooting at the shields can take out both the shooter and the target hence why they were all running around removing the guns from the area …. Why do you think there was sword fighting training to show the vulnerablities of the shield and to not rely on it in a fight.

If a sand worm can detect a human walking in the desert miles and miles away from them , then logically they’ll be able to detect loud aircrafts like jet planes. Hence why they used the thorpter.

it’s not my fault you have the concentration span of a gnat

Last edited:
They clearly demonstrated that only slow moving projectiles could penetrate the shields?

On the Atreidis world, they have traditional aircraft, which were shown, so it stands to reason that the Ornithopters were on Arrakis for a reason.
And those traditional aircraft could be stored underwater

it’s stand to show that the aircraft are made to fit the world’s environment

May contain minor spoilers.

Starting with the positives.

Cool setting and visuals.

Now on to the rest.

Bland characters especially the leads. Only Momoa and Brolin's character had any personality but even then were pretty one note.
Speaking of Brolin's character did I miss something? Where was he for the second half of the movie? Did he die and I missed it, I'm pretty sure he was alive last I saw. Ugh.

Ending was just like an episode in a Netflix series. It literally just ends without any major resolution and feels like it is going to lead directly into the next episode. This is not a good thing for a blockbuster movie.

All we really get is backstory on the planet and the resource they're there to farm. Like why are there some people that have Jedi mind trick powers and how did this come to be and what else can they do? Why are they important enough to be talking with leaders from the main factions? Why can the main bad dude fly or at least levitate and what is his motivation beyond controlling the spice resource? What is the story with the houses and how many more are out there? What is the imperium and how did it come to be? Why should we care about the main characters, I don't recall being given a reason other than they good other faction bad. I'm sure the books to a better job explaining context but the movie did a poor job. The movie expects us to accept a lot of stuff without explaining it or giving us a reason to care.

I think the point I'm ultimately trying to make is that they did a very poor job of building the universe and I was cheering for the sandworms. Backstory and context is important.

Also I think considering this is taking place in the year 10000+ that technology could have been more evolved, hand to hand combat just seems silly. I mean at one point they were using some laser tool that phased through a solid locked door, why not weaponize that instead of sending soliders out to die in hand to hand combat using knives? Also surely they would have been able to develop technology to destroy the sandworms or at least keep them away from the harvesters.

Seriously with the sandworms why not just use a thumper thing to attract it and then bombard it from the air until it is dead?!? Why risk resources and lives... Lure it into the middle of nowhere and drop a bomb down the mother*er's throat or something. Its not like it has shown the ability to defend itself or fight back against something like that.

I was disappointed. Given the scope I think this IP would have worked better as a series rather than movies.

5/10

The backstory as to why humans are the way they are in 10191 is given no explanation and if you haven't read the book then it would confuse you watching this movie. If you don't want to read the book, David Lynch's Dune from 1984 does tackle this issue. You can watch it on YouTube for free. It does present the backstory as to why humanity is like it is in this fictional universe. Things like why the technology is what it is, for example, you'll learn just watching the first 15 minutes of Dune 1984.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back