Opinion Dustin Martin is better than Dangerfield

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the best post in this read ( and i cant be bothered finding it - seeing there is 128 pages - lol ) - and it wasnt a biased Rich or Geel supporter - it was a neutral

And the poster said they would pick Martin - if it was for a top side - so eg Richmond who are in Premiership mode - you would pick Martin - he is an elite kick - super dangerous around the goals - and so strong - built like a rugby league player - Laurie Daley mark 2 actually - and even got his fend off

However in a poor team they said they would pick Dangerfield - and i agree with that - so if you are picking someone for the Suns - i would pick Danger over Dusty - - Danger with that explosive pace - he would be doing alot of the heavy grunt work - even if at times if he hacks the ball forward - hes moving the ball your way - i think he would be more use to you in a poor team than Martin would be

So you are saying North Melbourne tried to recruit the wrong one?

Comparing Danger's B&F 1st to Dusty's B&F 6th is pointless.
Dont forget Danger finished the Brownlow only 4 votes ahead of Dusty
The Brownlow is really just a measure of player's standout BOG performances. Umpires, fans and media favour the flashy types. For Richmond, that's Dusty and Bachar.

Best and Fairest awards are a more accurate measure of a player's season because all the players are graded for every game they play. Not just the 1 or 2 best players. The Richmond coaches award every player between zero and five votes after every game, including finals. Every Geelong player receives a score out of 15 after each game. So good games are counted, average games are counted and bad games are counted.

You hit the nail on the head about roles - the coaches know the role they've asked of each player. Those who don't perform their role get marked down. Umpires and fans aren't always privy to this. They mostly judge players by the stats. They mainly focus on the stars like Dusty and Danger. The coaches have a much better idea about the value of each player's contribution. The coaches and assistant coaches are the only true experts. Light years ahead of everyone else.

e.g. I ignore Shane Edwards getting zero Brownlow votes and Grimes getting only 3.. Pfft.. Whatever...
Hardwick and co voted them as Richmond's 2nd and 3rd best for 2019 which i think is a far more accurate assessment of their seasons.

Rich: 1) Prestia, 2) Edwards, 3) Grimes, 4) Vlastuin, 5) Lynch, 6) Martin, 7) Lambert, 8) Houli, 9) Astbury
Geel: 1) Dangerfield, 2) Kelly, 3) Stewart, 4) Hawkins, 5) Blicavs, 6) Dahlhaus, 7) Ablett, 8) Duncan, 9) Selwood

------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's not forget: Dangerfield finished 2nd in the AFLCA Coaches award with 90 votes. He polled votes in 14 of 21 games.
Martin finished 11th with 71 votes. He polled votes in 11 of 20 games.

Even if we include the votes from finals matches for the Gary Ayres award, Danger still finished ahead of Dusty.
Dangerfield: 97 votes (polled in 15 of 24 games); Martin: 90 votes (polled in 13 of 23 games)

Dusty ended the year on a high with the ultimate team success. He grabbed all the September glory, but he didn't clearly have the better individual season. Pretty close, I reckon. Danger just in front if we take all games into account.

Last edited:

The Brownlow is really just a measure of player's standout BOG performances. Umpires, fans and media favour the flashy types. For Richmond, that's Dusty and Bachar.

Best and Fairest awards are a more accurate measure of a player's season because all the players are graded for every game they play. Not just the 1 or 2 best players. The Richmond coaches award every player between zero and five votes after every game, including finals. Every Geelong player receives a score out of 15 after each game. So good games are counted, average games are counted and bad games are counted.

You hit the nail on the head about roles - the coaches know the role they've asked of each player. Those who don't perform their role get marked down. Umpires and fans aren't always privy to this. They mostly judge players by the stats. They mainly focus on the stars like Dusty and Danger. The coaches have a much better idea about the value of each player's contribution. The coaches and assistant coaches are the only true experts. Light years ahead of everyone else.

e.g. I ignore Shane Edwards getting zero Brownlow votes and Grimes getting only 3.. Pfft.. Whatever...
Hardwick and co voted them as Richmond's 2nd and 3rd best for 2019 which i think is a far more accurate assessment of their seasons.

Rich: 1) Prestia, 2) Edwards, 3) Grimes, 4) Vlastuin, 5) Lynch, 6) Martin, 7) Lambert, 8) Houli, 9) Astbury
Geel: 1) Dangerfield, 2) Kelly, 3) Stewart, 4) Hawkins, 5) Blicavs, 6) Dahlhaus, 7) Ablett, 8) Duncan, 9) Selwood

------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's not forget: Dangerfield finished 2nd in the AFLCA Coaches award with 90 votes. He polled votes in 14 of 21 games.
Martin finished 11th with 71 votes. He polled votes in 11 of 20 games.

Even if we include the votes from finals matches for the Gary Ayres award, Danger still finished ahead of Dusty.
Dangerfield: 97 votes (polled in 15 of 24 games); Martin: 90 votes (polled in 13 of 23 games)

Dusty ended the year on a high with the ultimate team success. He grabbed all the September glory, but he didn't clearly have the better individual season. Pretty close, I reckon. Danger just in front if we take all games into account.
Dusty was “out of form” for whatever reason early this season. In 2017 he won everything. In 2019 he won the coaches’ award for best player in the finals series (note that he played the same number of finals games as Dangerfield).
Also, you do not know what criteria the coaches are judging the players. Perhaps they wanted Dusty to do more two-way running and were judging him on that.
my earlier post still stands: Danger is a great footballer, but Martin is a once-in-a-generation player who is unlike any other.

Dusty was “out of form” for whatever reason early this season. In 2017 he won everything. In 2019 he won the coaches’ award for best player in the finals series (note that he played the same number of finals games as Dangerfield).
Also, you do not know what criteria the coaches are judging the players. Perhaps they wanted Dusty to do more two-way running and were judging him on that.
my earlier post still stands: Danger is a great footballer, but Martin is a once-in-a-generation player who is unlike any other.
" Martin is a once-in-a-generation player who is unlike any other. " LOLOLOOLOLO HAHHA That comment is a joke.

" Martin is a once-in-a-generation player who is unlike any other. " LOLOLOOLOLO HAHHA That comment is a joke.

My favorite memory about this generation of players, was when Dusty put Danger on his arse at half time in the prelim.

That's when Dangerfield's season ended. The rest of Geelong played for 2 more quarters.

So yes, they are both once in a generation players.

Funnily enough, Danger despite his putrid second half in the PF outperformed Dustin in most key areas over the course of the whole game. CD rated his game slightly better.

+10 contested possesions
+5 possessions
+3.1% disposal efficiency
+4 tackles
+5 clearances

Dusty had 150 more meters gained, 6 more score involvements and 1 more goal

Funnily enough, Danger despite his putrid second half in the PF outperformed Dustin in most key areas over the course of the whole game. CD rated his game slightly better.

+10 contested possesions
+5 possessions
+4 tackles
+5 clearances

What was Dangers excuse? below average teammates?

wasnt that why he left his former club?

+10 contested possesions
+5 possessions
+4 tackles
+5 clearances

Mental performance is a multiplier. Not sure how CD can capture that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

+10 contested possesions
+5 possessions
+4 tackles
+5 clearances

6 more score involvements and a goal.
What was the final margin again?

+10 contested possesions
+5 possessions
+4 tackles
+5 clearances

I think this is the point.

This is done and dusted, Dustin Martin is way better

Next thread

Will Tim kelly be as good as Dustin Martin? Or will _______ be as good as Dustin Martin?

+10 contested possesions
+5 possessions
+4 tackles
+5 clearances

Dusty had 150 more meters gained, 6 more score involvements, 1 more goal and the win.

EFA

"Martin is a once-in-a-generation player who is unlike any other" yet you can only name one season where he comfortably was better than the rest?

"Martin is a once-in-a-generation player who is unlike any other" yet you can only name one season where he comfortably was better than the rest?
He's been the best for the last 3 years, apart from a form slump early this year which still had him in the top echelon.

If you understand football, you’ll see nuances in Martin’s game that put him ahead of Dangerfield.

He is next-to impossible to tackle, he reads the ball unbelievably well both in the air and off hands, and his disposal is brilliant. He knows when to go and when to hang back, instinctively. And despite his rough exterior he is one of the most refined, nuanced, beautifully balanced and uncannily skilled players of all time.

Dangerfield is a bull at a gate. A very good one, but nowhere as gifted as Martin in the actual art of the game.

+10 contested possesions
+5 possessions
+4 tackles
+5 clearances

CD rankings are useless when comparing players. Perfect example was the 2017 GF.
Betts 48 ranking points, Grimes 24 ranking points.
The Hun and Age voting, Betts 3 and 4, Grimes both 8.

The irony of your comment is that in 2017 he achieved what no other player in the history of the game has, so he's achieved something well beyond a once in a generation record, he has an all time record.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back