Recommitted Dustin Martin [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hawks fans absolutely kidding themselves :drunk:

Dusty will stay based on pure love for the club. If he wants success, GWS, Bulldogs, Sydney and maybe St Kilda are the realistic chances whilst he's in his prime...Not sure why hawks fans are in this thread? You guys are finished for now.
If he was going to stay just "based on pure love for the club" wouldn't he have signed by now? Is he trying to squeeze another 50k of love out of Richmond?

Buddy loved the Hawks, Frawley loved the Dees, Dangerfield loved the Crows, and Goddard loved the Saints (so much so he cried). Didn't stop any of them making the change.

Last edited:
If he was going to stay just "based on pure love for the club" wouldn't he have signed by now? Is he trying to squeeze another 50k of love out of Richmond?

Buddy loved the Hawks, Frawley loved the Dees and Dangerfield loved the Crows. Didn't stop any of them making the change.
You don't understand how love works.

If $50K is such a small amount may I borrow some?
FYI over 5 years thats $250k well worth the wait and mind games and you have a good accountant and financial planner you wont be paying that much tax so you cut the 50% idea going to mr taxman
So let me get this straight...if you have a decent accountant you can drop down a tax bracket even though your taxable income remains the same and you'd save heaps more tax as opposed to using a lousy accountant. Interesting theory...

WTF ... Hawks dont win the flag for 1 year and they are finished???? Yeah ... so I suppose your blokes have been finished for the last 30 years?

You won't win a Premiership for a little while. Nobody said Hawthorn are finished forever. I just think GWS, Bulldogs, St Kilda and Melbourne are going to shape that new Top 4 in the coming years, whilst Sydney have a better list than the Hawks also and are more likely to win a flag in the short term. No need to get juvenile over an opinion, I didn't say Richmond were going to win one either.

Oh yeah the club that wins a Premiership every 4 years or so for the last half a century is finished.

Not heard of rebuilding?

I don't mean a 37 year Tiger style rebuild I mean an Al Clarkson rebuild.

So this love you talk about that Dusty has for the Tigers, I assume he has signed then?

Why would he sign before he realistically, logically and financially has too? Well known what his manager is like and we've seen this before. He'll soak up as much time as he can in order to get the most money possible out of Richmond, as this will be his major career contract.

Buddy loved the Hawks, Frawley loved the Dees, Dangerfield loved the Crows, and Goddard loved the Saints (so much so he cried). Didn't stop any of them making the change.

Read above.

Buddy left for a contract unparalleled by anything Hawthorn could have given him. Frawley wanted success. Dangerfield wanted to move home. Goddard was low-balled by St. Kilda and had a falling out with the coach and staff. What's Dusty's reason to leave for little more, if not the same amount of money elsewhere? He's loyal and unless we take another step backwards this year (In which case I'm an advocate for a fire sale of all stars bar Rance and complete rebuild), he wouldn't leave. Even then, I'd severely doubt it.

So let me get this straight...if you have a decent accountant you can drop down a tax bracket even though your taxable income remains the same and you'd save heaps more tax as opposed to using a lousy accountant. Interesting theory...
Pretty much.
I sense the sarcasm which means you have much to learn about depreciation, negative gearing and off balancing your profits to other places and yes a good accountant/financial planner will help you much better than an average one.

Pretty much.
I sense the sarcasm which means you have much to learn about depreciation, negative gearing and off balancing your profits to other places and yes a good accountant/financial planner will help you much better than an average one.
Off balancing profits?

A) That doesn't make sense
B) Dusty isn't a business. He doesn't make "profits."

Buddy left for a contract unparalleled by anything Hawthorn could have given him. Frawley wanted success. Dangerfield wanted to move home. Goddard was low-balled by St. Kilda and had a falling out with the coach and staff. What's Dusty's reason to leave for little more, if not the same amount of money elsewhere? He's loyal and unless we take another step backwards this year (In which case I'm an advocate for a fire sale of all stars bar Rance and complete rebuild), he wouldn't leave. Even then, I'd severely doubt it.
Buddy left because Hawthorn isn't in Sydney and that's where he and his girl wanted to live. Furthermore Hawthorn's best offer to Buddy was actually more money per year than what he ended up taking at Sydney.

I see Martin as being in a similar situation to Frawley. He loved his club but they had proven to be going around in circles during his time there (which was true before he left the Dees) and he wanted to take the opportunity to go to a club that was in premiership contention while it was there for the taking.

Martin may love Richmond but don't think that that means he won't make the move to a different club that he thinks has better direction in the pursuit of a premiership. And that would be most clubs at the moment.

Off balancing profits?

A) That doesn't make sense
B) Dusty isn't a business. He doesn't make "profits."
You dont have to be a business to reduce your tax. He will pay 48 cents to a dollar on his salary depending on what he does outside of football and how good the people are around him Dusty or anyone for that matter can look at investing and getting as much of that 48 cents to a dollar back.

You dont have to be a business to reduce your tax.
Can you point out where I said he had to be?

Good job ignoring the point I raised and going off on a tangent.

I know how the tax system works, its how I know that he doesn't make profits. Which is the point I was taking issue with you saying.

Can you point out where I said he had to be?

Good job ignoring the point I raised and going off on a tangent.

I know how the tax system works, its how I know that he doesn't make profits. Which is the point I was taking issue with you saying.
Dusty making profits himself was probably the wrong word used. Excuse my English as its not the best but what I lack in the English language I make up for in my Knowledge of numbers and figures.

My initiall argument was people stating why would Dusty be holding off for 50k a year when almost half of that goes to the tax man.

Now 50k over 5 years is 250k and if you are well aware depnding on how good you are with money outside of your general income you can start getting some pretty good tax benefits/returns.

For all I know he could be gone but maybe another 50k a year is all he wants. Maybe he wants more who knows but he is well intitled to earn as much as he can while playing football.

Buddy left because Hawthorn isn't in Sydney and that's where he and his girl wanted to live. Furthermore Hawthorn's best offer to Buddy was actually more money per year than what he ended up taking at Sydney.

I see Martin as being in a similar situation to Frawley. He loved his club but they had proven to be going around in circles during his time there (which was true before he left the Dees) and he wanted to take the opportunity to go to a club that was in premiership contention while it was there for the taking.

Martin may love Richmond but don't think that that means he won't make the move to a different club that he thinks has better direction in the pursuit of a premiership. And that would be most clubs at the moment.

It really wouldn't be most clubs. The only teams who are a realistic chance of winning the flag whilst dusty is in his prime are GWS, Sydney, Bulldogs and St Kilda. St Kilda, I thought, were a huge chance of getting him across for a multitude of reasons. Honestly don't see Hawthorn 1) Going after him at 1mil a year and 2) Winning a flag in the GWS Dynasty which will consume the majority of Dusty's career imo.

It really wouldn't be most clubs. The only teams who are a realistic chance of winning the flag whilst dusty is in his prime are GWS, Sydney, Bulldogs and St Kilda. St Kilda, I thought, were a huge chance of getting him across for a multitude of reasons. Honestly don't see Hawthorn 1) Going after him at 1mil a year and 2) Winning a flag in the GWS Dynasty which will consume the majority of Dusty's career imo.
1) Stop incorrectly thinking that because I'm a Hawthorn supporter that I automatically think that he's coming to Hawthorn and 2) Refer to point 1.

Back on topic... The Bulldogs have just shown us what many had doubted; that any team in the final 8 is a chance of winning the flag. Port Adelaide showed in 2014 how quickly a team can go from cellar dwellars to a kick off a Grand Final.

The teams you've listed there except for St Kilda are teams that should finish top 4 this year with or without Martin. Add Martin to Adelaide, West Coast, Melbourne, St Kilda, Hawthorn or Geelong and it makes a top 4 finish quite likely.

And of the rest, most - if not all of the teams left would likely finish higher with Martin in their side than Richmond would with Martin (controlling for injuries and fixtures).

If I was Martin I'd even be considering Carlton a better chance of a rapid rise up the ladder than I would of it happening at Richmond with its list the weakest it's been in years and no change in coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You won't win a Premiership for a little while. Nobody said Hawthorn are finished forever. I just think GWS, Bulldogs, St Kilda and Melbourne are going to shape that new Top 4 in the coming years, whilst Sydney have a better list than the Hawks also and are more likely to win a flag in the short term. No need to get juvenile over an opinion, I didn't say Richmond were going to win one either.

Thanks for the clarification ... but with all due respect you dont know the Hawks are "finished for now" that just regurgitated media talk ... do you live in an echo chamber?

For the record ... I dont think Martin will leave the Tigers at this stage, Dusty owes the Tigers. Dusty knows that so do the Tigers.

As I said earlier in the thread, it will take massive unrest and Dimma (under contract) to get the arse. However, thats one thing you can't rule out at Punt Rd ... if Dusty goes the Tigers will only have themselves to blame. Dusty is a loyal kid ... lets see if the Tigers are the same.

For the record ... I dont think Martin will leave the Tigers at this stage, Dusty owes the Tigers. Dusty knows that so do the Tigers.

As I said earlier in the thread, it will take massive unrest and Dimma (under contract) to get the arse. However, thats one thing you can't rule out at Punt Rd ... if Dusty goes the Tigers will only have themselves to blame. Dusty is a loyal kid ... lets see if the Tigers are the same.
Is it true you went to functions? Is that how you know so much?

Apparently a Melbourne based club has offered Martin 6 Million for 6 years, I'm not sure which club exactly but I have a feeling it might be North Melbourne, they have a tonne of cap room from the retirements of last year. As it stands Richmond have offered Dusty 5 Million for 6 years

He's going to cost a million a year at minimum, for Richmond or a different club.

Plays like Fyfe and Dangerfield, except he can kick.

Apparently a Melbourne based club has offered Martin 6 Million for 6 years, I'm not sure which club exactly but I have a feeling it might be North Melbourne, they have a tonne of cap room from the retirements of last year. As it stands Richmond have offered Dusty 5 Million for 6 years

He will remain in Victoria so imo he will likely go to the biggest bidder, although maybe not North given their premiership window opportunities.

He will remain in Victoria so imo he will likely go to the biggest bidder, although maybe not North given their premiership window opportunities.

We'd have just about the most cap room in the AFL at present.

Having just recruited his best mate probably helps as well.

We'd have just about the most cap room in the AFL at present.

Having just recruited his best mate probably helps as well.

Yeah Im not saying he wont go to you guys, I guess it just depends on what he wants out of life. Definitely the bigger offer by the best Club is where he will end up.

Saints could be a smokey. They would be a great fit for him. About to hit the 8 and a good young team too.

Yeah Im not saying he wont go to you guys, I guess it just depends on what he wants out of life. Definitely the bigger offer by the best Club is where he will end up.

Saints could be a smokey. They would be a great fit for him. About to hit the 8 and a good young team too.

They've already ruled themselves out.

200k/year difference is a fair bit over a 6 year deal.

Either way, Richmond are going to have to cough up.

They've already ruled themselves out.

200k/year difference is a fair bit over a 6 year deal.

Either way, Richmond are going to have to cough up.

But do you guys really need a player like Martin? Really you are going through a rebuild stage.

I like the look of our new recruit. ;)

On a serious note I think 1 Mill a year will be the starting point, chance of playing in a Premiership is also a strong lure.

Hawks will have a decent amount to spend after Gibson,Hodge and possibly Burgoyne retire this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back