Dustin Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

If he can keep those averages in tact for the entire year then he'll be considered a very special player (for his age), big ask though, lots of mature age mids would love stats like those.

He's got more of the ball in every game so far this year

Code:
Opponent	Rd	Kick	Mark	HB	Disp	Goals	Bhd	Tack
Carlton       	1	13	1	5	18			3
St Kilda	2	14	3	7	21	3	2	4
Hawthorn	3	19	1	6	25			5
Collingwood	4	17	7	11	28	2		2
North Melbourne 5	26	7	7	33	4	2	1
Brisbane	6	26	3	9	35	1		2

He's got more of the ball in every game so far this year

Code:
Opponent	Rd	Kick	Mark	HB	Disp	Goals	Bhd	Tack
Carlton       	1	13	1	5	18			3
St Kilda	2	14	3	7	21	3	2	4
Hawthorn	3	19	1	6	25			5
Collingwood	4	17	7	11	28	2		2
North Melbourne 5	26	7	7	33	4	2	1
Brisbane	6	26	3	9	35	1		2
By that trend he'll have around 80 possessions by round 24.

Apparently he racked up 30 possessions in 20 minutes in an intra club game during the pre season. So could be the first player to crack 100 (and all quality too). :D

He had something like 14-15 disposals in the first quarter against Brisbane and 25 at half time. He's still only playing 80% game time even though he also plays as a resting forward for much of the game so he has the ability to get seriously high disposal numbers.

He can still get fitter and he can still work on his defensive game so he has plenty of room for improvement.

Is funny seeing the Richmond fans frothing at the mouth over the bloke though, yes he is a good young player....but other teams have just as good players under 23. Fyfe has him as the best second year player in the game at the moment anyway :thumbsu:

Funny thing is, it's not solely the Tigers supporters that are in raptures at Martin's current form, it's every bloody commentator and journo who has access to the public ear that won't let up. It's like they're all building him up so that they can tear him down.

Personally, I'm far from convinced about him. As a select bunch of Tiger posters on the Richmond board found out in the pre-season when I had a post removed, there's a few things in Dustin's life that need to be ironed out before, for example, he's considered leadership material.

I'll be a very, very contented Tiger fan to see him clock over 100 games in 3 or 4 years time without incident.

Funny thing is, it's not solely the Tigers supporters that are in raptures at Martin's current form, it's every bloody commentator and journo who has access to the public ear that won't let up. It's like they're all building him up so that they can tear him down.

Personally, I'm far from convinced about him. As a select bunch of Tiger posters on the Richmond board found out in the pre-season when I had a post removed, there's a few things in Dustin's life that need to be ironed out before, for example, he's considered leadership material.

I'll be a very, very contented Tiger fan to see him clock over 100 games in 3 or 4 years time without incident.

Fair call he is being hyped up from all angles not just Tiges fans, my bad. I hate when this happens as he is on the way to becoming a great player, but he has strung together a great few games and people end up going over the top about his abilitys and start comparing him to guys like Selwood and Judd whos first two seasons are considered the best of the past decade.

He comes across as abit of a messer and a 'bad boy' especially the image he portrays with the neck tats from such a young age. At the end of last year the club seemed to be going out of their way to portray him as a good lad who wanted to live with a club officials family for the good enviroment.

Can you spill what incident made you come to the conclusion he needs to iron some things out?

Can you spill what incident made you come to the conclusion he needs to iron some things out?

Nah, sorry mate. It's been dealt with very nicely in-house by the club, and hopefully it's the last time Dusty steps out of line. Best we move on, but I'll still reserve my judgment on the young bloke until he keeps himself in the newspapers only for his on-field exploits for the next few years. We're in for a real treat if that is the case.

Nah, sorry mate. It's been dealt with very nicely in-house by the club, and hopefully it's the last time Dusty steps out of line. Best we move on, but I'll still reserve my judgment on the young bloke until he keeps himself in the newspapers only for his on-field exploits for the next few years. We're in for a real treat if that is the case.

Why even hint to some possible off field bad behaviour if you cant back them up? If you cant back it up keep it to yourself, all it does is make people speculate about something they know nothing about.

And the off-field rumours were he likes to get on the piss, first time I've ever heard a 19 year old likes to drink, do the youth of today even drink?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently he racked up 30 possessions in 20 minutes in an intra club game during the pre season. So could be the first player to crack 100 (and all quality too). :D

Yeah but that's him vs Richmond. :D:thumbsu:

Since he played his first game he already looked the goods, better than Trengove and Scully as well.

Why even hint to some possible off field bad behaviour if you cant back them up? If you cant back it up keep it to yourself, all it does is make people speculate about something they know nothing about.

And the off-field rumours were he likes to get on the piss, first time I've ever heard a 19 year old likes to drink, do the youth of today even drink?

Mate, they're still teenagers. They muck up. They do larrikin things, like other teenagers do. This is an internet footy chat site, not a Joseph Goebbel's-style love-fest for young bloke who happens to be very, very talented at playing footy. Do we honestly need to totally refrain from posting anything that might be construed as negative?

As Tiger supporters we're banking on the likes of Dustin Martin and co to lead the next generation of premiership Tigers. But if we're gonna delude ourselves that they're not vulnerable to all of the other indiscretions and fallabilities that are characteristic of every other young bloke in western civilization, then we might too be in for one mighty big fall if things go awry. And knowing what I do (which is definitely never gonna make it onto this board or any others, but I might tell you over a beer at Tiger match sometime), this is not beyond the realms of possibility, unfortunately more so for Dusty than for, say, Brett Deledio or Trent Cotchin. That's just the way it is.

My post was one post out of several hundred on this thread, the vast majority of all those others basking Dusty in glory. Allow for a little bit of balance please.

Mate, they're still teenagers. They muck up. They do larrikin things, like other teenagers do. This is an internet footy chat site, not a Joseph Goebbel's-style love-fest for young bloke who happens to be very, very talented at playing footy. Do we honestly need to totally refrain from posting anything that might be construed as negative?

As Tiger supporters we're banking on the likes of Dustin Martin and co to lead the next generation of premiership Tigers. But if we're gonna delude ourselves that they're not vulnerable to all of the other indiscretions and fallabilities that are characteristic of every other young bloke in western civilization, then we might too be in for one mighty big fall if things go awry. And knowing what I do (which is definitely never gonna make it onto this board or any others, but I might tell you over a beer at Tiger match sometime), this is not beyond the realms of possibility, unfortunately more so for Dusty than for, say, Brett Deledio or Trent Cotchin. That's just the way it is.

My post was one post out of several hundred on this thread, the vast majority of all those others basking Dusty in glory. Allow for a little bit of balance please.

I think if your going to speculate on negatives than at least let us know what these negatives are. I like your posts but I felt I had to pull you up on this.

I have met Dusty on numerous occassions and he is a focused kid. Totally on football and becoming better. Yeah he goes out like nearly everyother 19 year old, but what you have alluded to would be totally against what I have seen from him, and other players and coaches have said about him and his behavioural ways.

Like this below article.

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au...se-to-former-mentors/2153355.aspx?storypage=0

“I thought as a 17-year-old he could have played league footy,” said Elliott, who himself played 58 AFL games at Fitzroy, Richmond and St Kilda during the ’90s.

“I’m not surprised at all at what he has already been able to come in and do at Richmond.

“He was always going to be a good player, it was just a matter of whether he had his head screwed on right, which he has and he has obviously learned a fair bit since he got down there.

“He had one of the best work ethics when he was with us. I used to pick him up from Bendigo to go to training, and we would have a kick before training, he’d then do all the training, and then stay out afterwards and have another kick of the footy,’’ Elliott said.

“His work-ethic was always good with us. I spoke to him the other week and he hasn’t changed as a person, that’s for sure.”

So again, if your going to slander the kid or allude to that type of stuff, back it up. From what I hear, he is a loyal, focussed and determined kid who wants the best for the club.

This kid is the real deal, I have no qualms about shouting it from the roof tops.

I think if your going to speculate on negatives than at least let us know what these negatives are. I like your posts but I felt I had to pull you up on this.

I have met Dusty on numerous occassions and he is a focused kid. Totally on football and becoming better. Yeah he goes out like nearly everyother 19 year old, but what you have alluded to would be totally against what I have seen from him, and other players and coaches have said about him and his behavioural ways.

Like this below article.

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au...se-to-former-mentors/2153355.aspx?storypage=0

“I thought as a 17-year-old he could have played league footy,” said Elliott, who himself played 58 AFL games at Fitzroy, Richmond and St Kilda during the ’90s.

“I’m not surprised at all at what he has already been able to come in and do at Richmond.

“He was always going to be a good player, it was just a matter of whether he had his head screwed on right, which he has and he has obviously learned a fair bit since he got down there.

“He had one of the best work ethics when he was with us. I used to pick him up from Bendigo to go to training, and we would have a kick before training, he’d then do all the training, and then stay out afterwards and have another kick of the footy,’’ Elliott said.

“His work-ethic was always good with us. I spoke to him the other week and he hasn’t changed as a person, that’s for sure.”

So again, if your going to slander the kid or allude to that type of stuff, back it up. From what I hear, he is a loyal, focussed and determined kid who wants the best for the club.

This kid is the real deal, I have no qualms about shouting it from the roof tops.

Good post Bob, and I'm glad you've had that experience of Dustin. Sounds really positive.

I've only personally met him the once and he came across a grumpy young bloke and it was like getting blood out of a stone just getting him to say anything. But then again, I've had contact with plenty of other young footballers over the years who would also have that trait, and at least one of those has ended up as a panelist on The Footy Show. In the end, I don't give a bugger about his personality, to me or anyone else, so long as he keeps kicking goals, literally and figuratively, for the Tiges.

On your first point, the last thing we want is posters spelling out exactly what hijinx our players have been getting up to on such a public forum. Even if you personally and other posters really want to know. So I'm not gonna do that - why give the muck-rakers any kind of leg up. But I'm also advising wariness before entrusting the entire future and integrity of our footy club on a young bloke who might have a bit of form and has all of the frailties of every other young bloke, maybe even more so in this case.

So far our club has handled Dustin magnificently. Plaudits to Dimma and co - they have my utmost respect. I will say, however, that if Dusty had been at least one other club I know of, it would probably be a real different story.

Go Tiges.

What a gun! Apparently has a younger brother who will be even better. As a kid was a keen cricketer who could have been a better bat than Ponting. Once saved the life of a drowning 10yo disabled girl and has been known to carry people out of burning buildings in his spare time. OK, so I'm full of s**t but you lot started it.

So had Jordan MacMahon not made his miraculous 'Im number one - twice!!' shot on goal from 50, sinking Melbourne and guaranteeing them the extra priority pick...

Maybe Richmond would have picked Trengrove or Scully who would have been available at their Pick 2, leaving Freo still to claim Morabito with pick 3, and North Melbourne snapping up Martin with pick 4.

So Richmond and Melbourne can thank MacMahon and North can curse him.

mcmahon_r1809a.jpg

So had Jordan MacMahon not made his miraculous 'Im number one - twice!!' shot on goal from 50, sinking Melbourne and guaranteeing them the extra priority pick...

Maybe Richmond would have picked Trengrove or Scully who would have been available at their Pick 2, leaving Freo still to claim Morabito with pick 3, and North Melbourne snapping up Martin with pick 4.

So Richmond and Melbourne can thank MacMahon and North can curse him.

Have a feeling Richmond still would have taken him. Just look at last year's draft with Conca. Once they decide they want a player they take him, even if they are overpaying. Martin was always dead centre on their radar.

I don't understand what all the fuss is about in expecting young kids to be 'leaders' of society just because they have good hand-eye coordination. I'm sure he's not doing anything that I and/or my friends were doing at that age. Just by looking at him you can tell he's not 'snow white'!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back