Traded Dunstan to Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Contrary to alot of outspoken posters on this website, I wasn't a fan of the Carlisle trade for one second.

Going for a need based approach over the best young talent in the draft is a risky business.... especially when you are sitting near the bottom of the ladder.

Yep understand where you are coming from and I agree re need for young talent - especially skilled mids.

Still think Gresham is a class act and exactly what we need (to be playing right now!)

Also I believe us giving Essendon Pick 7, it then gave them pick 6 and pick 7.

This gave them two opportunities/chances to get a Top Ten gun...

If they only had pick 6, who knows who they would have picked as would have pressured them to choose between the two.

I don't need to remind any Saints supporter of what happened in Round 3 this year.

Yep understand where you are coming from and I agree re need for young talent - especially skilled mids.

Still think Gresham is a class act and exactly what we need (to be playing right now!)

Thanks mate, Gresh is certainly a class act.

But our strategy seems to keep happening with our only trade so far is to swap out a higher pick for multiple lower ones.

This just shows our recruiters are not confident in picking the best talent available and favour the scatergun approach with the hope that they might get lucky with one.

Thanks mate, Gresh is certainly a class act.

But our strategy seems to keep happening with our only trade so far is to swap out a higher pick for multiple lower ones.

This just shows our recruiters are not confident in picking the best talent available and favour the scatergun approach with the hope that they might get lucky with one.

Wrong.
The later picks can potentially give us a better result for the NGA's .

Decent deal, poor drafting.

We could have got Matt Crouch and Zac Merrett with our Dunstan/Acres picks.

It would be like trading Marshall out now. You'd get a good pick but you want to make sure you nail the pick or it's just recklessly dumb. We then used high picks on Hickey and Longer to further the stupid.

Gresham ended up making it a good trade. We got a bit out of Carlisle but Gresham could still be better than the players we were likely to get at the original pick. Carlisle ended up a disappointment over all.

Wrong.
The later picks can potentially give us a better result for the NGA's .

We do seem a bit scared of first round picks. We would have taken the least in footy almost you'd think.

We do seem a bit scared of first round picks. We would have taken the least in footy almost you'd think.

Probably, i was talking about getting the later picks in this year.
No big deal but just a clever little trade in context with the dfa's i think.

Still blown away that 11 Brownlow votes didn’t net us any compensation at all! Nothing. Zip. Zero.
😉
This is a bit odd, but probably there is a counter issue of salary cap, or maybe LD wasn’t giving the coaches what they wanted in a general way.

That said, what kind of player is Duntstan? I regret i didnt see many Saints games in the past 12 months.

This is a bit odd, but probably there is a counter issue of salary cap, or maybe LD wasn’t giving the coaches what they wanted in a general way.

That said, what kind of player is Duntstan? I regret i didnt see many Saints games in the past 12 months.
He had a ton of heart but never looked good until his brownlow streak this year. He absolutely deserved to be brought back into the team given his VFL performance was great. If he can keep some of that form he showed during this year, he's a steal. I doubt he can though, and he's a ball butcher. At least you know he'll try his heart out, though.

He had a ton of heart but never looked good until his brownlow streak this year. He absolutely deserved to be brought back into the team given his VFL performance was great. If he can keep some of that form he showed during this year, he's a steal. I doubt he can though, and he's a ball butcher. At least you know he'll try his heart out, though.
Yeah. I think your post summed up pretty well. From what I’ve seen of him, he absolutely needs some game time to see whether he can add to his primarily inside role, and become a better kick. I too doubt that this will happen, but he is still useful depth. And like you said he tries his heart out.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Inside ball pig mid.

Inside ball pig mid.
I can recall this. I don’t mind him and it looks like it suits both clubs really. You now have his salary off your books, and opening the door to tempt more players on a needs basis

He was terrible early on but he came good when he came back in. I don't know who worked with him but his disposal was much much better. He was proper s**t once but somehow he either played with in his limitations or improved out of sight. Possibly in worse midfields he was under more pressure too. Asa side we seemed to play a different brand but he was a huge part of the turn around.

I think he played with something to prove and he obviously had issues with Rattan. Once the anger goes he's going to have to find new motivation. I still worry we are going to step back to our early season form once he goes. We have to get a mid to step up out of Gresham, Clark or Bytel now to cover the gap or we are going to miss his output. Jones and Crouch are known quantities and could get more consistency and Steele is a gun but we have no cover for an injury or form fluctuations. Over to those three.....or please cruel footy gods, make one of the new kids a Joel Selwood/ Walsh style instant gun.

I can recall this. I don’t mind him and it looks like it suits both clubs really. You now have his salary off your books, and opening the door to tempt more players on a needs basis

He's very Nathan Jones, big heart, plays to win the ball. He missed pretty much all of 2020 injured and we went out and replaced him with Crouch. He should be a good get as a back up who can come in and play to cover injury without losing ground.

Was a bit of a facetious comment really - bc media people wondered why we were happy / encouraged him to leave after this season. But it was his eighth season, so he did have chances, although injuries too - shoulders and more recently, a pec.

What is a bit odd is that he felt he was better than a back- up player, and he certainly had a purple patch of four games this year - but he’s going to the Dees where he’ll battle to get a look in your midfield unless there’s an injury.

Felt a little hard done by, but we had too many similar, slow players and although he could get the ball his disposal was terrible most of the time. He’s also very much a one position player. We had to move Crouch elsewhere to fit him in.

Seems like a nice guy, will give 100% for you, we had high hopes when we drafted him and he even got Lenny’s number.

He saw the writing on the wall as we have young players that are going to hopefully be taking his spot. Not sure it ended all that amicably but possibly he overrated himself as there did not seem to be that much interest in him, and you guys are obviously not paying him enough to warrant a compo pick. Thanks for that! 😉

He had to go and join the Premiers, didn't he. Would not be surprised at all to see Luke round out the McEvoy/Cripps trifecta here. Unreal! And no compo. We literally cannot take a trick really can we.

He had to go and join the Premiers, didn't he. Would not be surprised at all to see Luke round out the McEvoy/Cripps trifecta here. Unreal! And no compo. We literally cannot take a trick really can we.

s**t time for compo given TPP issues around "suddenly pandemic" that the AFL hadn't changed anything despite "BTDUBS, everyone drop 40% TPP on a dime" is indicative of them not having one single neutron firing.

More bad management than bad luck there!
Didn't have to publicise that we didn't want him.
No good putting stuff out in hard rubbish and regretting it the moment it gets picked up!
The Dunstan situation as well as "he who can't be dropped" raises serious questions about Ratten and match committee's judgment.

More bad management than bad luck there!
Didn't have to publicise that we didn't want him.
No good putting stuff out in hard rubbish and regretting it the moment it gets picked up!
The Dunstan situation as well as "he who can't be dropped" raises serious questions about Ratten and match committee's judgment.

Didn’t exactly notice any clubs fighting for his services though, did you? It was looking like rookie spot at GCS was the only interest until the Dees who probably signed him for the minimum, and probably just as depth. Appears to me their judgement on Luke was spot on.

Didn’t exactly notice any clubs fighting for his services though, did you? It was looking like rookie spot at GCS was the only interest until the Dees who probably signed him for the minimum, and probably just as depth. Appears to me their judgement on Luke was spot on.
Yep, I think their judgement was spot on - but not for the reasons you suggest.

They identified they needed midfield depth in case they lost players to injury. They addressed that by picking up a player that we effectively forced from the club.

I suppose its pleasing to know that our midfield is so deep that the premiers want our rejects!!!

Yep, I think their judgement was spot on - but not for the reasons you suggest.

They identified they needed midfield depth in case they lost players to injury. They addressed that by picking up a player that we effectively forced from the club.

I suppose its pleasing to know that our midfield is so deep that the premiers want our rejects!!!

What part of Luke thought he was better than depth and therefore CHOSE not to stay on do you not understand? The judgement of our coach etc was obviously that he was not best 22.

At the end of the day, the only club that picked him up WAS for depth, so yes, our guys obviously did know what they were talking about, in that he is not a best 22 player - because not one other club wanted him as a starting mid.

What part of Luke thought he was better than depth and therefore CHOSE not to stay on do you not understand? The judgement of our coach etc was obviously that he was not best 22.

At the end of the day, the only club that picked him up WAS for depth, so yes, our guys obviously did know what they were talking about, in that he is not a best 22 player - because not one other club wanted him as a starting mid.
No - he left because Ratten said, at the start of the season, through the season and at the end of the season, he would be viewed as depth only.

I gather he must have got the feeling from Goodwin that form was the only thing that determined selection.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back