Opinion Dustin Martin is better than Dangerfield

Remove this Banner Ad

This would have to win worst post of the year. Rofl!! Jason tourney ??? Your probs just baiting here, and I’ve taken a bite so fair play.
so in your humble opinion what does dusty have to do for the rest of his career to be considered a great of the game and rfc, also not to be called overrated??
2x premierships
2x norm smiths
1 x brownlow
Can’t be bothered naming the rest. But as it stands, they are his achievements.

Out of curiosity.
Say you have Matty Richardson who was born 19/3/89 instead of 1975 and he is playing for Richmond as we speak.
That current side and the way the game is officiated, do you still believe Martin is your best player?

Richardson is still the better footballer despite Martin's recent achievements but he's certainly closing the gap.

As for Geelong supporters rating Dangerfield ahead of Martin, don't bother with those types. They are the same morons who have defended Chris Scott for all these years and once he calls it quits, will they turn on him.

He has to do what he did in 2017 for a couple more seasons.

He can't do anything to not be overrated since that's out of Martin's hands; it's the commentator's fault for blowing their load every time he touches the ball and saying s**t like "OMG Martin's been huge this quarter!" after he gets 2 possessions.

Cmon mate it’s the same when danger, de goey, fyfe, buddy, penddles, nic nat, all get the ball. So by your theory all the above mentioned are overrated.

There hasn’t been a player in the history of the game Have a season like dusty did in 17. So to see that again is unlikely. Once again great players from the past are like mythical creatures that no one can get near or surpass. I think only when dusty retires will we look back and say gee that boy could play. Glad his a Tiger 👌🏼

Out of curiosity.
Say you have Matty Richardson who was born 19/3/89 instead of 1975 and he is playing for Richmond as we speak.
That current side and the way the game is officiated, do you still believe Martin is your best player?

Richardson is still the better footballer despite Martin's recent achievements but he's certainly closing the gap.

As for Geelong supporters rating Dangerfield ahead of Martin, don't bother with those types. They are the same morons who have defended Chris Scott for all these years and once he calls it quits, will they turn on him.

I love Richo as much as the next Richmond supporter. But they are different players to be fair and it’s hard to judge. I still think dusty is a better footballer, that’s my opinion. He does things on a football field that I’ve never seen before.

I think danger is a freak, just like buddy and fyfe. You go to the footy to watch these guys. But dusty has stepped up in some big moments and won some flags and obviously norms smiths which will edge him infront of some of those guys.

I love Richo as much as the next Richmond supporter. But they are different players to be fair and it’s hard to judge. I still think dusty is a better footballer, that’s my opinion. He does things on a football field that I’ve never seen before.

I think danger is a freak, just like buddy and fyfe. You go to the footy to watch these guys. But dusty has stepped up in some big moments and won some flags and obviously norms smiths which will edge him infront of some of those guys.

Judging by flags and Norm Smiths can be a hazardous exercise. Nat Fyfe for example has only had one opportunity to get on the board in terms of those accolades. Flags are team efforts and countless flag teams have carried some very average players to premiership success.

Judging by flags and Norm Smiths can be a hazardous exercise. Nat Fyfe for example has only had one opportunity to get on the board in terms of those accolades. Flags are team efforts and countless flag teams have carried some very average players to premiership success.

I totally agree with you. But when your judged best on ground on footys biggest day it has to count for something. Average players don’t really win norm smiths.

I totally agree with you. But when your judged best on ground on footys biggest day it has to count for something. Average players don’t really win norm smiths.

Of course it counts, was just saying that some players won't have the opportunities that Martin did to win flags and medals and it should not be counted against them. Richo for example never had the chance to play in a flag side or win a Norm Smith, through no fault of his own, but he should still be considered one of the best forwards in recent times.

Of course it counts, was just saying that some players won't have the opportunities that Martin did to win flags and medals and it should not be counted against them. Richo for example never had the chance to play in a flag side or win a Norm Smith, through no fault of his own, but he should still be considered one of the best forwards in recent times.
Funny how Richmond supporters made that argument for years while opposition fans dismissed it and now the roles are reversed.

Out of curiosity.

I have thought about this many times and wondered how good would Richo be in this current Richmond environment, without the frustration and setbacks of the Richmond of his time.
Yes he had his demons but he also carried much of the side on his shoulders
he kicked 800 goals, how many would he have kicked in a great team?
probably closer to 1000 Now imagine that.......

P.s on Richo, Explosive freak of a footballer and loved by nearly all, there was a time in his carrier when some Richmond supporters wanted him gone. goes to show how tainted some of us were at the time.

Now this sums up Dusty....

There was a moment in yesterday prac match with GWS where Dusty zigzagged (in traffic) through about six players and gave a handball (Edit ithe handball was to Edwards) who gave to a running Sydney Stack who set up a goal.

most mids would take the easy way out and give an easy handball, probably hoping their team mate might find space and get it out of the congestion.
they would get the same stat as Dusty for the one handball but in game impact there is a huge difference.

Martins just special, he gets accolades because he does the hard things that many won’t take on and does the easy sharing things too.

Last edited:
Funny how Richmond supporters made that argument for years while opposition fans dismissed it and now the roles are reversed.

There's been plenty of threads where people claim Jack has overtaken Nick Riewoldt because he has two flags.

There's been plenty of threads where people claim Jack has overtaken Nick Riewoldt because he has two flags.

Flags no.

Colemans on the other hand...

Flags no.

Colemans on the other hand...

Nick played further from goal than Jack. Coleman is purely a measure of goals kicked only. Wayne Carey never won one. Scott Cummings won one while Peter Sumich didn't, but you'd be hard pressed to find an Eagles fan that would prefer the former over the latter. I could go on...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FWIW - Richo is one of the most gifted footballers i have ever seen period.

But to the original topic.

Both players do things very well.
They both find the ball at an elite level
They both are contested animals
They will both be still moving at the 30th min of the 4th quarter

But there is one thing that separates them and why dusty will always be superior.
Basic foot skills.
You can trust dusty shooting for goal delivering it lace out for his forwards the same cannot be said for Dangerfield

I'd rank him higher regardless.
It's an interesting argument. Nick has it over him in one main area, running ability. Nick Riewoldt was so good because he got to so many contests and he busted a gut every week. There were more talented forwards over his time, but possibly non more effective. Jack has it over him for kicking, marking and footy skills and smarts, but doesn't drag his side over the line as often as Nick did. As a pure footballer you'd say Jack, as a great footballer perhaps Nick....
I digress.

It's an interesting argument. Nick has it over him in one main area, running ability. Nick Riewoldt was so good because he got to so many contests and he busted a gut every week. There were more talented forwards over his time, but possibly non more effective. Jack has it over him for kicking, marking and footy skills and smarts, but doesn't drag his side over the line as often as Nick did. As a pure footballer you'd say Jack, as a great footballer perhaps Nick....
I digress.
Yeah, I love Jack as much as the next Tiger supporter, but Nick's got him covered in most areas of forward play I would've thought, apart from durability, disposal and instinctive creativity.

Yeah, I love Jack as much as the next Tiger supporter, but Nick's got him covered in most areas of forward play I would've thought, apart from durability, disposal and instinctive creativity.
I would've thought Jack has him in terms of being a slightly more damaging forward in the f50 arc, however Nick's higher goal kicking efficiency, ability to gather disposals, link up, etc would have him just a bit ahead of Jack

Martin is bloody good, but has some ways to go to match Bartlett and Hart as the best we have had, and Bartlett is miles in front at this point in time. He will be one of our greats, the Big Footy officianados discount Bartlett , but he and Matthews were the best I have seen

Yes and no. Disposal and creativity are fairly important factors in forward play. Jack is a better mark. One on one mark, hangers and pack marks. Nick many more lead up marks. But as I said, Nick was the ultimate all round player and great captain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back