Dunstall or Huddo

Who was better, Jason Dunstall or Peter Hudson?

• Dunstall

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • P Hudson

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought this thread was going to be on who was the better commentator, and I was going to say they are very different commentators and not really comparable.
I thought the exact same thing.
I do like both as commentators, they both talk about the game instead of about cliquey crap.

Hudson pushed the Chief to the pocket in our TOTC so goes to show what the selectors think.

We've been blessed though. Lucky bastards who grew up in the 70s and being able to see the likes of Hudson, Dunstall, Dermie, Franklin, Roughy etc at full flight. Our TOTC 'reserves' side would have a better CHF FF combo than some teams 1st choice.

Also considering Hudson's last season in the VFL was in 1974 it means anyone under about 60 probably can't answer this question with any certainty.

He made a comeback in 1977. And kicked 110.

As much as I love Dunstall, Hudson is the greatest.

He made a comeback in 1977. And kicked 110.

As much as I love Dunstall, Hudson is the greatest.

Even so, that means a person would need to be a minimum of about 55 years old to be old enough to have properly understood how good or bad a player was who played in 1977. I am not sure about the age breakdown of bigfooty but I suspect 55+ is in the minority. I would be surprised if more than around 25% of users are that old or older.

Even so, that means a person would need to be a minimum of about 55 years old to be old enough to have properly understood how good or bad a player was who played in 1977. I am not sure about the age breakdown of bigfooty but I suspect 55+ is in the minority. I would be surprised if more than around 25% of users are that old or older.
Played until 1982 in TFL

288 games cross the VFL and TFL for 1687, highest goal per game in the VFL. Hudson is the best forward to play the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Dunstall at his peak magically appeared in 1970 and played FF, he'd have kicked 220 goals. Basically would have marked almost every single ball that came near him.

If Hudson magically appeared in 1991, he'd have barely made it through the warm up without having cardiac arrest, let alone touching the ball.

So that's one way to look at it.

The other way is to try to imagine Dunstall's career developing the same way as Hudson's in terms of training and professionalism, then comparing them. And vice versa. But to do that is an exercise in complete fantasy, even moreso than the former hypothetical.

So in summary, this thread is a complete and utter waste of time.

Hudson did his knee R1 1972. He’d kicked 8 before half time. Missed rest of 72 and most of 73 before playing a one-off game against top of the ladder Collingwood. Kicked 8 still virtually on one leg. Made the defenders look stupid. I was there to see it. Finally came back for 1977 season and kicked 110 after missing most of the previous 5 seasons. He was a freak. He was not athletic, but an excellent pack mark, had great footy smarts and kicked his strange, floating punts with great accuracy. A unique footballer but probably wouldn’t get a game today as his strengths are not considered important any more. Dunstall was great but just didn’t have Hudson’s freakishness.

I don't think the comparison is fair to Jason. Hudson was a complete 1 off, incomparable. His IQ was thru the ceiling. He didn't rely on fast leads. Put the ball within 10 metres of Peter, and the guy who ran like a girl, couldn't jump much, wasnt very agile, kicked a wobbly flat punt, would give you 5 goals a game. Without training.

Both great players. But I’d take Hudson.
I was very young when he first played & a teenager in his come back in 1977.
Massive footy smarts. He could read the play that split second before others.
Very fast on the lead - he could get separation in a blink.
Tall and strong when one on one.
Not a high flyer, but a great contested mark.
He had presence. You knew where he was and as an opposition, you were nervous. All eyes were drawn to him. Very few players have that effect.
To top it off, he was a superbly accurate kick.
Maybe not a super athlete, but he was the perfect package for a full forward.
A magnificent player.

Golly gee, what type of decline are we in if a bloke hears the word Huddo and thinks of a commentator?

I've seen this slippage elsewhere - some nonce I met immediately thought of Karl when Marx was mentioned, not knowing anything about the more intelligent Groucho.

Golly gee, what type of decline are we in if a bloke hears the word Huddo and thinks of a commentator?

I've seen this slippage elsewhere - some nonce I met immediately thought of Karl when Marx was mentioned, not knowing anything about the more intelligent Groucho.

It happens over time. Anthony Hudson is someone we all see and hear every week, while Peter Hudson is a distant memory for a lot of people here and for others such as myself, basically a statistic since I wasn't alive for any part of his career.

It happens over time. Anthony Hudson is someone we all see and hear every week, while Peter Hudson is a distant memory for a lot of people here and for others such as myself, basically a statistic since I wasn't alive for any part of his career.
Sure.
I'm having a bit of fun.

Back