Dustin Martin

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Another 10 votes from the coaches. Going well, keep it up.

Doing all right Dusty is :thumbsu:

AFTER RD 6

1. 35 Chris Judd (Carl)
  2. 33 Jobe Watson (Ess)
  3. 29 Dean Cox (WC)
  4. 27 Matthew Boyd (WB)
  5. 27 Marc Murphy (Carl)
  6. 27 Dane Swan (Coll)
  7. 25 Brent Moloney (Melb)
  8. 24 Dustin Martin (Rich)
  9. 23 Scott Pendlebury (Coll)
  10. 21 Matthew Pavlich (Fre)

Knight Ryders

Premiership Player
May 23, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Glenelg
Lies, lies and statistics?

Seriously, the kid is a serious talent that is the envy of the AFL but when comparing stats with Judd of 2003 you have to consider that it is a snapshot of 6 rounds compared to 22 rounds and that in general, the game is a higher possession game.

Like I said though, great talent. Strong, goal kicking midfielders are the most wanted AFL players right now.

Jentleman Geff

Club Legend
Suspended
Aug 11, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Lies, lies and statistics?

Seriously, the kid is a serious talent that is the envy of the AFL but when comparing stats with Judd of 2003 you have to consider that it is a snapshot of 6 rounds compared to 22 rounds and that in general, the game is a higher possession game.

Like I said though, great talent. Strong, goal kicking midfielders are the most wanted AFL players right now.
Increase in possessions from 2003 has been mostly made up of the handball. Martin hardly ever uses the handball. That's why he is so high quality. He's racking huge numbers of kicks, and few of these are cheap kicks in the backline.

folester41

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
LFC
as much as he deserves all the credit, martin still has alot to do to become as good as we all think/hope he will be.

needs to add a defensive side, needs to be more consistent with his kicking and imrpove his short kicking, and at times when he gets excited he just blazes away and kicks it long despite it not being the best option.

but of course, his deveopment for a kid of his age is as good as you can get, and im thankful that we finally have a few players who are capable of being among the best players in the league.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Hardwick has been at four clubs - Essendon, Port Adelaide, Hawthorn and Richmond - since being recruited in 1994, but cannot find an equal to the man from Castlemaine.

"(With) Dustin Martin, it's hard to know where to start," he said.

"I don't think I have seen a more significant impact for a second-year player in my time in AFL.

In Hardwick's time he has played with or coached stars such as Lance Franklin, Cyril Rioli, James Hird, Matthew Lloyd, Gavin Wanganeen and Shaun Burgoyne.

:thumbsu:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...-damien-hardwick/story-e6frepf6-1226049403490

JR78

Team Captain
Apr 8, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Norwich City, Los Angeles Clippers
If what I read is correct - Dustin will win the Brownlow, be All-Australian and challenge Leigh Matthews as the greatest player of all time. All in his 2nd year!

Good young player but please.......

Selwood got a game in a gun team, pushed seasoned midfielders to the side and dominated in BIG games....finals, grand finals. All in his first season.

I'd suggest you get a tape of Chris Judd's first two seasons too.

Martin played well against North who were winless, then the Lions who were winless. Might be a great in time - but lets not get carried away here guys.

The reason the Tigers haven't tasted success is because pressure is placed on their players too early and coaches have been too scared to rebuild - until now. Slow and steady wins the race.

sTeeL

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
There is a good reason our club had Martin #1 in the draft that year ahead of Trengove and Scully. Kid is fantastic.

Because North is a fantastic judge of young talent?

Digs at North's recruiting aside, your all bloody jealous. There's only 1 recruit in the past 5 years who has come close to Martin's impact in his first 2 season's and thats Stephen Hill. Martin has it all and will be a bloody fantastic footballer. Would comfortably fit in every teams 22 at the moment.

Oct 3, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
If what I read is correct - Dustin will win the Brownlow, be All-Australian and challenge Leigh Matthews as the greatest player of all time. All in his 2nd year!

Selwood got a game in a gun team, pushed seasoned midfielders to the side and dominated in BIG games....finals, grand finals. All in his first season.

Martin played well against North who were winless, then the Lions who were winless. Might be a great in time - but lets not get carried away here guys.

The reason the Tigers haven't tasted success is because pressure is placed on their players too early and coaches have been too scared to rebuild - until now. Slow and steady wins the race.

So basically you are saying you havent seen him play yet.

Because North is a fantastic judge of young talent?

Digs at North's recruiting aside, your all bloody jealous. There's only 1 recruit in the past 5 years who has come close to Martin's impact in his first 2 season's and thats Stephen Hill. Martin has it all and will be a bloody fantastic footballer. Would comfortably fit in every teams 22 at the moment.

selwood?

cats81

Team Captain
Oct 7, 2007
Svalbard
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtic
Looks like being a great player and is the kind of guy you love to watch, strong at the contest who kicks goals and doesnt need as much pace as others to make a huge impact on games. I think I may have been wrong in thinking Cotchin would be the best of the two.........very early days I guess.

Is funny seeing the Richmond fans frothing at the mouth over the bloke though, yes he is a good young player....but other teams have just as good players under 23. Fyfe has him as the best second year player in the game at the moment anyway :thumbsu:

Nov 22, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
He's playing really really well and we hope he continues to play this well or better for yonks (for us!).

Until we get to be a really decent team though he will logically be queried.

He also had a pretty handy game against Collingwood, 28 touches and 2 goals is nothing to be ashamed of for a 2nd year player against the premiers.

PumpyChowdown

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 23, 2007
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
SUNS Maple Leafs Titans Liverpool
Dusty is a freak. Absolutely love watching the way he plays. His "don't argue" is worth the price of admission alone. Still early days, but if he keeps this sort of form up, and if he actually continues to improve, then he will be unstoppable.

Tigers have a gem.

Nov 11, 2010
Punt Rd End
AFL Club
Richmond
I love the kid and he is something special but I worry about supporters setting the bar to high for a second year player. Comparing him to Judd is a bit rich at this stage for mine. I'm not trying to be a kill joy but lets see how he goes for a little longer before proclaiming him the new face of the competiton :p

Haggard H

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Including Selwood. Far easier to be impressive in a dominating team.

Des Headland.

A kid gets a bit more freedom when he's next to Voss/Black/Lappin/Ackermanis/Power or Ablett/Chapman/Corey/Bartel/Ling.

Also doesn't hurt if opposition attempts to soften up a young bloke have to answer to Brown/Charman/Pike/Michael/Scott/Scott/etc, or Hunt/Harley/Mooney/Milburn/Scarlett/Rooke/etc.

Selwood would be a gun in any company, Des may have been better at Freo with less injuries, but either way there are plenty of arguments to suggest it's easier for a kid to thrive in a top team.

Back