Opinion Dustin Martin is better than Dangerfield

Remove this Banner Ad

You do yourself no favours dissing people who have seen players of all era's not just the modern. You can only measure a player against the players they played against, in the times they played. Ablett' (x2), Matthews and Carey's names (and others) have stood the test of time, let's hope Martin joins them, another couple of seasons and he may well do. That doesn't diminish those before him.

Spot on. Even for names before that era too.

I'm guessing none of us saw Coleman, but I've heard enough from fathers, uncles, and so on - none of whom were Essendon fans - to acknowledge he must have been something special. His record is still amazing.

Spot on. Even for names before that era too.

I'm guessing none of us saw Coleman, but I've heard enough from fathers, uncles, and so on - none of whom were Essendon fans - to acknowledge he must have been something special. His record is still amazing.
Hayden Bunton must have been some player, 3 x Brownlow in 119 games, 3 x Sandover Medal in 72 games!!!

FMD !

How did Leigh Mathews go with no leap in that Era ? Martin is bigger faster and probably as strong as leigh mathews
Im not saying that Dusty is better than Ablett but with the amount of defenders and zones in todays football its a team defence and ablett would not have been as effective where he played 1 on 1 and had to defeat his defender.

There is no way known there is enough space for the fowards to play the Ablett game today

Matthews was a superb mark.
Not a big jumper but a terrific mark. Certainly a class above Martin in that department.

This current fascination with defensive zones and team defence. Explain to me why Lance Franklin seemingly has no issues with all these zones you speak about?
Could it be because he's just a tad more brilliant than your next forward down the line?
How come Nick Riewoldt managed 720 career goals?

Defensive zones have nothing to do with it. If your good enough, you dominate your position in any era.

Not a big jumper but a terrific mark. Certainly a class above Martin in that department.

This current fascination with defensive zones and team defence. Explain to me why Lance Franklin seemingly has no issues with all these zones you speak about?
Could it be because he's just a tad more brilliant than your next forward down the line?

Defensive zones have nothing to do with it. If your good enough, you dominate your position in any era.
Matthews' balance, quick lateral movement, evasive skills, and both sided skills would have been deadly in the current era too. He didn't need the don't argue.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Matthews' balance, quick lateral movement, evasive skills, and both sided skills would have been deadly in the current era too. He didn't need the don't argue.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Matthews was just a freak!
The guy must have ate sherrin for breakfast. A ball magnet like no other. Looked like a truck driver and no athlete but get him on the football field and he was in his element.
Snr's favourite footballer as well.

You clearly have no idea about Zone defence and midfielders running back to block space but just to enlighten you
Have a look at the goals that were being kicked during the lockett,ablett,Lloyd,longmire,Dunstall etc days where 100+ goals for fowards were a regular thing and multiple players a year would kick them. When was the last time 100 goals were kicked by a foward , How many time does a foward kick 10+ goals a game now
14,15,16,17 goals were kicked by players in a match , These days 5 goals is a haul

Regarding mathews , The post i replied to mentioned Martin not having the ability to take over head marks due to leap , Im yet to see Mathews get higher than 3 cm off the ground.

Not sure how old you are or how much of Mathews you have seen but i have seen him play a bit and he was a great player as is Martin , I have seen some dominant players in my time Ablett,Carey,Brereton, etc and Dustin Martin along with Buddy , Judd , Hodge is very much at that level.

Maybe you dont see enough of him but he has been a monster since his 1st season and dominated games like few before him and his 2017 is the best season of football i have ever seen from any player

GAJ and Judd are ahead comfortably..

GAJ
‐--------
Judd
---------
Voss
Hird
Fyfe
Dangerfield
Martin
Buckley
Cousins
-----------
Black
Swan
S Mitchell
Riccuito
Etc etc
(Just examples of this tier)

Danger and Dusty in the same tier for me. In the minoroty but I think Danger's marginally better. Martin GOAT talk is dumb, objectively his behind GAJ just looking at peers, before you consider past legends..

Would struggle to be a top 5 midfielder of the past 25 years, GAJ, Judd, Voss and Hird ahead, then there's an argument for #5th with Fyfe, Danger, Dusty, Cousins etc

Last edited:
Maybe you dont see enough of him but he has been a monster since his 1st season and dominated games like few before him and his 2017 is the best season of football i have ever seen from any player
Yet Martin only won the 2017 Brownlow from Dangerfield by 3 votes. Danger missed a game through a dubious suspension and missed out on a BOG from the umpires in the final game when he was easily BOG

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet Martin only won the 2017 Brownlow from Dangerfield by 3 votes. Danger missed a game through a dubious suspension and missed out on a BOG from the umpires in the final game when he was easily BOG
LOl and excuses for every other award dusty won ?

Not even close anymore Dusty is already ahead of Danger and will play longer

Dusty performs when it counts unlike Danger

LOl and excuses for every other award dusty won ?

Not even close anymore Dusty is already ahead of Danger and will play longer

Dusty performs when it counts unlike Danger
Merely making the point Dusty's 2017 was not so outstanding as you portray. Danger was hot on his heels. Fact.

GAJ and Judd are ahead comfortably..

GAJ
‐--------
Judd
---------
Voss
Hird
Fyfe
Dangerfield
Martin
Buckley
Cousins
-----------
Black
Swan
S Mitchell
Riccuito
Etc etc
(Just examples of this tier)

Danger and Dusty in the same tier for me. In the minoroty but I think Danger's marginally better. Martin GOAT talk is dumb, objectively his behind GAJ just looking at peers, before you consider past legends..

Would struggle to be a top 5 midfielder of the past 25 years, GAJ, Judd, Voss and Hird ahead, then there's an argument for #5th with Fyfe, Danger, Dusty, Cousins etc

Personally I wouldn't have Judd anywhere near Ablett. His best years were brief, Ablett clearly outshone him once he moved to midfield and he has lasted far, far longer and still playing at a high level.

Of that third group, I'd be tempted to have Fyfe, Dangerfield, and Martin as high or higher than any of the others.

Merely making the point Dusty's 2017 was not so outstanding as you portray. Danger was hot on his heels. Fact.
Was described by just about every football person in the media and involved in clubs as the best season by any player in history and he won ever award
Danger won what in 2017 ?

Was described by just about every football person in the media and involved in clubs as the best season by any player in world history and he won ever award
Danger won what in 2017 ?
EFA

In the corresponding game Danger missed, Dusty had 32 disp and 2 goals and didnt poll a brownlow vote,
In the final game Danger still got 2 votes.

I don't (and suggest you reconsider your uninformed stance) give that much credence to the brownlow. as i'd hardly call the umpires the best judge of a player let alone who's bog. Dangerflop looks flashy screaming out of a stoppage but the real judges all see as clear as day how much more effective Dusty is at all the s**t that matters to wins games.

Personally I wouldn't have Judd anywhere near Ablett. His best years were brief, Ablett clearly outshone him once he moved to midfield and he has lasted far, far longer and still playing at a high level.

Of that third group, I'd be tempted to have Fyfe, Dangerfield, and Martin as high or higher than any of the others.

I agree with virtually everything you said, I placed GAJ in a tier above Judd. Only have GAJ, Judd, Hird and Voss ahead of Fyfe, Danger and Dusty over the last 25 years (midfielders only)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back