Opinion Dustin Martin is better than Dangerfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Players who do it easy are always the ones who are most impressive.

Dustin does it easy. Dangerfield has to force it.

Problem was he wasn't but certainly MOST POPULAR...and a good story.
Was the most influential player in the team who dominated in each of its finals games.
Who was better?

QF - 28 disposals, 7 tackles, 4 goal assists (clear BOG), 158 SC
PF - 20 disposals, 3 goals, 2 goal assists (in the top 3), 118 SC
GF - 29 disposals (22 contested - 1 off the record in a GF), 2 goals, 2 goal assists, 150 SC (Norm Smith)

Id say he was easily the best of the finals, with Cotchin not far behind

:)
The reality is Prestia rated higher than Martin in two of the games had more possies as well. Cotchin played one very good game but had no influence in the GF. Martin had a good final series but did not dominate. Not trying to denigrate Martin in any way shape or form. Like others you get sick of the bias towards one player. Saw it with James Hird in 2000. and we will see it again with someone else this year it is DM. A TEAM wins a final series and a GF not one player.

Was the most influential player in the team who dominated in each of its finals games.
Who was better?
Your opinion others were just as influential. If you want him to be your Hero so be it. I don't have a problem with it. TEAMS win football matches not one player and I just don't happen to think DM dominated in any of the finals the stats/ratings support this. Did he have a good finals series ...yes he did!

I think with Fyfe being off his game with injury and rehab and freo falling down the ladder for the last 2 seasons people are forgetting what he brings to the table.

He is well and truly in the mix for best in the league.
Yeah absolutely, You could see if in flashes at the end of the year, just winning these absolute 2v1 contests, taking some monster contested marks,

Even his body of work start of the year blocking and only getting back into it playing a different type of game he looks like he's a 16 year old playing in an under 14's comp jue to his strength.

The reality is Prestia rated higher than Martin in two of the games had more possies as well. Cotchin played one very good game but had no influence in the GF. Martin had a good final series but did not dominate. Not trying to denigrate Martin in any way shape or form. Like others you get sick of the bias towards one player. Saw it with James Hird in 2000. and we will see it again with someone else this year it is DM. A TEAM wins a final series and a GF not one player.

Dustin Martin is not only the best player in the AFL right now, but is the best player of the 21 st Century.

Martin, along with Gary Ablett Senior is the best player I have ever, he is better than Gary Ablett Senior however because he is the ultimate team man.

What a great time to be alive and be a tiger supporter.

Your opinion others were just as influential. If you want him to be your Hero so be it. I don't have a problem with it. TEAMS win football matches not one player and I just don't happen to think DM dominated in any of the finals the stats/ratings support this. Did he have a good finals series ...yes he did!
Except contested disposals and clearances, which incidently was the one area the crows got smashed in. Which Dustin led in both

Depends on how you judge...

Martin's season was better than Dangerfield's due to his finals presence. I don't think there's much of a case to separate them in the H&A season.

Martin needs to continue to be in the top 3 or so for a few more years to be in Dangerfield's class as a whole IMO.

Depends on how you judge...

Martin's season was better than Dangerfield's due to his finals presence. I don't think there's much of a case to separate them in the H&A season.

Martin needs to continue to be in the top 3 or so for a few more years to be in Dangerfield's class as a whole IMO.

Lol.

Danger is still a great player., but Martin has gone past him comfortably.

Absolutely nothing left for Martin to prove, he's better than Dangerfield on every meaningful measure possible.

Lol.

Danger is still a great player., but Martin has gone past him comfortably.

Absolutely nothing left for Martin to prove, he's better than Dangerfield on every meaningful measure possible.

That's your opinion, that's OK. I disagree.

I'd like to see something statistical to prove your point that there is simply no comparison. It's cool to be one-eyed and all that, but any reasonable person would deem this ridiculous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to see something statistical to prove your point that there is simply no comparison. It's cool to be one-eyed and all that, but any reasonable person would deem this ridiculous.

Well, Martin had 11 of 22 bogs this year, more than Dangerfield ever had.

Martin won the Gary Ayers medal (best player in the finals series), Dangerfield didn't.

Martin had 36 Brownlow votes in one year, more than Dangerfield ever had.

Martin won a Norm Smith, more than Dangerfield.

Martin won a premiership, more than Dangerfield.

Martin is silkier with the ball and shares it with teammates more than Dangerfield, and he broke 90+ tackles this year compared to Danger's 23.

And finally, the most credible judge of all, the GOAT mid Leigh Matthews, called Dusty's season the GOAT season; he didn't say that about Dangerfield.

The only bias in here is by Geelong supporters who refuse to acknowledge that there's a new #1 player in town.

Martin won the Gary Ayers medal (best player in the finals series), Dangerfield didn't.

Martin is silkier with the ball and shares it with teammates more than Dangerfield, and he broke 90+ tackles this year compared to Danger's 23.

And finally, the most credible judge of all, the GOAT mid Leigh Matthews, called Dusty's season the GOAT season; he didn't say that about Dangerfield.

I said that Martin had a better season than Dangerfield, most will agree.

You've posted some good points there, none would conclude to any reasonable person that Martin is clearly above Dangerfield in every respect though. You could make similar cases going the other way.

The only bias in here is by Geelong supporters who refuse to acknowledge that there's a new #1 player in town.

Your point here suggests that you're trolling, sorry. If you think Martin is superior in every measurable respect, you're looking just as foolish.

Dustin Martin is not only the best player in the AFL right now, but is the best player of the 21 st Century.

Martin, along with Gary Ablett Senior is the best player I have ever, he is better than Gary Ablett Senior however because he is the ultimate team man.

What a great time to be alive and be a tiger supporter.
Nice wind up but I won't be getting sucked in by that little piece of BS. I tell you what though he has entered the top 100 of the 21st Century.
To your last point I will add that I was a Tiger supporter in the late 60's early 70's now THAT was a great time to be a Tiger supporter. lol.
Bourke Barrott Clay...Hart Dean Northey...........Bartlett

Last edited:
I think Martin was just behind Dangerfield this year. But I think Martin has improvement in him - which is scary. Next year I would expect Martin to be the standout player in the comp. I actually think his Dangers (pardon the pun) come from the younger brigade (Kelly, Oliver).

What? Why wasn't he? Who should have won it?
Why argue about it. He is YOUR hero. It could have gone to a number of players. What about one of your backline players that were superb throughout the finals ....eg Rance. But of course as stated by many forum contributors it is a midfield dominated comp and the biases go towards those players. Is it Right is it Wrong or maybe it just IS.

Why argue about it. He is YOUR hero. It could have gone to a number of players. What about one of your backline players that were superb throughout the finals ....eg Rance. But of course as stated by many forum contributors it is a midfield dominated comp and the biases go towards those players. Is it Right is it Wrong or maybe it just IS.

You have your opinion but I prefer to listen to the actual coaches who give the votes. And they rated Dusty the best.
At the end of the day you're just salty the majority of football lovers and experts rate Dusty higher than Danger.

I think it's fair to admit Martin right now is the best player going around, obviously that can change.

There's not much between them, my observations and opinions would be:

- Dangerfield has better acceleration (not that Martin is anything close to slow).
- Dangerfield is a stronger mark.
- Dangerfield's ability to spring to his feet and immediately accelerate is ridiculous.
- Dangerfield is more of a threat up forward (again, not that Martin is a slouch there).
- Martin is a better kick.
- Martin is more team-orientated.
- Martin's balance and strength through the hips is off the charts for his size.
- Martin does seem to be able to bring teammates into the game at critical times.

Very little between, but as of right now, Martin. Just.

statistics.

1 premiership + 1 north smith medal.

That is the only statistic you need.

855773862.jpg

Don’t start doing this. As Richmond supporters we’ve had to put up with this for years and it’s not a fair comparison. Not the individual’s fault he’s never been in a flag.

I've learned something this year - it is.

Premiership players have those intangible qualities that great individual players often lack. Brett Deledio for example, great player, but part of the problem in the grand scheme of things.

Premierships require a special mix of players getting the best out of each other in intangible ways - this counts.

Plus, you know, it works in our favour now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back