Dustin Martin 2017 - Best Single Season For A Star Ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

It wouldn't even be the greatest season by a Richmond player.

Kevin Bartlett 1974: 647 disposals & 47 goals in 3 less matches.

Kevin Bartlett 1977: 665 disposals & 55 goals in 2 less matches.

Iwould be interested in Bartletts stats and goals for the 1980 season

All i know is he kicked 21 goals in 3 finals against Carlton Geel and Coll - 6 8 and 7 - when he was 34 and playing on a half forward flank

I think KBs 1980 season including the 3 finals would be as good if not better than Dustys

All i know is he kicked 21 goals in 3 finals against Carlton Geel and Coll - 6 8 and 7 - when he was 34 and playing on a half forward flank

I think KBs 1980 season including the 3 finals would be as good if not better than Dustys

474 disposals, 84 goals

I don't think you can really compare stats across such a large time frame. Even if you compare today's stats to 10 years ago, it's hard to gauge who was better from just the numbers. Martin was BOG in 11 home and away games and was in the top few players in 3 finals on the way to a premiership. It's certainly up there with the most dominant seasons ever and we can debate where it ranks.

Yeah it’s a bit inaccurate when comparing 1 stat from 1980 with 1 stat from 2017 as a measure of best player.

It must be relative to peers from that era.

If it’s not relative to your peers from your era, then all of today’s players are clearly better than everyone from past generations by a long way.

The way KB kicked all those goals, by today’s standards, required less fitness and less smarts than Sam Lloyd getting 50 touches and 4 goals at VFL level this year.

I mean no disrespect to past generations, but the footage is evidence enough. It’s an elite, full-time career now, which also means there’s full-time, highly paid athletes training 300 days a year and watching hours of footage with multiple coaches trying to defend against you.

It’s a million times harder now.

Back then, it was very common to kick bags of goals - everyone did it, all the time.

It wasn’t that special.

They had no pressure on them, no structure, no flooding, and even then half the players could barely kick and played on weekends for fun.

KB played predominately as a forward pocket in his last couple of years.

Martin would be incapable of achieving the same results if he played in the same position for the same amount of time.

Bartlett was a superstar for a decade, not a single season.

KB played predominately as a forward pocket in his last couple of years.

Martin would be incapable of achieving the same results if he played in the same position for the same amount of time.

Bartlett was a superstar for a decade, not a single season.

If Martin played 40 years ago he wouldn’t have had highly trained defenders and crazy fit clusters of opposition players to beat.

But anyone with half a brain would understand that.

If Martin played 40 years ago he wouldn’t have had highly trained defenders and crazy fit clusters of opposition players to beat.

But anyone with half a brain would understand that.

The arguments about fitness & tactics across generations is some of the most stupid crap that gets posted around here.

Martin would have been king hit and shirt fronted half a dozen times in 2017 if you want to go down that avenue.

The "don't argue" would become the "lights out Dusty"

The fact that the majority of these posts are responses to questions, should place me in a strong position to grab the bigfooty.com "most considerate poster of the year" award.

Last edited:
Yeah it’s a bit inaccurate when comparing 1 stat from 1980 with 1 stat from 2017 as a measure of best player.

It must be relative to peers from that era.

If it’s not relative to your peers from your era, then all of today’s players are clearly better than everyone from past generations by a long way.

The way KB kicked all those goals, by today’s standards, required less fitness and less smarts than Sam Lloyd getting 50 touches and 4 goals at VFL level this year.

I mean no disrespect to past generations, but the footage is evidence enough. It’s an elite, full-time career now, which also means there’s full-time, highly paid athletes training 300 days a year and watching hours of footage with multiple coaches trying to defend against you.

It’s a million times harder now.

Back then, it was very common to kick bags of goals - everyone did it, all the time.

It wasn’t that special.

They had no pressure on them, no structure, no flooding, and even then half the players could barely kick and played on weekends for fun.

Where all entitled to our opinion - but coming from a Richmond supporter that is a very ignorant post ( go and put your above post on the Tigers board - and you would be suspended for life )

Kevin Bartlett was a champion player - genuine superstar -an all time great and he would be in any era - lightning quick - and what he did in 1980 at 33 or 34 years of age was unbelievable

Where all entitled to our opinion - but coming from a Richmond supporter that is a very ignorant post ( go and put your above post on the Tigers board - and you would be suspended for life )

Kevin Bartlett was a champion player - genuine superstar -an all time great and he would be in any era - lightning quick - and what he did in 1980 at 33 or 34 years of age was unbelievable

Yeah no doubting he was a legend during his era, however I was refuting someone who compared their stats and said Bartlett was clearly better side by side.

Side by side, the stats can’t be compared, and the result would be Dusty by a mile... but that’s not fair.

Leigh Matthews shares my logic btw.

All I know is no player was more influential on the result of games this year than Dusty. He basically won the first two finals by imposing himself on the game when they were in the balance.

Whether any player ever has had a “greater” season is of course up for debate, but no player has had a more decorated season. He won every official award. That has never happened before and may never happen again.

What a star.

Dusty played 25 games for the season with 13 or 14 best on performances.

That would be pretty hard to beat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is true. Your side would not have even made the finals without him.

Yes we would.

and you can't prove otherwise

So don't try to act like its fact that we wouldn't have.

*edit, I also can't prove that we would have, but I think we are a good enough team to make finals without Dusty.. Footy is a team game.

Yes we would.

and you can't prove otherwise

So don't try to act like its fact that we wouldn't have.

*edit, I also can't prove that we would have, but I think we are a good enough team to make finals without Dusty.. Footy is a team game.

He polled 50% of your teams Brownlow votes by himself.

He polled 50% of your teams Brownlow votes by himself.

Because he has had a ripper year?

You are just looking for things to conform to your little narrative now.

Cotchin had a better year than his votes suggested as well

I don't think brownlow vote are the best indicater of whether or not we would make the finals without Dusty....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back