Opinion Dustin Martin is better than Dangerfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Dangerfield is the best player in the game and is in GOAT conversations.

Martin isn't even the best player at his own club.

I seriously can't rate Dustin Martin when my fondest memory of him is Jake freaking Neade bumping him off the ball in the 2014 elimination final. Very good at beating up on soft opposition, needs to start doing it against the better teams to be rated alongside Dangerfield/Fyfe

Very good at beating up on soft opposition, needs to start doing it against the better teams to be rated alongside Dangerfield/Fyfe

Doesn't fall away markedly. Maybe the top teams are better at negating his offensive game.

Opponent|K|H|D|M|T|G
\1st-4th|16.4|9.9|26.3|4.3|3.2|0.8
\5th-8th|13.6|8.9|22.5|3.5|3.4|1
\9th-13th|15.4|8.7|24.1|3.7|3.5|1.1
\14th-18th|16.7|8.8|25.5|4.6|2.8|1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't fall away markedly. Maybe the top teams are better at negating his offensive game.

Opponent|K|H|D|M|T|G
\1st-4th|16.4|9.9|26.3|4.3|3.2|0.8
\5th-8th|13.6|8.9|22.5|3.5|3.4|1
\9th-13th|15.4|8.7|24.1|3.7|3.5|1.1
\14th-18th|16.7|8.8|25.5|4.6|2.8|1
Out of curiosity, what's his finals record like?

That's the rub - when Dusty starts playing that well, consistently, against top sides I'll become a convert. He has the ceiling, not the regularity.
Until then he's a smidge below the Fyfes, Dangerfields, etc.
Well hes had under 28 touches once in his last 18 games. So I'd say the consistency is pretty much there.

F*** me,

Is this the Dustin Martin who has more clangers, worse disposal efficency, less effective disposals, less metres gained, less contested ball and less goals than Dangerfield?

But it's not all about stats right? I agree. It has been well documented that in the game Martin loves a little chip pass sideways every now and then. However some times he will go bang and hit someone 50 metres away on the chest. Though, the reality is he is more likely to do an ineffective disposal than Dangerfield is.

Danger just bursts out, goes for a 10-20 metre run and 69% of the time finds a target. Sometimes he shanks it! comes with the territory. I don't know if any of you have seen Dangerfield kick with no pressure but he is pretty damn good.

Dangerfield just had one of the most dominate years anyone has seen for a while and yet, after one game against the likely wooden spooner you all flock to Martin like he is the second coming of Christ.

IF and it is a big if, Martin continues the form he shown last night for the rest of the year, then we can have a conversation.

Anyone who thinks Martin is better than Dangerfield at this point is either delusional or really hates guys surfing in suits (fair excuse).
After one game? Lmao.
First of all this thread was made last year.
Also Martin has averaged 33 touches over his last 18 games

From late last year to now this is run of touches per game.
38, 35, 32, 38, 43, 39, 28, 34, 36, 31, 33, 33.

But sure mate, it's just after one game. Hes making 28 touches look like a down game.

Not to mention last year was the first season since his first season in 2010 where he averaged under a goal a game.
And by the looks of last night he's going to keep high numbers along with goals.

That's why people are saying it now.

Last edited:
Whilst the opposition wasn't great, he did remind me of Dangerfield last year watching him last night. He looked a class above, and seemed that whenever he was near it, something would happen. He is certainly in the discussion of best players in the game.
He's essentially Dangerfield, minus the squeaky clean persona, and minus the hack kicks to the opposition.

Unlike dangerfield, Dusty has never walked out on his club, especially not to make his girlfriend happy.
Lol... Both Dangerfield and his Wife's family have lived in the Geelong area their whole life, but nice attempt of a troll... On topic Dusty last night played very much like a top 3 midfielder.... But it was only one match, I still expect him to be just behind Danger and Fyfe by seasons end... But he is now on the same level as midfield guns like Josh Kennedy, Selwood and Pendlebury which is an achievement in itself.

Lol... Both Dangerfield and his Wife's family have lived in the Geelong area their whole life, but nice attempt of a troll... On topic Dusty last night played very much like a top 3 midfielder.... But it was only one match, I still expect him to be just behind Danger and Fyfe by seasons end... But he is now on the same level as midfield guns like Josh Kennedy, Selwood and Pendlebury which is an achievement in itself.

We all love our own .

Carry on

After one game? Lmao.
First of all this thread was made last year.
Also Martin has averaged 33 touches over his last 18 games

From late last year to now this is run of touches per game.
38, 35, 32, 38, 43, 39, 28, 34, 36, 31, 33, 33.

But sure mate, it's just after one game. Hes making 28 touches look like a down game.

Not to mention last year was the first season since his first season in 2010 where he averaged under a goal a game.
And by the looks of last night he's going to keep high numbers along with goals.

That's why people are saying it now.

Lel "by the looks of last night he is going to have high numbers along with goals"

You played Carlton ffs, get i through your head. That is not a good sample size. You are right this thread was made last season, which makes it even more ridiculous. Last year Danger was better than him in nearly every facet of the game and that's what this discussion is about.

This year, he could be better than danger but anyone calling that after a game against Carlton is a deadset f***wit

Remove this Banner Ad

Back