Dustin Martin's battle with depression and Anxiety

Remove this Banner Ad

GlocksTickin

Senior List
Jan 28, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Came out in the last 24 hours or so and said he suffered it last year on the back of winning the Brownlow. The weight of expectation people placed on him, and which he placed on himself caused him severe stress. It takes guts to come out and admit stuff like that and in true Dusty fashion he's displayed balls of steel. I commend Dusty as he's a true champion of our game, not just as a player, but as a person tii.

Legend.

Dusty reveals his struggle with anxiety and depression - http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-16/dusty-reveals-his-struggle-with-anxiety-and-depression

My first thought on reading this was why speak.

On reflection though, kudos. He's putting pressure on himself publicly but it will have a positive effect on the community overall. Encouraging people to confront these issues and seek help.

Clearly he takes his his pisition as a role model seriously. Frankly not what I expected given some of his press, but maybe that is the point.

It is completely understandable that essentially achieving all your goals can leave somewhat of an empty feeling. Remember premiership hero Tom Boyd also missed games the year after being the deciding factor in an amazing premiership victory.
I've wanted to do more research on this topic because I felt it myself somewhat a few years ago after achieving a couple of big personal goals. Just a 'what's next?' feeling can really overcome you. In Dusty's case it's probably heightened by having arguably the greatest individual season a player has ever had, coupled with the ultimate team success, all at the highest level in his sport. That isn't an easy thing to come back from with all the motivation and dedication required to be an elite footballer.

it is funny how most of the players who like nose candy come out and say they have some sort of depression.

Wasnt there an artie saying lots of AFL players are using depression to get around drug testing?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Not everyone who is depressed likes “nose candy”.

Some people on here need to stop bringing that up every time a player says they are or were depressed. It does not help depressed players with overcoming their battle at all.

it is funny how most of the players who like nose candy come out and say they have some sort of depression.

Wasnt there an artie saying lots of AFL players are using depression to get around drug testing?

So for cheap points you are trying to link something Martin has never tested positive to to whatever degree of mental stress/illness he has come out and spoken about?
You realise stuff like this is part of the problem yeah?

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

Well, that didn't take long at all...

So your linking Dusty with drug use, drug use with depression, depression as a way to get around drug use and back to drug use by Dusty.

All with no evidence.

Is there any evidence linking drug use with brain cancer? Hey, none needed.

I’d guess roughly 80% of AFL players “like nose candy”. Do we never treat their claims of mental illnesses seriously because a small minority are allegedly using it to circumvent the system?

I think baseless comments like this lacking evidence are part of the problem with mental health in this country and professional sports.

Player comes out just to shine some light on some depression & anxiety he experienced and immedietely someone links it to recreational drug use. On what grounds?

Whether he is or isn't using rec drugs we don't know, he certainly hasn't been sanctioned or punished for it. But even if he was, is he still not entitled to shine light on a very real problem of mental health issues?

Instead of the conversation on these issues, you've tried to snidely make it about drug abuse (on the back of zero evidence).

I liked this bit of advice:
"I stopped worrying and I was suddenly free. It was small guided steps, but I learned to live my best life and not take on board what others think of me".
I assume a lot of people can relate to that, I certainly can.
The part about starting to read also resonates. Reading is one of the antidotes to electronic device dependence, and should be encouraged.
He may not talk good, but he thinks good.

What I see in Dusty is a bloke that is a lot smarter than people think. He’s basically grown up in public ,made a few mistakes like all of us , and developed into a fine young man. Despite all of his success he’s reminded very grounded.
I hope he sincerely overcomes his issues and can enjoy the fruits of his labour when footy 8s over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d guess roughly 80% of AFL players “like nose candy”. Do we never treat their claims of mental illnesses seriously because a small minority are allegedly using it to circumvent the system?

The problem, of course, is that the AFL created this mental health loophole to drug use and we have former players all over the place claiming drug use is widespread and the loophole equally so.

This leaves players genuinely battling a condition open to just this doubt about their real state of mind.

The answer is for the AFL treat drug use as the violation it is and punish players accordingly, but to treat drug addiction as the illness it is. Drug addiction is not common place in the afl (and we really haven’t seen it since the West Coast disaster) while drug use is allegedly rampant. Perhaps counter-intuitive, but if the AFL cracked down harshly on drug use then the odds of players developing an addiction, at least during their playing years, would be significantly reduced.

Disgusting. Reported.

Really sad and disturbing how many people hold that view about mental illness.

Know a woman at work who had been abused as a child and as a result had PTSD, anxiety, depression etc. She is an incredibly empathetic person. Her "friend" told me she needs to "just get over it, lots of us have it tough".

It's pretty amazing how cold and ignorant people can be about it all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back