Movie Dune

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been saying it for the past few years, the guy makes flawless films.

I knew Star Wars was in trouble when they announced JJ Abrams as the director of the first film, just as much as I knew Dune would be amazing when they announced DV as the director.
Many of you may not be familiar with the classic game Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, but...

Can we have DV do a KotOR trilogy? Don't care if the first doesn't release until 2029, one film every three years. It would be spectacular.

Just do a couple Mando movies before then and scrap the rest of the planned films.

Is it the same story as what's being told with the current Dune movies?
Yes, and no.

The Dune saga consists of several books - initially written by Frank Herbert, with later books written by his son. They tell a single story, across multiple books, and multiple generations.

The current movie series has told the story from the Dune book, with Dune 3 expected to tell the story of the Dune Messiah book. It is not expected to continue any further into the book series, beyond Dune Messiah.

The Children of Dune series told the story of the Dune Messiah book, followed by the Children of Dune book.

The old and new series will overlap on Dune Messiah, but otherwise are telling different parts of the Dune saga story.

Last edited:
Is it the same story as what's being told with the current Dune movies?
The movie, Dune Part 1 and 2 is focused on the first book, Dune with Paul Attredis as the main character.

Scifi channel also did a adaptation of the first book in a 3 part miniseries. Then followed by another 3 part miniseries series called Children of Dune with part 1 based on the Dune Messiah book.

Dune Messiah is a very short book in comparison to the other Dune releases and covers the aftermath of the Fremen Jihad. I suspect Denis's Part 3 adaptation will depict the action sequence of the Jihad to pad the run time of the movie similar to his Part 1 and 2.

The 3 remaining Dune books Frank has written, God Emporer of Dune, Chapterhouse Dune and Heretics of Dune are not likely to be adapted to a movie.

On another note, Denis is also working on a TV production based on the Bene Gesserit Sisterhood which encompasses all Dune materials released by Frank Herbert and son Brian Herbert.

Went to the Palace Nova Eastend Cinema (formerly IMAX) for my second viewing and wow, what a huge difference the movie felt on the large screen and huge sound system.

I highly recommended it to my fellow South Aussies who are looking for the IMAX experience even though we don't have an official IMAX Cinema operating in SA.

Great turn out too considering it's location and other major events going on nearby with the Fringe Festival making access and car parking very difficult.

Saw it today and really enjoyed it. There's more going on with the story than the first one. The action scenes are epic, combined with a huge soundtrack. The visuals are fantastic. It really feels like we are in that world rather than on a movie set.

On the negative side, the ending felt rushed although the movie felt too long. They could have cut out the Feyd-Rautha character and scenes completely without losing too much. The CGI for the crowds in the arena fight scenes were poor. I love Christoper Walken but thought he was miscast in this.

7/10

Yes, and no.

The Dune saga consists of several books - initially written by Frank Herbert, with later books written by his son. They tell a single story, across multiple books, and multiple generations.

The current movie series has told the story from the Dune book, with Dune 3 expected to tell the story of the Dune Messiah book. It is not expected to continue any further into the book series, beyond Dune Messiah.

The Children of Dune series told the story of the Dune Messiah book, followed by the Children of Dune book.

The old and new series will overlap on Dune Messiah, but otherwise are telling different parts of the Dune saga story.

The six Frank Herbert books are the story (the last three feature huge time skips and get a bit wierder). The stuff by his son is trash fan fiction and to be avoided (sorry but I have read the Dune series I reckon more than 20 times).

I liked the first movie, but the second movie was astounding (visuals and sound). Considering most of the book content takes place inside someone's head it is an amazing achievement to get it on film. A little like LOTR, it looks 'right'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The six Frank Herbert books are the story (the last three feature huge time skips and get a bit wierder). The stuff by his son is trash fan fiction and to be avoided (sorry but I have read the Dune series I reckon more than 20 times).

I liked the first movie, but the second movie was astounding (visuals and sound). Considering most of the book content takes place inside someone's head it is an amazing achievement to get it on film. A little like LOTR, it looks 'right'.

Yes, and no.

There was meant to be a seventh book but unfortunately Frank died before he had a chance to write or complete it. It was meant to resolve the cliffhanger left over by Chapterhouse Dune. Not sure where this book would have ended up as the story became a weird mess after God Emperor but it was supposedly meant to end the 2nd trilogy of books.

I am going to assume the TV series based on the Bene Geserrit will likely cover the later books at some stage. I wonder if the Futars will make an appearance? It would be really interesting if they also cover book 1 again but from the Bene Geserrit point of view only.

People seem nervous about Dune Messiah being adapted as a trilogy capper but I reckon DV can do just about anything.
He demonstrated pretty astute judgement in which parts of Dune to omit/build upon. No doubt he'll manage to make it totally captivating, even if on paper the story is a fair bit harder to adapt.
I can't really think of any other fantasy series that has had such an impact on its audience since LOTR... maybe the first 3 or 4 seasons of Game of Thrones. This is the sort of movie that illustrates why people are fed up with Disney's production line films.

Also, I saw this opening night at FOMO in Brunswick East - it's a new cinema that's pretty much the equivalent of Gold Class but for a regular priced ticket (if not a little steeper at $25). Highly recommend the experience for anyone in Melbourne, I wouldn't usually plug a place like this, but 2024 is gonna be tough for local cinemas due to the lack of blockbuster releases and I hope they can get through on what's a pretty risky investment, especially when the moviegoing experience can be so awful nowadays at Hoyts/Village with dickheads on their phones and kids talking the whole time.

People seem nervous about Dune Messiah being adapted as a trilogy capper but I reckon DV can do just about anything.
He demonstrated pretty astute judgement in which parts of Dune to omit/build upon. No doubt he'll manage to make it totally captivating, even if on paper the story is a fair bit harder to adapt.

The only issue is marketing as there are no happy endings in the Dune series and it will still feel unresolved as it jumps straight into Children of Dune.

There was meant to be a seventh book but unfortunately Frank died before he had a chance to write or complete it. It was meant to resolve the cliffhanger left over by Chapterhouse Dune. Not sure where this book would have ended up as the story became a weird mess after God Emperor but it was supposedly meant to end the 2nd trilogy of books.

I am going to assume the TV series based on the Bene Geserrit will likely cover the later books at some stage. I wonder if the Futars will make an appearance? It would be really interesting if they also cover book 1 again but from the Bene Geserrit point of view only.

The difficulty is with Leto II and how to depict. Even concept art can't agree but after seeing Dune 2 I would very much like to see this director attempt to show us that. I thought that a Balrog could not be done or a Smaug but both of those with CGI turned out very well indeed.

I can't really think of any other fantasy series that has had such an impact on its audience since LOTR... maybe the first 3 or 4 seasons of Game of Thrones. This is the sort of movie that illustrates why people are fed up with Disney's production line films.

Also, I saw this opening night at FOMO in Brunswick East - it's a new cinema that's pretty much the equivalent of Gold Class but for a regular priced ticket (if not a little steeper at $25). Highly recommend the experience for anyone in Melbourne, I wouldn't usually plug a place like this, but 2024 is gonna be tough for local cinemas due to the lack of blockbuster releases and I hope they can get through on what's a pretty risky investment, especially when the moviegoing experience can be so awful nowadays at Hoyts/Village with dickheads on their phones and kids talking the whole time.

I watched it at Docklands. They don't even check your tickets.

The cinema I frequent to, at times when I've went to the 10:30am-11am session there's never anyone standing at the entrance to all the rooms. Have cheekily thought about just walking through without pay :p, but it's only $15 for premium.

Village in Geelong didn't check tickets. Cost me $47 for me and my son. I might go back for a sneaky free rewatch :p

I've been talking up DV for years and agree he can do anything, but he also sticks very closely to the source material and Messiah is just not an epic sci-fi action-adventure, it’s a lot of people sitting around talking.

He is going to have his work cut out for him.

I've been talking up DV for years and agree he can do anything, but he also sticks very closely to the source material and Messiah is just not an epic sci-fi action-adventure, it’s a lot of people sitting around talking.

He is going to have his work cut out for him.

I think his saving grace is the Fremen Jihad which he can embellish in action sequences. Frank Herbert never really wrote much in the way of action scenes in his books, so DV will have free reign to interpret that part of the story in his own way.

I think his saving grace is the Fremen Jihad which he can embellish in action sequences. Frank Herbert never really wrote much in the way of action scenes in his books, so DV will have free reign to interpret that part of the story in his own way.
I thought he would for sure do that with this movie, but I felt he kept very much to the pacing of the book. The epic battel sequence at the end would have gone on forever in most films but was over in the blink of an eye.

He is such a fanboi, I'm just not sure he is going to make fundamental changes to the tone of the books.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back