Opinion Dustin Martin is better than Dangerfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Less goals
Less goal assists
And less score involvements
Less meters gained
What’s he better at exactly ? Stronger overhead mark , I’ll give him that

Fyfe, Dangerfield, James Hird.

All supremely talented footballers, who never learned how to kick properly.

If any one of those guys could kick like Martin, they'd be borderline GOAT.

Less goals
Less goal assists
And less score involvements
Less meters gained
What’s he better at exactly ? Stronger overhead mark , I’ll give him that

Strong overhead mark is the main attribute of King Carey. In 2011-2015 his marks would relieve massive pressure from long bomb hail mary kicks, drew defenders if he was in the forward line, he would take them on the last line of defence or deep. Fyfes hard ball gets in that period as well was better, even accounting for the classic 'dont argue'. Martins and Dangerfield are ahead of him for mine, but until they are all around 31 I see them swapping #1. They're like 3 mario kart races swapping positions as they lap around the course

Strong overhead mark is the main attribute of King Carey. In 2011-2015 his marks would relieve massive pressure from long bomb hail mary kicks, drew defenders if he was in the forward line, he would take them on the last line of defence or deep. Fyfes hard ball gets in that period as well was better, even accounting for the classic 'dont argue'. Martins and Dangerfield are ahead of him for mine, but until they are all around 31 I see them swapping #1. They're like 3 mario kart races swapping positions as they lap around the course
Yeah perhaps that is true They have their patches , dusty was so so for 6-8w until r16 then went banggggg

Yes, Martin is better BECAUSE HE CAN HIT A TARGET. Danger and Martin match up well in most other facets of the game but I swear that if I ever see Dangerfield shank another kick or just hoof it forward in blind hope, I'm going to lose it.

I remarked in an earlier thread about a year ago that if he could improve his kicking Danger would eventually rightly be regarded as one of the all-time greats of the game - sadly for we Geelong supporters, I think that horse has bolted.

Yeah, he won a Brownlow and that does count for something. Obviously he is a very good player, but his kicking drives me spare and has since he first came to the club :sick:

Last edited:
Ok this is simple

If Dangerfield was playing for Richmond ....swap them Dangerfield would be equal

If MARTIN was placed in Geelong now he would be very good also

Swings and roundabouts

It’s a team game ....Gary Ablett wasn’t able to get Gold Coast to win

It’s a team game

In other words you're saying they are equally talented.

I don't know about the Ablett comparison, went to GC in 2011 and was AA team captain, was also AA in 2012, 2013 & 2014. The measure of performance is not how successful their clubs are.

I don't know about the Ablett comparison, went to GC in 2011 and was AA team captain, was also AA in 2012, 2013 & 2014. The measure of performance is not how successful their clubs are.

Exactly right. Ablett was amazing at GC given the team he had around him. It enhanced his reputation, given he went from being the best in the league with guns all around him, to still being the best in the league with no one around him.

Nah
A star player with talented players around him will perform better with guns around him...

Richmonds structure means dusty can free wheel more ....

Dangerfield can also but not to same degree

People overrating Martin based on one stellar season last year but this year just hasn't been near that level. Danger hasn't been great either but did it for longer before then. I'd say Martin's best is better, but I'd take prime Danger for consistency.

People overrating Martin based on one stellar season last year but this year just hasn't been near that level. Danger hasn't been great either but did it for longer before then. I'd say Martin's best is better, but I'd take prime Danger for consistency.
You clearly have no idea if you think its based on just 1 year , I suggest you have a look at Dusty's career statts the man has been dominating since his 1st game and has already played 200 games. Even his 1st year he was a bull that didnt get beaten

Martin was 7th in the Brownlow in 2015, 3rd in 2016 and is 3rd favourite again this year. Even prior to that, he was top 20 three times and was winning games off his own boot. It takes a special kind of delusion or ignorance to dismiss him as a flash in the pan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dangerfield will be remembered as the greatest player of all time.

Martin will be forgotten within 10 years of his retirement.
hyperbole
/hʌɪˈpəːbəli/
noun
noun: hyperbole; plural noun: hyperboles
  1. exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.
    "he vowed revenge with oaths and hyperboles"
    synonyms:exaggeration, overstatement, magnification, amplification, embroidery, embellishment, overplaying, excess, overkill; More

antonyms:understatement

hyperbole
/hʌɪˈpəːbəli/
noun
noun: hyperbole; plural noun: hyperboles
  1. exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.
    "he vowed revenge with oaths and hyperboles"
    synonyms:exaggeration, overstatement, magnification, amplification, embroidery, embellishment, overplaying, excess, overkill; More

antonyms:understatement

Dangerfield is underrated if anything because he doesn't and has never played for a big Melbourne club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back