Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2021
Lockdown 6.0 and not coming out anytime soon
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Maroons, Eels
Dunstall over Dermie
i wish i was around when Dunstall was playing footy, hes the greatest ever but i was born 10 years after he finished so i have to watch his matches off youtube and there really hard to find,, but Dunstall every day, i know everything about him, got the ton so many times and kicked 17 once, the whole team can hardly get 17 these days, Dunstalls my favourite player anyway, i have the same football boots, tucked in gurnesy and same playing style as him, i watch his highlights every week before my football game and kick heaps of goals, lots of people say Dermie becuse he was more in the game, but its Dunstall who would play consistently over his whole carrer while Dermie was finished by 92 then went to sydney and collingwood while Dunstall knocked back a 2 million dollar deal from Brissy in 93, i went to Queensland for my birthday a month ago and i so badly wanted to go to Coorparoo, where Piggy was from, Hes the reason i started barracking for the Hawks because my whole family are Geelong, Carlton or Collingwood, Dunstall would be the one who would win you a flag,

Dunstall over Dermie
i wish i was around when Dunstall was playing footy, hes the greatest ever but i was born 10 years after he finished so i have to watch his matches off youtube and there really hard to find,, but Dunstall every day, i know everything about him, got the ton so many times and kicked 17 once, the whole team can hardly get 17 these days, Dunstalls my favourite player anyway, i have the same football boots, tucked in gurnesy and same playing style as him, i watch his highlights every week before my football game and kick heaps of goals, lots of people say Dermie becuse he was more in the game, but its Dunstall who would play consistently over his whole carrer while Dermie was finished by 92 then went to sydney and collingwood while Dunstall knocked back a 2 million dollar deal from Brissy in 93, i went to Queensland for my birthday a month ago and i so badly wanted to go to Coorparoo, where Piggy was from, Hes the reason i started barracking for the Hawks because my whole family are Geelong, Carlton or Collingwood, Dunstall would be the one who would win you a flag,
Dermie was a crash n bash player at centre half forward who’s body was cooked by the early 90s. Eventually forced out when the club was struggling financially at the end of 93. Saying all that Dunstall was the better player

Dunstall over Dermie

I would go Brereton myself - i know the end wasnt flash at Syd/Coll - but he did have that hip problem - and i dont reckon he had his heart in it with those 2 teams - hed already climbed the mountain etc

You only have to watch the 91 GF - to appreciate how good Brereton was and how important he was to Haw

That could be Dermies best ever game for Haw - he absolutely destroyed Ashley McIntosh- kicked 4-5 goals and his o/head marking was a highlight

Im pretty sure 2 weeks earlier in the 2nd semi against Geel - he was out injured or suspended -and Hawks just got over the line in that game

If i was rating Haw key position players of that era id go

(1) Brereton

(2) Equal 2nd Dunstall and Mew ( who was very rarely beaten - and i reckon just a little bit better than Langford )

(3) Langford

Derm lacked consistency after 85. He would hardly get a touch half the time, but could easily lift for big games or when Dunstall was not playing (e.g. 11 goals at FF with broken ribs).
Dunstall was the opposite. Consistently brilliant. Every week.
Derm’a best was as good, but I would say Dunstall played 250 A grade games and Derm maybe 100.

I always thought Dunstall was relatively overrated somewhat.

You know, good player in a freak team alongside other forwards doing thr heavy lifting, and getting silver service from the John Platten's and Darren Jarmen's of the world.

But then he went bald, got fat and played in a s**t team and was on one leg - and he still kicked 10 every second week!!

Freak.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a journeyman footballer really.
Except most journeyman are s**t. Dermie is only a s**t commentator and that’s because he doesn’t have a sizeable vocabulary to get a point across. Don’t know how a guy who opts for saying as many words as possible has a job as a commentator.

Dunstall without the knee reco in 1996/97 and broken collarbone in 1998 ever happening would have passed Lockett in career goals.

If reigning premier Hawthorn had of not been knocked out of the 1992 finals in Week 1, Dunstall would have also surpassed Pratt and Hudson's record of 150 goals in a season, Dunstall finished with 145.

In his last year, Dunstall kicked 54.18 from 13 games, an accuracy of 75%.

He and Lockett are two of the most structured shots for goal I've seen in my lifetime.

Dunstall without the knee reco in 1996/97 and broken collarbone in 1998 ever happening would have passed Lockett in career goals.

If reigning premier Hawthorn had of not been knocked out of the 1992 finals in Week 1, Dunstall would have also surpassed Pratt and Hudson's record of 150 goals in a season, Dunstall finished with 145.

He and Lockett are two of the most structured shots for goal I've seen in my lifetime.
Lockett missed a few games over his career too. Played 30 or so games in three years in his middle St Kilda years and then finished with 20 in his final two St Kilda years.

IMHO, ideally one would’ve broken the record and then the other would’ve broken that record.

What? Why is it only Dunstall’s missed games that are relevant? Lockett missed plenty as well.

Dunstall played 269 games in a generally much stronger team and averaged 4.7 goals a game. Lockett played 281 games (so only 12 more) and averaged 4.8 goals a game.

Anyway, this is about Dunstall and Dermie, not Dunstall and Lockett - there’s another thread about that somewhere.

Lockett missed a few games over his career too. Played 30 or so games in three years in his middle St Kilda years and then finished with 20 in his final two St Kilda years.

IMHO, ideally one would’ve broken the record and then the other would’ve broken that record.
What? Why is it only Dunstall’s missed games that are relevant? Lockett missed plenty as well.

Dunstall played 269 games in a generally much stronger team and averaged 4.7 goals a game. Lockett played 281 games (so only 12 more) and averaged 4.8 goals a game.

Anyway, this is about Dunstall and Dermie, not Dunstall and Lockett - there’s another thread about that somewhere.

That Dunstall would have caught Lockett's tally without latter career injury, but that the two of them would have finished a clear 1st and 2nd was my poorly constructed point.

Dunstall was a machine and very enjoyable to watch. No hysterics, no complaining, just did the job week in week out for his whole career. TBH I'm surprised he's so outspoken and lively (even extroverted?) on tv because he wasn't like that as a player at all.

Back