Dunstall or Buddy

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd say Dunstall but don't undersell Franklin because he left the club. The guy is a superstar. One of the very best. Just look at his record...

Also, shocking to see the Swannies play him a few weeks ago when he could barely stand. Really poor.

Also, shocking to see the Swannies play him a few weeks ago when he could barely stand. Really poor.

Goes to show how desperate they are. They are staring down consecutive years of zero return on their investment. Even with Buddy firing on all cylinders they are at best an outside chance. Why they would risk his longer term output for some short term gain is a dangerous strategy, but to some extent, understandable. Whomever signed off on his mega deal must be sweating buckets...

Those injuries in his final two seasons really cruelled Dunstall's chances of outlasting Lockett and snaffling the top-dog goal kicker mantle.he easily surpasses Franklin as a Hawk great!

He easily would have had that record had it not been for SOS (serge's octopus son) injuring him twice.

Easily the best Hawk forward, as good as Matthews and Brereton were in my lifetime.

Dunstall. Easy!
I think alot of this has to do with childhood heroes. Dunstall was my childhood hero, much like he probably was to many others here.
And i dont think anyone can ever go above your childhood hero.
There as nothing about the Chief i didnt know as a kid. even to the extent when i went to get a haircut in 1992 as a 10 year old, i asked the hairdresser to leave my sideburns!! yep i was obsessed. my jason dunstall footy card collection also proves this....still occasionally add to it when a rare find comes up.
And what makes it even better is that the childhood hero is STILL heavily involved at the club!!

Not comparing any players here, but buddy went to Sydney...Dermie went to Syd and Collingwood, Lethal coached at Pies and Lions.
But Dunstall is truly a one club man!

Dunstall, he retired 10 years before i was born but hes still my hero, i think hes the goat of footy and i have lots of footy cards of him and he was such a great player in a great side and i know everything about him and he was loyal to his club, i begged my team manager this year to give me no19 and now im flogging everyone in the goalkicking at bottom age because i watch his highlights every week before my game, i even tuck in the gurnesy and wear the same football boots as him, well hes the goat after all

Lucky enough to watch all of Dunstall's career, and it is Dunstall clearly for me.

'Imagine if such and such (insert name of super talented forward) got themselves really fit, dedicated themselves to footy, busted their arse for the team every game, played unselfishly and had ice in his veins when kicking for goal - imagine how great he'd be.'

That was Jason Dunstall. When real talent meets humility.

Dunstall, comfortably, definitely would have broken Coventry’s record and been neck and neck with Lockett to the end of their careers had he not done his knee In that 1996 final against the AFL Swans.
Not many players warrant walking from end to end at the quarter time breaks just so you could be close to them playing, Lockett, Ablett, Dunstall and Hudson did this.

Dunstall, he retired 10 years before i was born but hes still my hero, i think hes the goat of footy and i have lots of footy cards of him and he was such a great player in a great side and i know everything about him and he was loyal to his club, i begged my team manager this year to give me no19 and now im flogging everyone in the goalkicking at bottom age because i watch his highlights every week before my game, i even tuck in the gurnesy and wear the same football boots as him, well hes the goat after all
Really appreciate this post. Too often we are in love with the players we grow up watching and don't truly appreciate the ones gone before. I'm definitely a culprit of this - born early 80s and don't appreciate our champions from ears pre-late 80s and beyond. Good on you. May you go on to kick a bucketload of goals this season, and, in a few years to come, for the mighty hawks!

Wrote the Chief a letter in '88 when I was kid , 18 months later got a handwritten 3 page reply . Still one of my prized possesions.

What a superstar he was. Lot of people got sucked into the ' boring lead up forward' but totally misread how good he was.
Super quick in a burst , brilliant reader of the play and the best hands you will see.

Then he could beat 4-5 opponants and kick a left foot 45m goal like he did against the Dogs at Whitten Oval.

In his last year on one leg he kicked 9 against the Bombres at Waverley . Was a masterclass in forward play .
Great memories from one of the greats .

He has Bud covered for us IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wrote the Chief a letter in '88 when I was kid , 18 months later got a handwritten 3 page reply . Still one of my prized possesions.

What a superstar he was. Lot of people got sucked into the ' boring lead up forward' but totally misread how good he was.
Super quick in a burst , brilliant reader of the play and the best hands you will see.

Then he could beat 4-5 opponants and kick a left foot 45m goal like he did against the Dogs at Whitten Oval.

In his last year on one leg he kicked 9 against the Bombres at Waverley . Was a masterclass in forward play .

Would love to see it if you wanted to post 🙂

I always get this bit wrong, Ablett was seriously considering returning to Hawthorn at the end of either 1987 or 1988 seasons. Can you imagine our 1988 & 1989 premiership teams PLUS Gary Ablett? There'd never be any doubt about who was the greatest team of all time.

Ablett was not “considering” returning to Glenferrie

He actually signed a legally binding contract before the 1989 season

Hawthorn tore it up having decided in the end he would be a distraction and not worth the effort to the team ethos

Dermie wrote about it one time. Ablett snr was such an anathema to the team game that Hawthorn played they didn’t want him back, despite signing him to a contract at the end of 1988

He turned up out of shape to preseason and couldn’t follow team rules. He did preseason with Hawthorn that year

It was why he was so possessed in the 89 GF. Wanted to show them up

Not to be funny but he and Buddy ain’t even a little bit close

I loved Buddy when he was a Hawk, but if it wasnt for Jason Dunstall, I may not have become a Hawks man.

The area I grew up in in Brisbane had a very good Rugby League team (Wynnum Manly) which had the likes of Wally Lewis and Gene Miles to name a few.
So I was very much into my League.

The very first game of Australian Rules I saw was the 1984 Grand Final.
As an 8 year old, I didnt like the look of the dark coloured team........they looked evil.
An the other team looked like bees, so I went for them.
Needless to say, we lost that GF.

The following year, a Queenslander by the name of Jason Dunstall rolls up to play for Hawthorn.
We generally only got one game on the TV every week, the match of the day, which quite often featured Hawthorn. Partly because they were one of the better teams, but also because there was a Queenslander playing in the side.

So from that moment on I was a Hawk.
About 10 years later I played my first club game of footy at U17 level. Just so happened to be a Cooporoo, where Jason Dunstall was recruited from to Hawthorn.

Thanks piggy
I am not sure I would have been a Hawk without you
I guess the sun shines on a dog **** every once in a while.

I’m wondering, did anyone that was around in those days consider Dermott Brereton the better player? I was a very young boy, so with no real knowledge of what was going on, I had it in my mind Brereton was the better player. By the time I understood what was going on, Derm was cooked. Does anyone consider Derm better than both of them?

I’m wondering, did anyone that was around in those days consider Dermott Brereton the better player? I was a very young boy, so with no real knowledge of what was going on, I had it in my mind Brereton was the better player. By the time I understood what was going on, Derm was cooked. Does anyone consider Derm better than both of them?

No. Derm was the heart & soul. The talisman at CHF, he was at times considered more critical, but never “better”

Without the CHF the FF wasn’t getting service back then.

I had Derms number on my back, but it was certainly Dunstall. Derm was actually in the team for a few years before Dunstall so I never remember comparing them like for like. Dunstall emerged as the better player and then zoomed right past him in the 90s.

Derm wasn't on the field much in 1992, and not at all in 93, was at Sydney in 94, and had retired by 96. All years in which Dunstall kicked the ton. So I think this chap is underselling "The Fat One" a fair bit.

Having said that, as a pure matchwinner, I would take Derm over both (and for far more than the goals he kicked/set up - he imposed himself physically on games in such a way that you probably can't do these days).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back