Dustin Martin 2017 - Best Single Season For A Star Ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 3, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Leigh Matthews 28 touches, 4 goals per game. Buddy 2008 if talking the past 10 years, The year Huddo kicked 150. Hey, I'm more likely to remember Hawk players.

He's certainly cleaned the year up medal wise though! Ablett averaged 34 and 1.5 goals per game, and 32 and 2 goals per game.

So very impressive, statistically no. But a strong claim.
Different eras mean comparing stats is kinds useless.

Benji85

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I know he collected a ton of awards and was easily the best player this year but...was his season really THAT mind blowing? Or has his season been hyped for 22 rounds by the media train a little too much? Legit, just want to know everyone's thoughts

ize_

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
I know he collected a ton of awards and was easily the best player this year but...was his season really THAT mind blowing? Or has his season been hyped for 22 rounds by the media train a little too much? Legit, just want to know everyone's thoughts
Both. I don't think his year was necessarily better than Danger's 2016 but both were pretty great.

Vic pokiesmon

All Australian
Jul 16, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I'm pretty sure Leigh Matthews stated Dusty had just played the best individual season in history.Why- so people would compare this season to his own 1977season.Very similar stats and his were in a lower possession era.The exclamation point is Lethal also kicked 91goals in 24 games to Dustys 37 in 25 games.Too young to remember but that's an amazing season.Takes Dusty to the cleaners

cannot

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 30, 2016
^^ ""Flat World Champions".
AFL Club
Richmond
Players were frightened of tackling dusty cause they knew they would often get pushed away. They were possibility told of his stats where he had 3-4 times more 'tackles broken' than the #2nd place guy

pretty amazing to watch, he has reached a very high mark

Badesumofu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Roger Federer
Different eras mean comparing stats is kinds useless.

Probably makes comparing at all useless. Lethal was for all intents and purposes playing a different sport to the one Martin played in 2017.

As I said earlier, I'm happy to call it the best individual season this century (or millennium if you want to be grandiose) but even that is arguable.

EagleShore

Premiership Player
Feb 25, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm done with comparisons. Just enjoying the bloke for who he is and what he does. We're blessed to have him.
That you are. IMO he translates the work of his teammates into goals better than anyone else in the league and in that manner he was particularly important to Richmond in the way they played in 2017 - turning the chaotic ground ball into clean attack.

The sheer number of tackles broken is testament to this. Has that ever been matched?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 7, 2007
Ziggurat City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LUFC, Patriots
Players were frightened of tackling dusty cause they knew they would often get pushed away.
Except for one ;)

giphy.gif

But yeah, champion player and awesome season. Glad he stayed loyal to Richmond even though he could've earned a few bucks more somewhere else.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Never got the Leigh thing. No one was really raving about when he was playing.

You probably disappeared back in to the wood work in 70,71,75,76,77,78,79,81,83 & 84 and missed most of his career.

May 3, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Also had 32 and 2 goals v Hawks and didn't get a vote, same as danger v pies.
Probably cos Martin didn’t deserve any votes. Coaches had 3 other guys better than him on the day and the HS had him outside the best 3 on the ground also.

Danger got the perfect 10 votes from the coaches and was BOG in all the media reports.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

Polled a record 11 BOG's in the Brownlow. Previous best was 9.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back