Opinion Dustin Martin is better than Dangerfield

Remove this Banner Ad

No player in the past 30 years has as much ‘class’ as dusty. Never seems rushed. Unbelievable decision maker. Danger is manic for the footy and perhaps that is why he often seems rushed. Like Judd and Fyfe, Danger’s kicking is hit and miss. Going back in time that is why Matthews is the greatest ever, as manic at the footy as Danger, skills/decision making/contested marking as good as Dusty/Danger, goal sense better than any small forward ever, and he did it all twice as often as anyone else in history. All whilst knocking blokes out (usually within the rules at the time) each week. Unbelievable.
Well this is the thing, how do you rate a player. By how often they get it or what they do with it. Like you I agree that the effect is more important than anything. Hence why Pendelbury, Sam Mitchell types are elevated so highly. They are/were nowhere near as dominant ball getters as Dangerfield or Fyfe, but far more effective users of the ball. So what is worth more, the dominance of Danger and Fyfe's ability to get the ball, or slightly less dominant ball getting ability of Martin, but quite a bit higher usage of the ball, or 'class' as you put it.
Matthews was dominant at everything and stands alone pretty much as a player.

Not disputing GablettJ's greatness, but he was a textbook player... just good at everything, accumulation, clean disposal, goal kicker, great vision etc... but he just didn't have the X-factor, the ability to do the incredible, the breath-taking, the extraordinary.

Harsh?
Yes. if your definition of X-factor (the ability to do the incredible, the breath-taking, the extraordinary) is the measuring stick GAJ did it all. He was and still is exciting to watch, and his ability to fend off, remain grounded and find the sticks....well you be the judge

Not disputing GablettJ's greatness, but he was a textbook player... just good at everything, accumulation, clean disposal, goal kicker, great vision etc... but he just didn't have the X-factor, the ability to do the incredible, the breath-taking, the extraordinary.

Harsh?

What the 'x-factor' really means in the AFL is having the ability to do really amazing things but not doing them very often. Jake Stringer has X-Factor because he has the ability to do sensational things, same as Chad Wingard, Steve Johnson had it as well. They weren't consistently amazing every single week but when they were on they were world beaters.

GAJ when he was at his peak (I say was because I don't think he HAS the ability to play at such a high level anymore) he was as good as those players I mentioned before but he did it on a weekly basis.

Martin is already grossly overrated as it is, and now we have people comparing him to Wayne Carey? Lulz

I agree he is that overrated I suggest next time West Coast play Richmond you guys put your worst player on him, that's how crap he is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol what? 2016 sure, but are you aware Dusty had the greatest individual season on record in 2017?

Based on accolades maybe, but the stats would beg to differ....

stats.jpg

Dusty has Dangersuit covered imo. However, career wise, GAJ is well ahead of Dusty as it stands - however, Dusty has at least another 4-5 seasons in him and if all things go well, is more than capable of mowing that little sniping bald prick down.

Until then, he's behind GAJ, but well ahead of Danger.

Yes. if your definition of X-factor (the ability to do the incredible, the breath-taking, the extraordinary) is the measuring stick GAJ did it all. He was and still is exciting to watch, and his ability to fend off, remain grounded and find the sticks....well you be the judge

GAJ probably has the best lateral movement of any player I've seen, added to being elite in pretty much every aspect you could ask of a midfielder. Absolute champion player, I think people get caught up in his 2019 form and forget just how good (and reliable) he was at his best, and how long that was for.

I doubt Dusty or Dangerfield are playing at 35.

Dusty has Dangersuit covered imo. However, career wise, GAJ is well ahead of Dusty as it stands - however, Dusty has at least another 4-5 seasons in him and if all things go well, is more than capable of mowing that little sniping bald prick down.

Until then, he's behind GAJ, but well ahead of Danger.

Dusty has only been amongst the best mids for the past 3 seasons. Didn't make the AA team before 2016 meaning (4 + other equivalent players pushed him out all those other years)

He was also consistently rated around 11th in the AFL player ratings. Players rated Joel Selwood consistently top 5 for almost a decade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back