Opinion Dustin Martin is better than Dangerfield

Remove this Banner Ad

This is not easy.... Dusty has had more opportunity at his peak age in big finals...
Fyfe was young in 2013. And injured.
Fyfe in a grand final in the last 2 years im guessing he dominates big time.

But overall I have them

1. Martin
  2. Fyfe
  3. Dangerfield

But 1 and 2 could have so easily be different in different teams...

And they are all very bloody good...

Dusty is better than Dangerfield because he is more of a team player. Danger can do brilliant things but he’s a bit of a show pony and seems to want to be the one to do it all. Dusty just loves the contest and brings his teammates into the play all the time.

That said, in my extremely biased opinion Fyfe is better than both of them. More Brownlow votes than games played... Dusty and Danger can’t claim that.

At their best, these three guys are the best three players in the game right now.

For mine, the determining factor is how they go at their worst. i.e - When Elliot Yeo goes head to head with them in the midfield...

Hence: Fyfe #1, Danger #2 and Dusty #3.

I've got Dusty, Ablett jnr and Carey as the best I have seen. Prob Ablett senior and Lockett not far behind.

On Redmi Note 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Dusty Martin is now an all time great, no doubt about it, but he is not above GAS & Tony Lockett, those two players would be in most Top 5 ( at least top 10 ) lists in the history of the game......To contribute to the actual thread, I still think Dangerfield has had more elite ‘seasons’ than Dusty, but winning 2 Norm Smiths and having the reputation as the best big time performer ( like Bartel & Hodge in the past ) probably now puts Dusty in front....They’re very close though.

Dusty has three seasons to elevate himself to those heights (Lockett and Ablett ) .
all depends what he does from now on.

danger is a star player, no denying it. I’d rather have Dusty.

You hate to use Brownlow Votes as a measure for anything, but lets look at Brownlow Votes per year as a
measure.

Dustin Martin: 17.60
Patrick Dangerfield: 17.42
Nat Fyfe: 17.40
Joel Selwood: 15.23
Gary Ablett Jnr: 14.78
Marcus Bontempelli: 14.50
Scott Pendlebury: 13.86
Tom Mitchell: 13.17
Patrick Cripps: 12.50
Lance Franklin: 11.33

You hate to use Brownlow Votes as a measure for anything, but lets look at Brownlow Votes per year as a
measure.

You know technically Tim Kelly: 18.50, after two years in the system Yojimbo !

Forgot him that must mean he is better than all the others. :eek:

measure.

And Ablett's is sustained over no less than 18 seasons.

Unbelievable.

At their best, these three guys are the best three players in the game right now.

For mine, the determining factor is how they go at their worst. i.e - When Elliot Yeo goes head to head with them in the midfield...

Hence: Fyfe #1, Danger #2 and Dusty #3.
Dusty murdered Elliot Yeo in round 22? Was BOG by a mile and received three votes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That said, in my extremely biased opinion Fyfe is better than both of them. More Brownlow votes than games played... Dusty and Danger can’t claim that.
Its not totally outlandish, some will agree, others won't, unfortunately Fyfe was really cruelled by injury at a key time. Nevertheless you could make a case either way and they have different skill set advantages over the other.

I still feel both are better than Dangerfield though, and being younger still have more time to achieve more than he does in the remainder of their careers.

ON memory I don't think Carey ever polled well in the brownlow, although he is arguably the best player to have ever played
Wayne Carey: 8.47 which was 127 Votes over 15 Years. I don't like the who was the best player ever arguments
much, but North Melbourne did play in seven consecutive Preliminary Finals during his time.

I still feel both are better than Dangerfield though, and being younger still have more time to achieve more than he does in the remainder of their careers.
Why? Is it Fyffe’s pinpoint precision kicking?

I think the best players I have ever seen were obviously skilled, but more importantly, the best decision makers - especially under real pressure. Leigh Matthews, Carey, Ablett Snr and Jnr and Diesel Williams were off the chain. You could argue for hours about them, but they saw things others couldn’t and hit targets in stupidly dangerous places to the advantage of their team. It’s not about absolute possessions or DE, or even Brownlows, it’s about hitting a damaging target that just opens things up for your team.

Dusty kills Danger in this respect.

And as a footy lover I can’t wait to watch the Bont develop over the next 5 years. Is a top talent with an X factor that is brilliant to watch.

Agree that Fyfe is the best of the three of them (best in the league, to be honest), but not because he’s got more Brownlow votes. It’s a pretty ordinary measure of a player’s worth.

I think the best players I have ever seen were obviously skilled, but more importantly, the best decision makers - especially under real pressure. Leigh Matthews, Carey, Ablett Snr and Jnr and Diesel Williams were off the chain. You could argue for hours about them, but they saw things others couldn’t and hit targets in stupidly dangerous places to the advantage of their team. It’s not about absolute possessions or DE, or even Brownlows, it’s about hitting a damaging target that just opens things up for your team.

Dusty kills Danger in this respect.

And as a footy lover I can’t wait to watch the Bont develop over the next 5 years. Is a top talent with an X factor that is brilliant to watch.
Agree with this.
Respect to Danger and Fyfe. Great players. And Dusty, the best player I’ve seen pull on a Richmond jumper.

Pendles in his prime was a treat to watch with the perceived time he had to dispose of the ball. Dusty to just grab the game with his imposing will and strength. And Bont is the one that will take the mantle from these two with his unique skill set. So good to watch.

No player in the past 30 years has as much ‘class’ as dusty. Never seems rushed. Unbelievable decision maker. Danger is manic for the footy and perhaps that is why he often seems rushed. Like Judd and Fyfe, Danger’s kicking is hit and miss. Going back in time that is why Matthews is the greatest ever, as manic at the footy as Danger, skills/decision making/contested marking as good as Dusty/Danger, goal sense better than any small forward ever, and he did it all twice as often as anyone else in history. All whilst knocking blokes out (usually within the rules at the time) each week. Unbelievable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back