Dunkley and the other players

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope there is no issue. As much as we like to think its not, AFL is a business, so these things would be a regular occurrence. If the players can ok with things like Hunter's early season debacle, and Libba can bounce back from his king street incident from a few years ago, for example, this shouldn't be an issue, especially because Dunkley has been reported to be a consummate professional.

I doubt there would be a consistent response from the rest of our list. Some would shrug it off and move on, aware that contract stuff happens all the time in trade week. Some might think less of Dunkley for his request for a trade after having signed an extension about 6 months earlier. Those that are good enough mates with him I would expect nothing to change whatsoever though.

They should welcome him with open arms, give him a big bloody hug and then gather everyone together and say - "right - we've got a flag to win.... Nothing less than 100% commitment for 12 months. No bitching, no slacking and we've got a chance to be on top again...."

He'll be made Vice-Captain and play centre.
That sort of reward for threatening to leave might just encourage other players to have a tanty.
Needs to be handled carefully. If it's clearly deserved and he's 100% behind the club then it can happen in good time. Doesn't have to be straight away.

That sort of reward for threatening to leave might just encourage other players to have a tanty.
Needs to be handled carefully. If it's clearly deserved and he's 100% behind the club then it can happen in good time. Doesn't have to be straight away.
My comment was made in the assumption he is 100% a dogs player for life. I have faith it will be handled well. Can't give it to Hunter, not Treloar, not Smith, he's still the best option IMO.

My comment was made in the assumption he is 100% a dogs player for life. I have faith it will be handled well. Can't give it to Hunter, not Treloar, not Smith, he's still the best option IMO.

Next year it has to be Wallis. If Dunkley recommits then he's next.

I suspect his team mates and coaches will shun him. For the next two years he will be sent to play for the Footscray VFL team where he will get his wish of being the "big banana" and guaranteed midfield minutes. He will be mocked and tormented by everyone who works at our club. Supporters will throw rotten fruit and spit at him every time he enters and leaves the field. He will be made an example of so that no other player ever considers trying to leave our glorious club ever again.

Like the huge disparity in wages across the board at a club, players understand that its not personal just business and will just shrug and move along.

I suspect that the path will not be as smooth with the coaches or administration. It was incredibly disappointing to see some of the stuff put about by his representatives in the days after the news of Essingtongs approach were made public. However, this seemed to subside somewhat in the past few days as it became clear that neither side was really willing to budge too much on their position and it was probably for the best that they didnt burn their bridges.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suspect his team mates and coaches will shun him. For the next two years he will be sent to play for the Footscray VFL team where he will get his wish of being the "big banana" and guaranteed midfield minutes. He will be mocked and tormented by everyone who works at our club. Supporters will throw rotten fruit and spit at him every time he enters and leaves the field. He will be made an example of so that no other player ever considers trying to leave our glorious club ever again.

Please......

We're sending him to the magoos to play ruck, high half foward and forward pocket.

I'd like to hear him speak, and I think its incumbent of him to do that for the clubs members and supporters tbh. Sooner the better.

Let him lick his wounds for a while. I'd rather not hear him forced to lie and pretend he's happy to still be at the club. Let him disappear for a while and process it.

We wrap our arms around Josh and try and win a flag.

We tell Andrew Dunkley to never set foot in the club again. campaigner of a person.

Realistically, there's plenty who have considered moves elsewhere and it just hasn't reached the news. Even Chris Grant nearly left us. Yes, they didn't request trades but I think this is salvagable. Probably a bit awkward at first but it should be fine by the time the season starts.

Good news is that even if Josh decides he still wants to go in 2021, we've already just gained another great midfielder in Treloar. So any potential move can just be used to target quality players in areas of need

Remove this Banner Ad

Back