Dunstall or Dermie

Dunstall or Dermie

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

nice they were decent players, not as good as Piggy though
Dunstall is behind all of Lockett, Ablett, Carey.

there were genuine freaks of the game.

dunstall was just a man. Who could not take a pack mark. He would be no champion in the modern game given how flooded defences are.

probably just another Tom hawkins.

dunstall was just a man. Who could not take a pack mark. He would be no champion in the modern game given how flooded defences are.

just because Piggy would kick heaps against your team

Impossible to defend against because of how he played. He would be nearly at 100 goals by now because the kicking from the midfield would find him every time.

thats why Geelong supporters dont like Piggy because he would kick 10 every time Hawks played Geelong
I like Piggy. I just don’t rate him as good as the others. but I probably still overrate him cos he played better against Geelong then he did against other teams. If I followed another team he didn’t do as well against i would probably rate him even less.

best key fowards I have seen In order.

ablett
lockett
carey
franklin
dunstall
modra
n. Riewoldt.
brereton

i have 3 hawks in that list. but none make thé top 3.

I like Piggy. I just don’t rate him as good as the others. but I probably still overrate him cos he played better against Geelong then he did against other teams. If I followed another team he didn’t do as well against I would probably rate him even less.

best key fowards I have seen In order.

ablett
lockett
carey
franklin
dunstall
modra
n. Riewoldt.
brereton

i have 3 hawks in that list. but none make thé top 3.
Ablett and Lockett never won any premierships. Unfortunately that counts. If Buckley had won a few premierships I would regard him to be the best ever. Carey and Dunstall are neck and neck for mine but Dunstall just edges him out.

Dunstall over Dermie
i wish i was around when Dunstall was playing footy, hes the greatest ever but i was born 10 years after he finished so i have to watch his matches off youtube and there really hard to find,, but Dunstall every day, i know everything about him, got the ton so many times and kicked 17 once, the whole team can hardly get 17 these days, Dunstalls my favourite player anyway, i have the same football boots, tucked in gurnesy and same playing style as him, i watch his highlights every week before my football game and kick heaps of goals, lots of people say Dermie becuse he was more in the game, but its Dunstall who would play consistently over his whole carrer while Dermie was finished by 92 then went to sydney and collingwood while Dunstall knocked back a 2 million dollar deal from Brissy in 93, i went to Queensland for my birthday a month ago and i so badly wanted to go to Coorparoo, where Piggy was from, Hes the reason i started barracking for the Hawks because my whole family are Geelong, Carlton or Collingwood, Dunstall would be the one who would win you a flag,
You’re very lucky to have had two greats of the game play for Hawthorn, especially during the same time. Not a bad two to have to pick from either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

never got to watch any of there careers live
Buddy is above those two, and you would’ve watched him. His greatness won’t be recognised until after he retires. I grew up with Saverio Rocca as my favourite player, loved watching those types play.

Buddy is above those two, and you would’ve watched him. His greatness won’t be recognised until after he retires. I grew up with Saverio Rocca as my favourite player, loved watching those types play.
he left hawks when i was 5 and i dont watch any sydney matches unless there against hawthorn, so dont see much of buddy + buddy has barely played in last 3 seasons, i still think Dunstall over all players in history

Dunstall for me before and after footy.

Intelligent guy who adds to the football media and commentary, as a player I feel like he's in a clear echelon above Brereton.

Also was massive in the Clarkson decision.

Dunstall.

Dunstall was a machine and very enjoyable to watch. No hysterics, no complaining, just did the job week in week out for his whole career. TBH I'm surprised he's so outspoken and lively (even extroverted?) on tv because he wasn't like that as a player at all.

Yep got to agree.

For a FF at the time, he shared the ball around a hell of a lot bringing others into the game. He wasn't the standard "goal hungry" selfish FF model of his time. I often wonder how many goals he may have kicked had he had a selfish mindset...

Also, I completely agree with his media personality. He was so focused when on the field and rarely showed any emotion. Certainly a surprise to see him being very excitable and loud on TV...and in a good way.

Yep got to agree.

For a FF at the time, he shared the ball around a hell of a lot bringing others into the game. He wasn't the standard "goal hungry" selfish FF model of his time. I often wonder how many goals he may have kicked had he had a selfish mindset...

Also, I completely agree with his media personality. He was so focused when on the field and rarely showed any emotion. Certainly a surprise to see him being very excitable and loud on TV...and in a good way.
would of easily passed Lockett if he was selfish

If Dunstall had peroxide hair and wore flouro boots he would have been noticed a lot more as the champion he was
Was probably the first gun FF who really put in the defensive work on the turnover too.

If Dunstall had peroxide hair and wore flouro boots he would have been noticed a lot more as the champion he was
Was probably the first gun FF who really put in the defensive work on the turnover too.
true, he looked like just about every other hawk player in that time so he did go a bit unnoticed

Happy to concede the first line of your claim, although 1254 career goals is hard to ignore and there is also the fact that 'goal assists' were rarely acknowledged as part of the game back then...

Related story - Early 90's, a good mate (Pies supporter) and I were watching our respective teams battle it out. It was a rather scrappy match with few highlights when early in the last quarter with the Hawks up by a few goals, suddenly Dunstall launches himself horizontally with the ball seemly gone past him and pulls off an incredible two-handed slips type mark!
Mate looks at me and exclaims; 'Oh FFS!, that's impossible, I'm outta here!' and wanders off shaking his head heading for exit...

Dermie. Great player but have always struggled to buy into his claim that most of his 'rough stuff' was nearly always in reaction to earlier incidents against him or team mates as 'square-ups'..?
As Andrew Bew's once told me, even sarcastic compliments, like 'nice hair mate, ha,ha,ha' were often used as convenient excuses for his regular violence - and Bew's also recalls; for such a skilled player he sure did miss the ball a lot, but rarely your head, when attempting to spoil during marking contests...

Last edited:
Happy to concede the first line of your claim, although 1254 career goals is hard to ignore and there is also the fact that 'goal assists' were rarely acknowledged as part of the game back then...

Related story - Early 90's, a good mate (Pies supporter) and I were watching our respective teams battle it out. It was a rather scrappy match with few highlights when early in the last quarter with the Hawks up by a few goals, suddenly Dunstall launches himself horizontally with the ball seemly gone past him and pulls off an incredible two-handed slips type mark!
Mate looks at me and exclaims; 'Oh FFS!, that's impossible, I'm outta here!' and wanders off shaking his head heading for exit...

Dermie. Great player but have always struggled to buy into his claim that most of his 'rough stuff' was nearly always in reaction to earlier incidents against him or team mates as 'square-ups'..?
As Andrew Bew's once told me, even sarcastic compliments, like 'nice hair mate, ha,ha,ha' were often used as convenient excuses for his regular violence - and Bew's also recalls; for such a skilled player he sure did miss the ball a lot when attempting to spoil during marking contests...
No player symbolised the eighties more than dermie. A true character of the game who probably isn’t remembered as highly as he should be.

Back