Dustin Martin and Dane Swan

If Dustin Martin was to retire tomorrow, who would've had the better career?

• Dane Swan

• Dustin Martin

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bald

Premium Gold
Apr 5, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Now that they're both Brownlow Medalists and both have a flag to their name, as it stands now, has Dustin Martin already had a better career than Dane Swan ever did?

Only asking to get some clarity, I feel Dane Swan was always a touch overrated.

Lot of similarities in terms of accolades.

Both Brownlow Medalists, Premiership Players, Coaches' award, MVP.

Dusty has a Norm Smith and probably (if he hasn't already) wins the Gary Ayres award (best finals player) but Swanny has 5(?) AA jumpers to Dusty's 2. Swan probably has the edge but Dusty still has 7 years to add to his haul of awards.

Either way, both great players and career's you'd be happy to hang your hat on.

Lot of similarities in terms of accolades.

Both Brownlow Medalists, Premiership Players, Coaches' award, MVP.

Dusty has a Norm Smith and probably (if he hasn't already) wins the Gary Ayres award (best finals player) but Swanny has 5(?) AA jumpers to Dusty's 2. Swan probably has the edge but Dusty still has 7 years to add to his haul of awards.

Either way, both great players and career's you'd be happy to hang your hat on.
If Dusty gets another 6 AA in a row and I'll back him in to do so barring injury I could see him nabbing another Brownlow. People still wouldn't rate him alongside Ablett yet on paper he undeniably would be as good if not better.

Is that the Swan who played ring a ring a rosy with Pendles padding his stats week after week
Stupid call, Swan was an absolute gun. An extremely hard runner and kicked goals. It's a shame his career ended with injury.

Swan has around 4 BaFs, and people forget in 2010 he was the shortest Brownlow favourite in history when Judd somehow beat him, severely underrated player IMO, just a power house gut runner, Dusty should have him covered with another few seasons though, and TBH Dusty's 2017 was better than any season Swan had.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Today, Swan is slightly ahead. When Martin retires, barring the unforeseen, then he will retire the better, more decorated player.

Would love to have seen them in the same side, up until this season I would have gone with Swannie but this year Dusty took his game to another level, Swannie made the point that the only thing he thinks Dusty has over him is leg speed which I think is about the only thing which separates them.

Would love to have seen them in the same side, up until this season I would have gone with Swannie but this year Dusty took his game to another level, Swannie made the point that the only thing he thinks Dusty has over him is leg speed which I think is about the only thing which separates them.
It was a possibility at the end of 2013 when Dusty was unsigned. Pies were keen.

Swan now - but Martin by the time he retires.

Swan would be be a guy you'd consider for top 10 in his generation but Martin will be a guy who could be top 3 if he can continue on from his 2017 form (or at least really close to that that level).

Pick 58.

That 2001 draft was handy wasn't it? Paul Medhurst went a few picks before Swanny and Adam Scneider a few picks after.

I don't care who was the better player, as long as those 2 galahs come home in one piece without any more ink or mohawks.

I reckon Swan was as quick if not quicker, not much in it either way though, both powerful athletes, it's disposal and poise that Martin has over Swan IMO.

If Dusty gets another 6 AA in a row and I'll back him in to do so barring injury I could see him nabbing another Brownlow. People still wouldn't rate him alongside Ablett yet on paper he undeniably would be as good if not better.

People never rate the incumbent at the same level as the nostalgic past player. It's why Lebron will never go above Jordan even if he matched his output.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back