Recommitted Dustin Martin [UFA 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

I notice you completely disregarded the recent injury and mental health issues.

Also as I said he can still play at a very high level but bringing up his stats against a team that is rebuilding and sitting 13th isn't going to be his consistent level. Look at his R1 stats against a decent team 21 touches 1 goal 6 Si, Decent stat line for sure but no one is giving up a top 10 pick or 2 late first rounders for a 31 year old producing that who's coming off a serious physical injury and has serious mental health question marks.

I don't disregard them. His kidney injury has healed and the weight is back on. Not sure why that even impacts his future value. Its like saying he once had a hamstring strain and that that would impact any future value.

The mental health, yes its something he has to deal with, like a lot of people have to. It doesn't mean that it will continually affect his life and career. People find different coping mechanisms to deal with mental health issues all the time. We don't know any of the details of this, just that he needed a break, and he's had a tough time of it recently. Grief is a tough thing to deal with, but it doesn't mean that it will result in him upping and leaving the game or not being able to continue his formline.

As for Round 1, everyone who was there at the G that day knew something wasn't right with him, many were asking if he was injured / hadn't recovered properly and when he took the break after Round 1 it made a lot of sense, there was something not quite right about the way he played footy then. The last 2 weeks, he has looked a lot more like the Dustin that all Tiger fans know and love.

You can talk down his game against the Hawks if you like, but he was similar against the Pies the week before (23 touches, 2, goals, 11 score involvements), correction on the Hawks game, he only had 20 touches.

If you think thats "decent", can you tell me how many other players in the AFL average 19+ touches and 2 goals per game?? I'll be backing Dustin in, to perform at a similar level at Dreamtime tomorrow night.

I don't disregard them. His kidney injury has healed and the weight is back on. Not sure why that even impacts his future value. Its like saying he once had a hamstring strain and that that would impact any future value.

The mental health, yes its something he has to deal with, like a lot of people have to. It doesn't mean that it will continually affect his life and career. People find different coping mechanisms to deal with mental health issues all the time. We don't know any of the details of this, just that he needed a break, and he's had a tough time of it recently. Grief is a tough thing to deal with, but it doesn't mean that it will result in him upping and leaving the game or not being able to continue his formline.

As for Round 1, everyone who was there at the G that day knew something wasn't right with him, many were asking if he was injured / hadn't recovered properly and when he took the break after Round 1 it made a lot of sense, there was something not quite right about the way he played footy then. The last 2 weeks, he has looked a lot more like the Dustin that all Tiger fans know and love.

You can talk down his game against the Hawks if you like, but he was similar against the Pies the week before (23 touches, 2, goals, 11 score involvements), correction on the Hawks game, he only had 20 touches.

If you think thats "decent", can you tell me how many other players in the AFL average 19+ touches and 2 goals per game?? I'll be backing Dustin in, to perform at a similar level at Dreamtime tomorrow night.
He is 1 kidney injury away from retirement is the point.

Mental health can pop up at anytime and given what his achieved and his age retirement is a genuine option again.

Collingwood are 11th and just had Adam Treloar have 35 and kick 3 against them and Josh Dunkley have 24 and kick 3 against them.

Essendon are currently 16th not sure him performing against them is that big of a deal either.

Your up coming fixture list is much harder and we will see what his top level is in that period.

he has also only played 3 games so of course his averages look better then the rest of the comp however if you want in the last 3 games Josh Dunkley is going at 2 goals and 22.6 disposals

Tigers fans seem to be in denial that this guy would be turning 32 in his first season with a new club and thus worth very little in a trade unless that club believes he can/will immediately deliver a flag (even more so if requested by the player, on top of the good will he has earned). Nobody is suggesting he isn't a legend and still playing good footy. It's merely pointing out that he's a short term buy at this point.

Sydney may believe that to be the case but as others have stated, they're in no desperate need to throw away a bunch of picks (or a valuable player) for a 2-3 year rental. They are seemingly well placed for young talent and picks though, so a first rounder may be in play (but not two in isolation).

GWS wouldn't even consider moving Tom Green (who is 21 and already elite) directly for Dusty unless they think he will be enough of an immediate upgrade on Green in the next 2 years to win a flag. A farfetched idea unless Richmond are severely sweetening the deal.

The suggestion to pay some of his salary is directly related to the trade value you receive. If you're not interested in that as part of any deal, that's fine but expect less than any offers that include that. It's simply another tool to tweak the value to reach a trade equilibrium.

Nobody external cares how much he is worth to your club in sentiment (and it may very well be the case that he is worth more to you than any viable compensation) - if that's the case, then sit him down and tell him you're not willing to let him move on. In which case he may retire and you end up with nothing at all, or you may get another couple of years out of him. No loss to Sydney/GWS. They're certainly not paying for Richmond's sentiment. They'd be paying for Dustin Martin to play for their club (at 32).

If you want something valuable in return, you'll need to bring more to the table than "here's a 32 year old Dusty for a couple of years, who wants out anyway". Otherwise he's all yours (or nobody's), which perhaps everyone is happy with presumably other than Dusty himself.

Having said all that, if I had to guess at this stage, I would say he stays or retires rather than starts at a new club/requests a trade.

Expecting a Dylan Shiel, Tim Kelly, Jeremy Cameron type return is unrealistic, but so is expecting to lure Dusty under contract for a token pick and pay him less than he is on now - with or without Richmond contributing, just because he'd maybe like to play in NSW and both he Richmond are good guys.

IMO Sydney makes sense, GWS does not. Sydney played finals last year, will probably play finals this year and have both a good young group coming through and a short window with Franklin, Rampe, Parker, Lloyd etc. GWS seem to be trending downwards. Either way, he has more chance of sliding into the background at the Swans. There's no way he ends up at GWS and the club/AFL don't want him to be one of the faces of the club.

Dusty is 31 this year and also one of the best players in the comp. Sydney's first pick assuming a top 6 finish or Melbourne's assuming a flag aren't unreasonable.

Getting some Jeremy Cameron vibes from his last year at gws.

Looks like a bloke with a lot on his plate

17 disposals at 58% 3 clangers no goals wow wee he’s still at his brownlow level isn’t he

17 disposals at 58% 3 clangers no goals wow wee he’s still at his brownlow level isn’t he

Who said anything about Brownlow form???

You know whats worse than talking about a 2 game run of form? Talking about 1 game.

Sometimes its better not to comment than make rouself look stupid.

He had a poor game, it happens to the best players.

Who said anything about Brownlow form???

You know whats worse than talking about a 2 game run of form? Talking about 1 game.

Sometimes its better not to comment than make rouself look stupid.

He had a poor game, it happens to the best players.
At 31 you’re not paying up the big picks and players you’re suggesting for a guy in this kind of form

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have it in for him??? He’s a legend of the game and one of the best to have ever played. All I’m saying is he is not valuable in a trade at all
Well I think he is a legend of the game too. We agree there. Think he's still got a few years of elite football in him. That kidney injury slowed him down end of last year. His old man passed recently too. There are some solid reasons why he's not doing the 'Dusty 2017-2020 stuff so far this year.

Well I think he is a legend of the game too. We agree there. Think he's still got a few years of elite football in him. That kidney injury slowed him down end of last year. His old man passed recently too. There are some solid reasons why he's not doing the 'Dusty 2017-2020 stuff so far this year.
And that’s my exact point as to why you won’t get much value in a trade with his large contract on top

Interesting comments coming from Hardwick and Richmond that they won’t stand in his way if he wants a move, Dusty doesn’t owe Richmond anything.

So if Dusty wants a move Sydney and the Swans only offer a 2nd round pick, will Richmond hold him to his contract?

Interesting comments coming from Hardwick and Richmond that they won’t stand in his way if he wants a move, Dusty doesn’t owe Richmond anything.

So if Dusty wants a move Sydney and the Swans only offer a 2nd round pick, will Richmond hold him to his contract?

Depends how backended his contract is. If it is 1.5+ for the next 2 years, it will open up all sorts of options for Richmond if he did leave or retire. Obviously he would have to then take a massive paycut to play for Sydney as they surely couldnt risk that kind of money on him.

Last night it was like he tried to get interested and celebrate goals but its just not there. Personally I would think he is way more likely to retire than play for Sydney. He wont just regain motivation playing at a new club. I would think playing like last night would see the pressure come on quickly at a new club, at Richmond he can get away with it, given what hes done for us.

He'll go to Sydney and Richmond will accept whatever is offered to them which won't be more than a 2nd. Richmond have literally zero bargaining power here. He wants to go to a 2 club state with 1 of them just turning over a coach and not in the window. So likely just one club will be genuinely interested.

It would look horrible on Richmond management to hold him to his contract after A) Everything he has done for the club and B) The off-field tragedies he's endured.

He will go for not much more than steak knives.

He'll go to Sydney and Richmond will accept whatever is offered to them which won't be more than a 2nd. Richmond have literally zero bargaining power here. He wants to go to a 2 club state with 1 of them just turning over a coach and not in the window. So likely just one club will be genuinely interested.

It would look horrible on Richmond management to hold him to his contract after A) Everything he has done for the club and B) The off-field tragedies he's endured.

He will go for not much more than steak knives.
You mean besides the fact that he's contracted for two more years? :$ The club will still expect a favorable deal to be done if he wants to leave. That would be on GWS/Sydney to accommodate, not us. We're not a charity.
Gws have no chance after snubbing him in 2013
Snubbing him? I believe when they were touring the facilities GWS asked him who his idols were and he said Damien Hardwick and Chocco to which GWS said thank for coming. The whole exercise was a cash grab by Carr.

You mean besides the fact that he's contracted for two more years? :$ The club will still expect a favorable deal to be done if he wants to leave. That would be on GWS/Sydney to accommodate, not us. We're not a charity.
Talks of being contracted just shows you don't really understand the situation. He's not some 24 year old back pocket jobber. He's a legend of the club who wants to leave on compassionate grounds.

You think Richmond would hold him to his contract after his dad passes away, after winning the team 3 flags and knowing right well it could affect his mental health? That would be a nightmare for the club to deal with on a PR level, plus I'm sure his teammates would be upset at that and not to mention Dusty himself.

In terms of his value - he's getting older, he could quite literally retire at the drop of a hat, he only wants to go to realistically 1 team. Need I go on? His value is minimal despite the fantastic career he's had. Sydney know the deal will be done on their terms. Richmond don't have a leg to stand on if he wants to go.

2nd gets it done. Take the blinkers off champ.

It’s amazing how important contracts are in these threads until they suddenly aren’t

If he does go then Sydney’s second round pick couldn’t nearly be enough unless they manage to take on his entire contract (and even then I don’t think it’ll be enough)

It’s amazing how important contracts are in these threads until they suddenly aren’t

If he does go then Sydney’s second round pick couldn’t nearly be enough unless they manage to take on his entire contract (and even then I don’t think it’ll be enough)
It depends on how much Sydney are prepared to pay of his salary, yeah. I'm working on the assumption they pay most if not all of it, or attempt to spread the deal out over more years. But if Richmond pay a substantial amount then obviously that then changes the trade dynamic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back