Richmond
Ralphy boy starting early...
View attachment 1061906
WTF.gif

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
End of the day if Dusty ended up at Sydney i for one wouldn't begrudge him in any way.He played a huge part in our not yet finished current dynasty and no one couldn't argue that he won us last years flag.
One thing i do hope for is he's stays until he reaches 300 games with us.

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
If Ralph Carr is saying this, then he may not understand something about AFL. Just because you acquire a star doesn’t mean that you’ll win Premierships like Brady is winning Super Bowls.

A good quarterback is so important to a team’s success in the NFL. That’s why a star quarterback like Tom Brady can go anywhere and win. Although NBA is a team sport as well, you can also afford to rely on a few. That’s why Lebron James can basically go anywhere and make his team win the championship.

AFL teams needs much more than just one good player. It’s why Judd and Gary Ablett (star players) didn’t win anything at Carlton and Gold Coast respectively. Nat Fyfe has made one Grand Final and won no Premierships. Even Buddy has gone without a Premiership at Sydney and this is after he moved across following their Grand Final win (meaning that they were already a good team then). If Dusty wants to win like Brady, then it would either be a long career with a competitive Richmond or him moving to an already successful team or one that just needs one missing piece. Even then there is no guarantees as with Buddy. Sydney right now aren’t there yet and you just don’t know how long they’ll stay down. They may even be on their way down after shooting up by 2025. AFL can be erratic like that sometimes.

I personally think his best shot would be to stay at Richmond because he has so much chemistry with our boys. Not sure he’ll develop that to this level at another club.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
There is no way I can see the RFC letting him go.
I doubt we'll step in his way if he decides to go down that path.
But plenty of water to go under that Bridge.
Will AFL sydney be patient enough to wait to his contract is up for FA purposes?

Soberian Tiger

Borat's cousin twice removed from village
Jul 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
No doubt Sydney want him.

But so do 16 other clubs. Including two he's already looked closely at and declined.

Just start the season and put the bs to bed.

Infamy

🐯🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Oct 1, 2004
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
Richmond
Article says he's out of contract in 2022 the same year Franklin's contract ends, but Dusty is contracted until 2024
Pretty much the end of the story right there

Would Sydney even offer a similar Franklin type deal again given how the last 4 years of the deal have gone and not winning even 1 flag with him there?

Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
No point worrying over this. He is still contracted to us for another 4 seasons and if Carr tries to push him to look elsewhere early then we will either A. Hold him to his contract or B. Get stupidly high value on the trade table. I wouldn't be surprised that if, for some reason, he wants to leave the Tigers would ask for 3 first round draft picks at a minimum for Dusty and maybe at most a third round pick.

Though, again, unless we go down the shitter this season and look to drop out the 8 in 2022; I don't see Dusty leaving.

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
No point worrying over this. He is still contracted to us for another 4 seasons and if Carr tries to push him to look elsewhere early then we will either A. Hold him to his contract or B. Get stupidly high value on the trade table. I wouldn't be surprised that if, for some reason, he wants to leave the Tigers would ask for 3 first round draft picks at a minimum for Dusty and maybe at most a third round pick.

Though, again, unless we go down the shitter this season and look to drop out the 8 in 2022; I don't see Dusty leaving.
First round pick x2 and a player of our choice as an absolute minimum.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Interesting one this. Say hypothetically a deal was done post this season, and Martin got a huge 5 year deal with Sydney. And let’s say in return Richmond gets say Sydney’s next two first rounders, say pick 6 and 10, and maybe a second round swap in 2021, mid 30’s up to mid 20’s.

Richmond then have 3 first round picks in the strong 2021 draft, and another pick in the 20’s and another in the 30’s. And then also likely 2 decent first rounders in the 2022 draft. You would have to fancy we land a star or two from that lot amongst about 4 or 5 who turn out to be good AFL players. These gun youngsters may also be arriving in time to be influenced by Cotchin, Riewoldt, Edwards, Astbury, Grimes etc.

I think there would be a lot of us that wouldn’t mind that type of scenario. But if we still look a good chance to win flags you do want D Martin on your team, without one shadow of a doubt.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Article says he's out of contract in 2022 the same year Franklin's contract ends, but Dusty is contracted until 2024
Pretty much the end of the story right there

Would Sydney even offer a similar Franklin type deal again given how the last 4 years of the deal have gone and not winning even 1 flag with him there?
It’s since been edited with the bs filter applied and that quote removed

JazMac

All Australian
Oct 3, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
When is Bolton's contract up? Maybe Carr is signaling to the Tiges that if we don't come up with a high priced contract for Bolton (and a therefore a high commission for Carr) that he will not only get Bolton to walk but will try to get Dusty to request a trade and/or definitely go elsewhere in 2025.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Interesting one this. Say hypothetically a deal was done post this season, and Martin got a huge 5 year deal with Sydney. And let’s say in return Richmond gets say Sydney’s next two first rounders, say pick 6 and 10, and maybe a second round swap in 2021, mid 30’s up to mid 20’s.

Richmond then have 3 first round picks in the strong 2021 draft, and another pick in the 20’s and another in the 30’s. And then also likely 2 decent first rounders in the 2022 draft. You would have to fancy we land a star or two from that lot amongst about 4 or 5 who turn out to be good AFL players. These gun youngsters may also be arriving in time to be influenced by Cotchin, Riewoldt, Edwards, Astbury, Grimes etc.

I think there would be a lot of us that wouldn’t mind that type of scenario. But if we still look a good chance to win flags you do want D Martin on your team, without one shadow of a doubt.
Still not worth it , prob worth 10,000 members and then some , crowds, finals and GF wins = priceless

When is Bolton's contract up? Maybe Carr is signaling to the Tiges that if we don't come up with a high priced contract for Bolton (and a therefore a high commission for Carr) that he will not only get Bolton to walk but will try to get Dusty to request a trade and/or definitely go elsewhere in 2025.
Carr has no real power in deciding what a player wants to do
He just acts on what he is told by them and works to get them the best deal possible on that advice

If Ralph Carr is saying this, then he may not understand something about AFL. Just because you acquire a star doesn’t mean that you’ll win Premierships like Brady is winning Super Bowls.

A good quarterback is so important to a team’s success in the NFL. That’s why a star quarterback like Tom Brady can go anywhere and win. Although NBA is a team sport as well, you can also afford to rely on a few. That’s why Lebron James can basically go anywhere and make his team win the championship.

AFL teams needs much more than just one good player. It’s why Judd and Gary Ablett (star players) didn’t win anything at Carlton and Gold Coast respectively. Nat Fyfe has made one Grand Final and won no Premierships. Even Buddy has gone without a Premiership at Sydney and this is after he moved across following their Grand Final win (meaning that they were already a good team then). If Dusty wants to win like Brady, then it would either be a long career with a competitive Richmond or him moving to an already successful team or one that just needs one missing piece. Even then there is no guarantees as with Buddy. Sydney right now aren’t there yet and you just don’t know how long they’ll stay down. They may even be on their way down after shooting up by 2025. AFL can be erratic like that sometimes.

I personally think his best shot would be to stay at Richmond because he has so much chemistry with our boys. Not sure he’ll develop that to this level at another club.

Beautifully thought through and written.

My only query is, was his 7 years contact a 5 + 2 year option? It would make sense that it was as both Club and Dusty would have seen that as doable back in 2017. There may well be a tick option for the Club to say Dusty your 2 year option is good to go (health/games played etc), and then Dusty will have that right to enact that option. It would also then make some sense that a senseless Ralph Carr would put all that out there now. He is a classic big noter (of himself)

Last edited:

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Typical Carr trying to stir trouble
There’s a reason for him making these comments, he’s well known for being controversial. My guess is that he’s trying to get an extension for Martin while he’s market value is at its highest.
It was reported during the week that Tiger players will be asked to take a 5% pay cut across the board. That’s a reasonable hit for someone like Martin. So just maybe his thinking is to offset that by getting a contract extension that’ll reward Dusty til his late 30’s.
Personally while I think he’s worth it I hope the club don’t go down that track.

Last edited:
Back