• Maybe..

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

officialjc

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
according to the scandals and rumours board, we could have a midfield consisting of sloane, gibbs, pendlebury, martin and the crouches next year.

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
And yet if someone offered you more.....
At some stage you have to evaluate what's important in your life and whether a financial decision is the be all and end all. Personally, if I had that amount of money, I can't see the extra amount meaning much to me. I'd rather stay with my mates and win a flag with them. At least with Richmond there's a chance of that, at North he's unlikely to win anything because they are at least 5 years off anything. Apparently he's like brothers with Cotchin - he'd be a fool to think leaving the club wouldn't change that relationship. Look at Gary Ablett - went for money, ended up miserable and no doubt regrets it every single day. He missed out on a flag, possibly more, and he missed out on sharing good times with his mates at Geelong. He still would have been very rich if he'd stuck around, but somehow he's a poorer man for the financial decision he took.

I seem to be in the minority thinking this way. Most people seem to say you should chase the cash. I'm just saying I don't think that way. But it's cool if you think differently.

May 23, 2010
Chalong 83130
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth (Demons)
At some stage you have to evaluate what's important in your life and whether a financial decision is the be all and end all. Personally, if I had that amount of money, I can't see the extra amount meaning much to me. I'd rather stay with my mates and win a flag with them. At least with Richmond there's a chance of that, at North he's unlikely to win anything because they are at least 5 years off anything. Apparently he's like brothers with Cotchin - he'd be a fool to think leaving the club wouldn't change that relationship. Look at Gary Ablett - went for money, ended up miserable and no doubt regrets it every single day. He missed out on a flag, possibly more, and he missed out on sharing good times with his mates at Geelong. He still would have been very rich if he'd stuck around, but somehow he's a poorer man for the financial decision he took.

I seem to be in the minority thinking this way. Most people seem to say you should chase the cash. I'm just saying I don't think that way. But it's cool if you think differently.
You know that GAJ is miserable do you?
Good for you if you think thats enough, not all would agree with you, you have no idea what his future plans maybe and what those plans may cost.
He runs out onto the field any time at training or on game day, does his knee or the likes and his career's over, so as with GAJ i wont begrudge the guy if he makes a financial decision that you don't agree with.

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
You know that GAJ is miserable do you?
Good for you if you think thats enough, not all would agree with you, you have no idea what his future plans maybe and what those plans may cost.
He runs out onto the field any time at training or on game day, does his knee or the likes and his career's over, so as with GAJ i wont begrudge the guy if he makes a financial decision that you don't agree with.
okey mate

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle

I think that is really easy to say when it is not you getting the offers. Everybody wants more, it is the human curse. Once he has 1.5m he would have his head turned by 2m. Pretty sure there is no limit to this.

I'd like to think that if I had the offer of 1.2m with mates or 1.5m at a new club I would stay, but I, like Dusty am human and would probably take the money.

Also if he and Cotch are as tight as you say, no way he would begrudge him leaving for that kind of deal. Good mates don't treat you worse for doing what is best for you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think that is really easy to say when it is not you getting the offers. Everybody wants more, it is the human curse. Once he has 1.5m he would have his head turned by 2m. Pretty sure there is no limit to this.
I've turned down money before - not on the scale of Dusty, but a similar percentage difference. I felt that the price to my happiness wasn't worth the extra money. It did involve relocation to a place/environment I wasn't sure was a good fit for me.
I'd like to think that if I had the offer of 1.2m with mates or 1.5m at a new club I would stay, but I, like Dusty am human and would probably take the money.
I would stay at the Tiges. But that's just me. I won't judge you if you say you'd take the money. That would be your right to do so, if you were in that position. For me though, the negatives would outweigh the positives because to me, I would already have more than enough money, but no guarantee of having the same connection I have with mates like Cotch at my new club. Each to their own though. It's hard to transplant your own values onto Dusty's situation, I agree. Your values are shifted by your situation, so this is extreme hypotheticals.

Also if he and Cotch are as tight as you say, no way he would begrudge him leaving for that kind of deal. Good mates don't treat you worse for doing what is best for you.
I'm not saying Cotch would resent him, or that it would end their friendship, but it certainly would change the way they relate and the frequency of their catchups. Being teammates is totally different to being at different clubs. It's still a cost of sorts if he takes the money.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I've turned down money before - not on the scale of Dusty, but a similar percentage difference. I felt that the price to my happiness wasn't worth the extra money. It did involve relocation to a place/environment I wasn't sure was a good fit for me.

I would stay at the Tiges. But that's just me. I won't judge you if you say you'd take the money. That would be your right to do so, if you were in that position. For me though, the negatives would outweigh the positives because to me, I would already have more than enough money, but no guarantee of having the same connection I have with mates like Cotch at my new club. Each to their own though. It's hard to transplant your own values onto Dusty's situation, I agree. Your values are shifted by your situation, so this is extreme hypotheticals.

I'm not saying Cotch would resent him, or that it would end their friendship, but it certainly would change the way they relate and the frequency of their catchups. Being teammates is totally different to being at different clubs. It's still a cost of sorts if he takes the money.
Fair enough.

Big difference between 30% more of ~100k (obviously no idea how much it was for you) and 2.1m before tax. Put it this way I will be impressed by his character if he stays and wouldn't think any less of him if he goes.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
We would get pretty well compensated or would get 2 first rounders if we forced a trade so it wouldn't be the end of the world.

We look like being able to go close to what it would take with Lever going. Wonder whether it would go down like the Danger deal, no RFA contract lodged so nobody knows his actual wage. As unlikely as it would be for Dusty to be heading Adelaide way.

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Martin is either going to go to North Melbourne for the money or stay at Richmond for very good money. He's not going anywhere else.

Vikingblood

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 4, 2012
Catfish City
AFL Club
Adelaide

Can you have a chat to Jake Lever for us mate.

Back