Opinion Dustin Martin is better than Dangerfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Yet Martin only won the 2017 Brownlow from Dangerfield by 3 votes. Danger missed a game through a dubious suspension and missed out on a BOG from the umpires in the final game when he was easily BOG
When did he go missing. was it the final against Richmond in 2017 and 2019

I do think Martin was the best player in 2017. But again, it’s not like great seasons from midfielders are uncommon. We get them every year now.
True.

Maybe Matthews' hyperbole was over the top, maybe not.

I do think it was the best "great season from a midfielder" for a while. Probably GAJ 09ish. (IMO better at Cats due to team style, had to go it alone in great Suns years, which looked statistically good, but to me not as effective. I place weight on effectiveness and damage with possessions).

Not downplaying 2 outstanding years from Fyfe and Danger.

As a footy lover, I'm disappointed we missed a big chunk of prime Fyfe through injury.

Last edited:

Danger and Dusty aren't really that compared to the greatest players from most other eras. Before either I'd pick around 10 Geelong players from our premiership sides, Judd, Buddy, N. Riewoldt, Dane Swan, Brisbane players etc. Danger can't kick or dispose the ball properly and Martin whilst clean in most aspects isn't that spectacular and has only really played at that level in 2 finals campaigns.

Laughable, both points. Even your fellow supporter Partridge (who is a very level headed individual) will acknowledge this.

1. Please list the 10 Geelong players you have as better than Martin or Danger. It's simply not true.

2. Martin amassed the second most Brownlow votes from 2010-2019 (Danger No.1). You don't do that if you've "only played at that level in 2 finals campaigns". I suggest you're either unrealistic in analysing opposition players, or have not actually watched Dusty until our flag year, or maybe both.

If we're talking about going missing, Dusty is not immune, as evidenced in the 2018 PF:

View attachment 797383
Every man and his dog knew Dusty's knee was rooted. But nice stretch.

Should he have played? As the quote says.

Probably not.

True.

Maybe Matthews' hyperbole was over the top, maybe not.

I do think it was the best "great season from a midfielder" for a while. Probably GAJ 09ish. (IMO better at Cats due to team style, had to go it alone in great Suns years, which looked statistically good, but to me not as effective. I place weight on effectiveness and damage with possessions).

Not downplaying 2 outstanding years from Fyfe and Danger.

As a footy lover, I'm disappointed we missed a big chunk of prime Fyfe through injury.

Yeah Fyfe's 2015 was incredible. For Ablett I'd also rank 2009 as his best season. Although his 2010 was amazing, but due to what happened between him and Thompson, the Prelim exit and so on, it gets ignored.

Laughable, both points. Even your fellow supporter Partridge (who is a very level headed individual) will acknowledge this.

1. Please list the 10 Geelong players you have as better than Martin or Danger. It's simply not true.

2. Martin amassed the second most Brownlow votes from 2010-2019 (Danger No.1). You don't do that if you've "only played at that level in 2 finals campaigns". I suggest you're either unrealistic in analysing opposition players, or have not actually watched Dusty until our flag year, or maybe both.

Ablett
Selwood
Bartel
SJ
Chapman
Scarlett
Enright
Corey
Ling
Shannon Byrnes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ablett
Selwood
Bartel
SJ
Chapman
Scarlett
Enright
Corey
Ling
Shannon Byrnes
This is the post that SHOULD signal the end of your time on BF.

I can allow bias for your club, we ALL suffer from that affliction.

But Byrnes, Ling, Corey, Chapman and Bartel all better than Danger or Martin?

* me, this is either the dumbest post I've ever seen, or you're high.

If you're high, gimme summa dat s**t man, cos it's goooooooooood

If you do not know what an allround footballer. What may I ask are you doing on a FOOTBALL forum. Now because I never took this Post seriously ...it's a complete wank. I will just say BOTH are dam good footballers that both sides would be happy to have on board. Their a little different but that is good for the game. So I am bored with this and will move on cheers .
What an offensive campaigner you are 👎

Danger is so underrated. bloke could have had 3 Brownlows, has finished 2nd twice and won in 2016. He was favourite in 2019 but Fyfe polled out of his ass and Dusty obviously had that ridiculous season in 2017. Will probably end up finishing with the 2nd most Brownlow votes in the history of the AFL and tie/beat the record for most AA selections (record is 8, Danger is on 7). Hard to say who is the best out of Fyfe, Dusty or Danger - but he is certainly at least their equal (tantamount to the Voss, Hird and Buckley debate), not sure how people can say Dusty is "miles better". Danger & Pendlebury have probably been the best two players consistently during the 2010-2020 decade, even if Dusty's best was marginally better.

And to the poster who said there have been 10 players better than Danger at Geelong in the past 20 years, yeah right. Only Ablett jnr has been better, the greatest midfielder I've ever seen.

Last edited:
Danger is so underrated. bloke could have had 3 Brownlows, has finished 2nd twice and won in 2016. He was favourite in 2019 but Fyfe polled out of his ass and Dusty obviously had that ridiculous season in 2017. Will probably end up finishing with the 2nd most Brownlow votes in the history of the AFL and tie/beat the record for most AA selections (record is 8, Danger is on 7). Hard to say who is the best out of Fyfe, Dusty or Danger - but he is certainly at least their equal (tantamount to the Voss, Hird and Buckley debate), not sure how people can say Dusty is "miles better". Danger & Pendlebury have probably been the best two players consistently during the 2010-2020 decade, even if Dusty's best was marginally better.

And to the poster who said there have been 10 players better than Danger at Geelong in the past 20 years, yeah right. Only Ablett jnr has been better, the greatest midfielder I've ever seen.

Interesting about who has been the most consistent players of the last decade, I'd find it hard to leave any of the three out. They're all ahead of Pendlebury in my estimation. I'd still easily include Ablett. His first five years of the decade (2010-2014) were as good or better than anything anyone else has provided. If Dangerfield could have had 3 Brownlows Ablett could have had 6.

Out of the three players - Martin, Dangerfield, and Fyfe - to me it varies almost depending on the year. Fyfe was easily the player of 2015, Dangerfield was of 2016, and Martin was of 2017. There's not a lot between them. But certainly in finals right now, Martin has serious runs on the board. He's dominated two finals campaigns culminating in premierships and starred in pretty much every game. Right now for various reasons Fyfe and Dangerfield haven't come close to matching his finals performances.

Dusty is better than Dangerfield because he is more of a team player. Danger can do brilliant things but he’s a bit of a show pony and seems to want to be the one to do it all. Dusty just loves the contest and brings his teammates into the play all the time.

That said, in my extremely biased opinion Fyfe is better than both of them. More Brownlow votes than games played... Dusty and Danger can’t claim that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back