Recommitted Dustin Martin [UFA 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of his trade value would come down to who is paying his contract.

GC would be fools to pay pick 4 and pick up his entire contract, just as Richmond would be fools to trade him for a token pick while still paying a large part of his deal.

If this happens (and I still doubt that it will), then the biggest part of the deal will be the bit that will never (officially) be made public.

The only way it makes even the slightest bit of sense for the Suns is if Dusty wants to go and Richmond are willing to do it cheap as a good will measure (not suggesting they should or are required to).

If the Suns give up any serious currency so they can pay a 31 year old huge money they are taking a big step backwards.
I see you are unfamiliar with the Suns list management team. History suggests this is their mantra.

what do Sydney have to offer?

Hopefully a thanks, but no thanks.

He’s not the person we need to be wasting money on. His body could give up on him at any moment and the costs would be way too risky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This would be a salary dump surely tigers would have to package a pick with him for someone to take him???

This would be a salary dump surely tigers would have to package a pick with him for someone to take him???
Why would we do that? Our cap isn't in any trouble. Dusty only leave if he wants to, and if we get well compensated.

It's not like Dusty would be heading there on one leg. He's just come off a really strong year and is the type of player who could play for a few more years yet. He's 100% worth a first round pick.

Richmond say thanks but no thanks.

If GC want a club legend still playing top quality footy under contract, they pay something too good to refuse, not a trade that values him at about 25, we would just laugh.

Happily keep him til the end of his contract another year.
What if he says he wants out and is happy to walk away from the money owed. I would think the Tigers would be chomping at the bit to have a 1.3m opening in your cap. Surely you would honour his request considering service rendered

Late pick, and everyone wins

Why would we do that? Our cap isn't in any trouble. Dusty only leave if he wants to, and if we get well compensated.

It's not like Dusty would be heading there on one leg. He's just come off a really strong year and is the type of player who could play for a few more years yet. He's 100% worth a first round pick.
Strongly strongly disagree with the last sentence.

What if he says he wants out and is happy to walk away from the money owed. I would think the Tigers would be chomping at the bit to have a 1.3m opening in your cap. Surely you would honour his request considering service rendered

No-one is walking away from 1.3 MIL for 6 months of work. No matter who you are, or how magnanimous a person you may be.

It'll either be you guys offering a high enough pick for Richmond to take on most of the contract, or you guys absorbing most of it (and the AFL paying ambassador payments to cover the shortfall) and giving up a pick in the mid-late 20's.

Most likely neither of these scenarios happen and you just have a crack next year when you're in Finals contention, and you want a superstar like Martin to top off your list build while you compete at the pointy end.

No-one is walking away from 1.3 MIL for 6 months of work. No matter who you are, or how magnanimous a person you may be.

It'll either be you guys offering a high enough pick for Richmond to take on most of the contract, or you guys absorbing most of it (and the AFL paying ambassador payments to cover the shortfall) and giving up a pick in the mid-late 20's.

Most likely neither of these scenarios happen and you just have a crack next year when you're in Finals contention, and you want a superstar like Martin to top off your list build while you compete at the pointy end.
I think you’re right, if he is still keen get him in 2025 as an X factor

Allows him to play 300 for the Tigers and we should be much better positioned in 12 months to have a crack at contending

He's not going to sit out a year and forgo $1mil +

Cap room is irrelevant for next year unless there was a 26 year old Tom Lynch or Jeremy Cameron FA we could target as a KPF, but there isn't this year. We aren't going to trade in a big name this off season, so we can afford him on the books for next year.

Honour his request yes, absolutely, but not at the expense of helping GC out and giving him for peanuts.
We aren't talking about letting fringe/non best 22 players like Dan Butler, Jack Higgins, Coleman-Jones out for cheapish deals, we're talking about arguably one of our greatest ever players, playing top level football, contracted, and means an enormous amount to the club.

Not a single person at the club or other associated with RFC would be open to trading him for a late pick this off season.

It must be a good deal for Richmond or we'd hold him to his contract for next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cap room is irrelevant for next year unless there was a 26 year old Tom Lynch or Jeremy Cameron FA we could target as a KPF, but there isn't this year. We aren't going to trade in a big name this off season, so we can afford him on the books for next year.

Honour his request yes, absolutely, but not at the expense of helping GC out and giving him for peanuts.
We aren't talking about letting fringe/non best 22 players like Dan Butler, Jack Higgins, Coleman-Jones out for cheapish deals, we're talking about arguably one of our greatest ever players, playing top level football, contracted, and means an enormous amount to the club.

Not a single person at the club or other associated with RFC would be open to trading him for a late pick this off season.

It must be a good deal for Richmond or we'd hold him to his contract for next year.
Not sure where him sitting out came from, but it’s not from me.

I’m happy for you to keep him and pick him up for free in 2025. This allows him to play 300 for you and for us to build under Dimma to see if getting Dusty as an X factor, cherry on top in 2025 works for him and us

Martin definitely wouldn't screw Richmond over and sit out a season or try make a ridiculous ultimatum to The Tigers to request a trade either.. He has yellow and black blood running through his veins

Not sure where him sitting out came from, but it’s not from me.

I’m happy for you to keep him and pick him up for free in 2025. This allows him to play 300 for you and for us to build under Dimma to see if getting Dusty as an X factor, cherry on top in 2025 works for him and us
What are the compensation rules for UFAs? If he did leave end of 2024 as an UFA, assuming he's not going for cheap so I wonder if we'd get some form of compo pick

Martin definitely wouldn't screw Richmond over and sit out a season or try make a ridiculous ultimatum to The Tigers to request a trade either.. He has yellow and black blood running through his veins
Agree. I don't think he's leaving at all. He's been speculated to leave since like 2016.

What are the compensation rules for UFAs? If he did leave end of 2024 as an UFA, assuming he's not going for cheap so I wonder if we'd get some form of compo pick
The AFL would hand you something, the AFL herbs and spices formula makes knowing what that might be very difficult

You’d get something but chances are it wouldn’t be much. Age, length of contract are both considered which would go against him, I also doubt the Suns would be throwing huge money at him.

He hardly talks to the media less so since the death of his father.
the media don't like that, since than they make up BS rumors that he is leaving every year.

With the new veterans list allowance coming in likely in 2024+ can't see him ever leaving.

the media don't like that, since than they make up BS rumors that he is leaving every year.

With the new veterans list allowance coming in likely in 2024+ can't see him ever leaving.
Oh please that is rubbish... They make up BS rumours because they don't like him?

Espn No GIF

No they make up rumours because he's Dustin Martin and it creates a story.

Doesn't get the same hype if "sources say" Kamdyn Macintosh is weighing up his future at Richmond.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back