Rumour Dusty to the Suns?

Remove this Banner Ad

This will sound harsh but IMO the last really good game that he played was the 2020 grand final.

He on large coin and contracted for next year, unless the Tigers want to dump his salary then I think that he is either staying put or retiring

I’m not sure why the media are pumping him up as a potential boom recruit, he has been a great player, but his best days are long gone.

Perhaps this rumour is still alive?

SUNS SIGHTS SET ON DUSTY IF TRADE REQUEST COMES

Richmond remains confident Dustin Martin will be playing for the side in 2023, but Gold Coast looms as an interested suitor should the superstar lodge a trade request.

Martin has two years remaining on a contract worth roughly $1.3 million a season, but he has been linked with a move interstate due to personal reasons.

Speaking on Fox Footy, Herald Sun reporter Jon Ralph said the Tigers expected Martin to remain at the club, but that the Suns were a potential interested party.

This will sound harsh but IMO the last really good game that he played was the 2020 grand final.

He on large coin and contracted for next year, unless the Tigers want to dump his salary then I think that he is either staying put or retiring

I’m not sure why the media are pumping him up as a potential boom recruit, he has been a great player, but his best days are long gone.

He’s had a bit on the lad…an all time great that still can win games off his own boot. If he wants to come to your club you take him

I don't know if cooked is the right word. After the game he just seemed unemotional, detached and disinterested.

To be fair, he did miss some football going into the finals and was certainly underdone on Thursday.

However those last three words that you used have summed up the last year.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he hung up the boots tbh

Not from what I saw last Thursday night, he looks cooked
He was underdone, missed a hell of a lot of footy in the last 18 months, including a lot of training and preseason. Fitness would be well below where it should be.

The game he played against the Eagles when he got injured, he was BOG to that point, 17 touches and a goal from 44% gametime, he was carving them up.

I think Dusty after a full preseason of training is a much better prospect than what we've seen since the kidney injury.

In saying that, I dont see enormous value from him for the Suns. They aren't in the window in the next 2 years so he's not going to tip them over the edge to win a flag, like he could potentially do with a Sydney type team. Maybe if they are desperate to finally make finals, a few Dusty cameos could net them a few extra wins to play finals, and then his experience in those finals would be valuable?

He was underdone, missed a hell of a lot of footy in the last 18 months, including a lot of training and preseason. Fitness would be well below where it should be.

The game he played against the Eagles when he got injured, he was BOG to that point, 17 touches and a goal from 44% gametime, he was carving them up.

I think Dusty after a full preseason of training is a much better prospect than what we've seen since the kidney injury.

In saying that, I dont see enormous value from him for the Suns. They aren't in the window in the next 2 years so he's not going to tip them over the edge to win a flag, like he could potentially do with a Sydney type team. Maybe if they are desperate to finally make finals, a few Dusty cameos could net them a few extra wins to play finals, and then his experience in those finals would be valuable?
Dusty wouldn't be recruited to win them a flag, he'd be recruited to get them into finals for the first time. They were only 2 games out this year and a fit Dusty could add a few H&A wins

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dusty wouldn't be recruited to win them a flag, he'd be recruited to get them into finals for the first time. They were only 2 games out this year and a fit Dusty could add a few H&A wins
Yeh that was the final part of my post basically. Maybe given their history, they just need to make finals at any cost. Dusty a player who could probably win a match or two off his own boot which might be enough to sneak them in.

Jon Ralph said over the weekend that we were officially out of the running for Dusty because it was going to cost too much. However, the rumour about Buddy and Jesinta moving to the Gold Coast later this year may mean the Swans have cleared enough cap to bring in Dusty and perhaps Buddy will have a conversation with Stuey Dew if he's already moving to the Gold Coast in the off season. Who knows?

Im thinking the Swans have already allocated the Franklin cap space to the plethora of young guns they have coming out of contract or just re-signed.

They would be caught off guard with him wanting to play on. And won't have the money he wants.

And then you look how May toweled Buddy up last game. 4 possessions and resorted to flopping and diving to make an impact.

Dusty isn't quite there yet but he looks unfit, uninterested and out of form. Why would any club want to spend so much on a player who is past their prime?

Tigers would be giggling if someone took his salary off their hands, even half of it.

Part myth part man 16 finals 27 goals
The greatest player to ever play the game!
Mr September!
I think he’s best is behind him.
Tiges should let him retire at a reduced pay out so they have cap space then pay the rest of it in post playing ambassador fees!

Perfectly happy for him to stay and for the Tigers pay up the 1.3m per year. I really doubt he wants to go and no one at the club is going to push him out against his will. Our best player in at least 40 years if not longer.

Massively underdone for the finals but we would have needed him (and Prestia for that matter) with a couple of games under the belt to get near one of the better teams if we'd gotten any further. 100% worth the gamble.. didn't pay off.. move on..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back