Opinion Dustin Martin is better than Dangerfield

Remove this Banner Ad

He's been the best for the last 3 years, apart from a form slump early this year which still had him in the top echelon.
The irony of your comment is that in 2017 he achieved what no other player in the history of the game has, so he's achieved something well beyond a once in a generation record, he has an all time record.
The irony of your comment is that in 2017 he achieved what no other player in the history of the game has, so he's achieved something well beyond a once in a generation record, he has an all time record.
I think you need to learn what irony is ..nevertheless I agree he had a very good 2017. To say no player in history had as good a year is complete BS. And don't give me the downlow medal Norm smith BS. Two awards that in the scheme of a Team game mean Nada. When and who takes the downlow medal awarded by the umpires seriously..come on that's just funny. Football people like Kevin Sheedy and many others have laughed at this award for eons. Many players have had as good a year as Martin in 2017 and your assertion that is an all time record is rubbish. Many players have had better years...Jezza..Matthews ...GAblett..Pratt..Coleman..John Greening ...Kevin Bartlett...Francis Bourke..Royce Hart...Richo....Rod Ashman...Peter Busustow ... Doug Wade..Tony Lockett..Wayne Carey...James Hird...Peter McKenna...Peter Hudson...James Bartel...Matt Scarlett...John Scarlett.....hundreds....How long you been watching football about 5 Years I would say. Tool

I think you need to learn what irony is ..nevertheless I agree he had a very good 2017. To say no player in history had as good a year is complete BS. And don't give me the downlow medal Norm smith BS. Two awards that in the scheme of a Team game mean Nada. When and who takes the downlow medal awarded by the umpires seriously..come on that's just funny. Football people like Kevin Sheedy and many others have laughed at this award for eons. Many players have had as good a year as Martin in 2017 and your assertion that is an all time record is rubbish. Many players have had better years...Jezza..Matthews ...GAblett..Pratt..Coleman..John Greening ...Kevin Bartlett...Francis Bourke..Royce Hart...Richo....Rod Ashman...Peter Busustow ... Doug Wade..Tony Lockett..Wayne Carey...James Hird...Peter McKenna...Peter Hudson...James Bartel...Matt Scarlett...John Scarlett.....hundreds....How long you been watching football about 5 Years I would say. Tool
It was pretty simple factual statement, he achieved something no else has in history, but gee it drew a lot of dribble from you.

Have you a link to this. Curious to read it.

He won everything in 2017.

Brownlow Medal.
Norm Smith Medal.
Gary Ayres Medal.
Best and Fairest.
AFLCA Award.
Players MVP.
Swept the media awards.

Never been done before. Performed throughout the season and in the biggest matches at the end of the season.

Maybe I am missing something here. But are you being serious?

Yeah. He's been good in recent years but I've read names like LeChoke, LeNeedsMoreHelp, Le3-6 far too many times. He's on 3/9 finals series and choked it up big time in 2011. Got swept in 2007 and 2018. His finals record has been scrutinised a lot over the years, often unfairly. He's not the first basketball player that comes to mind when it comes to stepping up in finals.

I love the guy, but Richo never had a season anywhere near as good as Dusty in 2017. I won't even call out a few of the other ridiculous suggestions on that list. "Hundreds" have had better years you say? lmao

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He won everything in 2017.

Brownlow Medal.
Norm Smith Medal.
Gary Ayres Medal.
Best and Fairest.
AFLCA Award.
Players MVP.
Swept the media awards.

Never been done before. Performed throughout the season and in the biggest matches at the end of the season.
He also smashed the broken tackle (dont argue count) by a massive margin since CH Data has been keeping records.
And broke the Grand Final record this year with 7 broken tackles.

This is 2017 (records haven't changed) check the difference between one and two.

20191009_224011.jpg

I love the guy, but Richo never had a season anywhere near as good as Dusty in 2017. I won't even call out a few of the other ridiculous suggestions on that list. "Hundreds" have had better years you say? lmao
Are you really a Richmond fan...your a late on the bandwagon supporter is obvious. ROFL
Richo wouldn’t even put himself in Dusty’s class. Just an uninformed statement.

Francis Bourke is a Richmond legend but he NEVER got close to a Dusty like season.

Where DAlembert really makes a fool
of himself though is in thinking that one of Busustow’s three season in the VFL was superior to Dusty’s 2017. Must’ve been the season where he won goal and mark of the year.

I get that Martin's 2017 brownlow year wasn't historically great or even unprecedented. But Matthew Richardson is literally the player who my user name is named after, and was my favourite player in the 90s and 00s. In no year did he come close to Martin's 2017 season. Saying players like John Greening got close to Martin's year just reeks of nostalgic old man thinking where superstars were better in the olden days. They weren't, your memory is just bad. The Scarletts were great players but full back is an easier position than the midfield or the forwardline where the field shrinks. I feel like you've just picked every Carlton, Geelong and Richmond player of your youth and immediately presumed they had better seasons than Martin.

I also think that Hird was inconsistent and was a player whose absence seemed to improve him on the eyes of the public. He was fairly inconsistent even in the years he did play a full season. If this is what you have to resort to, I wince at the prospect of you naming hundreds of players who had better years than Martin.

Are you really a Richmond fan...your a late on the bandwagon supporter is obvious. ROFL
Name a season that Richardson had that was better than Martin's 2017 season.

These are the only seasons which come close:

1995 - kicked 91 goals. Impressive, but not as noteworthy.

2008 - played on a wing, easier position.

If Richardson in his prime was available in today's open market and you had Martin available now, Richardson would be worth a lot more and would get Franklin-like offers as he was a freakish talent like very few we ever saw for his size.

Same would be said for Ablett Snr or Wayne Carey.
Those guys played in an era where it was back and forth and the only way to succeed was to be dominant in the air and on the ground.

As great as what Martin is, and I'm a massive fan of his, I think it's easy to forget what Ablett Junior accomplished because for a long period of time (07-14), he averaged 31 disposals (13.5 were contested), 5.5 clearances, 0.7 assists, 1.3 goals, won 2 Brownlow medals, 2 premierships, 5 MVP's, 5 B&F's, 8 All Australian's and is widely regarded as the greatest midfielder of all time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back