Unofficial Preview Dust yourself off and face Essendon unofficial preview

How many days will it take Bonz to do the match preview

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
True that we need someone who can mark down the line but is that really our problem? Our problem, to me, is that we actually need that player. We are at our best when we're lowering our eyes, finding targets, not panicking and launching chaos balls into the stratosphere. The reason we need a tall player to take marks is because we consistently fail to keep that composure and stick to the plan of smart, decisive footy. Look at the weekend. One quarter of playing that way and we kick six goals. Then we crumble under pressure and spend the next three quarters just kicking and hoping with no real method at all. So a player like Reid wouldn't really fix our problem, he'd just paper over the cracks.

Fair dinkum, I just cannot believe what is being written in this preview, the whole 7 pages of it.
Who started this nonsense about Grundy? If he is being given a supposed "shove" I am off after following the Swans since back in the bad old days when they arrived in Sydney and played in front of seemingly a couple of thousand fans and "leaning tower of Pizza" was our fullback.
So we talk match ups now do we? Who was the match up on "two metre Peter" on the weekend as he was taking those uncontested marks all over the place. Smith, Jones, Rampe, Lloyd, Newman look to me to be the perfect match up....NOT. A relative no name, Crossley was having a good time as well, not dominant but Aliir being our only tall was pure nonsense. Marsh or Grundy...you're kidding me?
Grundy has been a tower of strength and a moulder of our backline for years and to my eyes still is a brilliant intercept mark, fine kick. His big weakness has been obvious all through his career and that has been efforts below his knees. We persevered and gained heaps as a result.
If I was picking the Swans side he still remains in the first six of my selections. What absolute nonsense to manage/drop him whether he goes on next year or not.
Mellingtom was going strongly until hurt and Reg was a big part in the confidence he built.
The Swans have been sweating on Dawson for quite a while now, they know his ability, injuries are his problem. He is ready now and must go in.
I am pleased Robinson has some true supporters still hanging in there. I have said before, he was a constant last year until he hurt his shoulder. For some reason now he never was any good. He must be the fourth midfielder, before Heeney and Hewitt, simply because he is a dead set midfielder. Not a change option, the real deal. Heeney and Hewitt then become the change options which suits both. They are great in the air and good set shots when the opportunity arrives. Hewitt is not suited to full time midfield duties, his centre takeaways are rare and his newer role of tagger is a positive if he has to be used the way.
Remember the good old days, Kennedy, Parker, Hannebery and Jack as the supreme foursome. Before that it was O'Keefe and Parker the new boy. Now we effectively have Kennedy as the clearance expert and seemingly works alone with Parker falling away as is the case of Hannebery. These guys have taken plenty since 2012/2013 and it shows. In Kennedy's case, his giant heart carries him onwards, however, opposing teams have now realised that stopping him is a sure fire way to blunt the Sydney midfield. That is the reason Robinson must go in....he works and works and as I have said in an earlier post he is Barlow like in that he becomes the link in the chain that keeps forward press continuing.
Go back at looks at some old games and see how well Jack played his role off the stoppage with his positioning to favour his left foot clearance. Dangerfield does the same thing at the centre, of course, so much better than others. Who have we got that anyone has noticed taking away significant busts from the centre. Only Kennedy and a reduced number from Parker. Both of these have still been able to mark in the circle thankfully.
So what is next, let's decide that Macca is past it????. Fair dinkum again, what have I been watching this year? Like Burgoyne he has been superb in his clearance work. Not just the clearance, but the elite disposal as well. Mills and Lloyd, if he stays, can only benefit from another McVeigh year.
Finally if we keep kicking to Buddy, it will not matter if we have Rohan, Reid, Darcy Moore, Tom Lynch in the side from now on. The opposition knows where it is going and just revel in that knowledge of forward entries and swamp him each week.
Again as I said in an earlier post, the heat map from the Suns game was telling. After initial drives through the middle in the first quarter, closed up by the Suns after quarter time , we were totally unable to switch forward of the centre and belted it up to a wide half forward position to Buddy time after time.
Clever stuff that and the scoreboard has noticed it as well, dumb as it is!

Last edited:
Grundy amd the fans , maybe disrespect is wrong, but just drop him and have the courage to do it , just my view. Not storming the club office over it

You should play Football manager :p

Fair dinkum, I just cannot believe what is being written in this preview, the whole 7 pages of it.
Who started this nonsense about Grundy? If he is being given a supposed "shove" I am off after following the Swans since back in the bad old days when they arrived in Sydney and played in front of seemingly a couple of thousand fans and "leaning tower of Pizza" was our fullback.
So we talk match ups now do we? Who was the match up on "two metre Peter" on the weekend as he was taking those uncontested marks all over the place. Smith, Jones, Rampe, Lloyd, Newman look to me to be the perfect match up....NOT. A relative no name, Crossley was having a good time as well, not dominant but Aliir being our only tall was pure nonsense.
Grundy has been a tower of strength and a moulder of our backline for years and to my eyes still is a brilliant intercept mark, fine kick. His big weakness has been obvious all through his career and that has been efforts below his knees. We persevered and gained heaps as a result.
If I was picking the Swans side he still remains in the first six of my selections. What absolute nonsense to manage/drop him whether he goes on next year or not.
Mellingtom was going strongly until hurt and Reg was a big part in the confidence he built.
The Swans have been sweating on Dawson for quite a while now, they know his ability, injuries are his problem. He is ready now and must go in.
I am pleased Robinson has some true supporters still hanging in there. I have said before, he was a constant last year until he hurt his shoulder. For some reason now he never was any good. He must be the fourth midfielder, before Heeney and Hewitt, simply because he is a dead set midfielder. Not a change option, the real deal. Heeney and Hewitt then become the change options which suits both. They are great in the air and good set shots when the opportunity arrives. Hewitt is not suited to full time midfield duties, his centre takeaways are rare and his newer role of tagger is a positive if he has to be used the way.
Remember the good old days, Kennedy, Parker, Hannebery and Jack as the supreme foursome. Before that it was O'Keefe and Parker the new boy. Now we effectively have Kennedy as the clearance expert and seemingly works alone with Parker falling away as is the case of Hannebery. These guys have taken plenty since 2012/2013 and it shows. In Kennedy's case, his giant heart carries him onwards, however, opposing teams have now realised that stopping him is a sure fire way to blunt the Sydney midfield. That is the reason Robinson must go in....he works and works and as I have said in an earlier post he is Barlow like in that he becomes the link in the chain that keeps forward press continuing.
Go back at looks at some old games and see how well Jack played his role off the stoppage with his positioning to favour his left foot clearance. Dangerfield does the same thing at the centre, of course, so much better than others. Who have we got that anyone has noticed taking away significant busts from the centre. Only Kennedy and a reduced number from Parker. Both of these have still been able to mark in the circle thankfully.
So what is next, let's decide that Macca is past it????. Fair dinkum again, what have I been watching this year. Like Burgoyne he has been superb in his clearance work. Not just the clearance, but the elite disposal as well. Mills and Lloyd , if he stays, can only benefit from another McVeigh year.
Finally if we keep kicking to Buddy, it will not matter if we have Rohan, Reid, Darcy Moore, Tom Lynch in the side from now on. The opposition knows where it is going and just revel in that knowledge of forward entries and swamp him each week.
Again as I said in an earlier post the heat map from the Suns game was telling. After initial drives through the middle in the first quarter, closed up by the Suns after quarter time , we were totally unable to switch forward of the centre and belted it up to a wide half forward position to Buddy time after time.

I agree with most of this except Robinson. I just don't see it. Just doesn't go hard enough IMO and had 11 touches in his last game which apparently was just soo great that he did not deserve to be dropped

I agree with most of this except Robinson. I just don't see it. Just doesn't go hard enough IMO and had 11 touches in his last game which apparently was just soo great that he did not deserve to be dropped

Pretty hard in my opinion to increase the disposals when you are sitting on the pine. Do not see that as his role at all. Midfielders are the work horse and should not be in the spelling paddock.

Heeney will look a film and be disappointed with his efforts defensively

Was absolutely flogged by Miller

Still has a bit to go to become an A grader imo
Needs to start taking games by the scruff and be the bloke that drags us over the line.

Imo he is the most talented bloke on our list besides Bud. Needs to start utilizing it.

The return of AJ will inspire us to win the flag IMO.

Not sure if that flag win will happen this year, but bookmark this post for when it does eventually happen (be it 10, 20 years down the track). You heard it here first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unpopular opinion, but I'm all for Jack coming back. With a team with this many youngsters, why would you not have a former captain to help organise the midfield where it's a clear area that Sydney have been getting smashed in this year. In a similar reason to why Grundy should be back in the team, it's legit a cluster* watching the kids play in a game where the momentum is against them. No offence to Kennedy or Buddy, but they don't seem like the authoritative type (Kennedy's personality doesn't fit it and Buddy sooks more often than not which probs doesn't help on field atmosphere) so we desperately need on-field leaders despite Jack being 'cooked'.

So we talk match ups now do we? Who was the match up on "two metre Peter" on the weekend as he was taking those uncontested marks all over the place. Smith, Jones, Rampe, Lloyd, Newman look to me to be the perfect match up....NOT. A relative no name, Crossley was having a good time as well, not dominant but Aliir being our only tall was pure nonsense. Marsh or Grundy...you're kidding me?
So what is next, let's decide that Macca is past it????. Fair dinkum again, what have I been watching this year? Like Burgoyne he has been superb in his clearance work. Not just the clearance, but the elite disposal as well. Mills and Lloyd, if he stays, can only benefit from another McVeigh year.
Again as I said in an earlier post, the heat map from the Suns game was telling. After initial drives through the middle in the first quarter, closed up by the Suns after quarter time , we were totally unable to switch forward of the centre and belted it up to a wide half forward position to Buddy time after time.
Seems a bit rough on Hewett, I would hazard a guess that he actually averages more clearances per stoppage attended than anyone else in the team this year. If not he would have to be close!

Unpopular opinion, but I'm all for Jack coming back. With a team with this many youngsters, why would you not have a former captain to help organise the midfield where it's a clear area that Sydney have been getting smashed in this year. In a similar reason to why Grundy should be back in the team, it's legit a cluster**** watching the kids play in a game where the momentum is against them. No offence to Kennedy or Buddy, but they don't seem like the authoritative type (Kennedy's personality doesn't fit it and Buddy sooks more often than not which probs doesn't help on field atmosphere) so we desperately need on-field leaders despite Jack being 'cooked'.
Looking at his numbers he would be handy compared to a rookie without leadership getting him across the line. Goal assists and tackles are amongst our best which suits his role. A few weeks off is just what he needed

Check Heeney’s last quarter v North for game by scruff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah and people are forgetting Heeney is still young. It will take time, he's a good 3 years away from the finished product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back